Mike's Log

Sonny

Tried to start a log before but never kept it up due to limited access to a computer. Now that I have my own computer I can finally stay consistent with a workout log.

I've recently stagnated on my routine of negatives/singles, usually training 3-5 times a week doing singles and negatives on my #2 and sometimes some no-set work with my #1. After reading Greg's post on high volume I thought I'd give it a try, with a few modifications of course.

I'm gonna be using the trainer for the first week or two, then move up to my easy #1, then my hard #1, then see what I can do with the #2.

I'm gonna give myself a time limit of 30 minutes to complete as many repetitions as possible. I hope that's a good time limit, I was gonna go for 45 minutes but I thought that would be too long! Once the time is up, the gripper goes down until the next session no questions asked. I won't touch a gripper until the next session!

I'm not really sure how many sessions per week I'm gonna do this. I'm probably gonna go by feel and keep doing it until my hands need a couple of days to recover.

Yesterday I screwed around but today was my first REAL session.

In 30 min. I completed 10 sets for each hand hitting a high of 23 reps with my left hand and 30 with my right. As per Greg and Dave, if the handles don't click, the rep doesn't count!!!

Total reps left: 192

Total reps right: 237

First time I've done this so don't laugh at the numbers, especially considering some guys can hit these numbers in 2 or 3 sets. :cry

yea i remeber you had an old log.

good luck and train hard!

Edited by dannyboy

Flew out of the gates today and hit some higher numbers.

Trainer

Right Hand: 352 reps

Left Hand 268 reps

Highest Rep Count

Right Hand: 53 reps

Left Hand: 44 Reps

Lowest Rep Count

Right Hand: 23 Reps

Left Hand: 18 Reps

My forearms are on fire!

I hope I don't break my trainer doing high reps like this! I'm suprised that Dave and Greg don't break their grippers doing this high volume stuff!

Sonny, great job on the high volume workouts. They won't let you down. Hit them hard and keep hitting them.

As for the Trainer breaking with the mega reps...not very likely. :D Dave and Gamidon have tortured theirs to insane levels. I have put over 10,000 reps on my Trainer so far this year. It's still going strong.

Hey Sonny how far do you open each reps, and I would try to make each session last 1hour if I was you. Mine usualy last up to 2hours. good luck I hope you progress fast and climb the grippers.

Edited by patrick

I usually open up to the original setting distance! One hour? A little too long for me, I usually do my other training before hand so I decided to take just 30 minutes.

I could up the time to one hour on different days but I'd probably have to lower the number of sessions I was doing per week.

I train my grip 5days a week sometimes going 2 or more hours a session. If anything you should want to workout a little longer and at the same time up your number of sessions a week. Your body can adapt to just about anything if you give it time to. If your satisfied with your results than that is fine but if you think you are not where you want to be just think of how much time you are willing to put in and that is what you should expect to get out of your training. Either way I wish you good luck and hope you reach all of your goals and most important have fun while your doing it.

Edited by patrick

No set work today with my trainer.

45 minutes

130 closes left handed

141 closes right handed

Decided to do some no-set work because I've seriously lacked sweep strength in the past!

Good luck, looking forward to seeing how the high volume training works for you.

Yesterday I did some no-set work with the #1.

Right Hand: 77 no set closes

Left Hand: 73 no set closes

Although the volume wasn't that high, I felt a lot of crushing power coming through during this session.

Some more no-set work with the #1 COC yesterday.

Doing sets of 3-5 ns closes I got 50 closes for both the right and left hand. I probably could've done more but the skin on my hands was hurting too much. Gonna take today off!

You have a really good start going so just make sure you keep it up. Are you going to take a couple days off and start up with a different gripper now?

You have a really good start going so just make sure you keep it up. Are you going to take a couple days off and start up with a different gripper now?

Actually my hands feel okay today so I'm gonna do a few hard closes with my #2 and see how it goes. I guess the title of this thread is mis-leading considering I'm not really following the Dave and Greg routine but this log keeps me consistent so I'm gonna try to keep it going!!

I'm just going by feel right now!

Last night I did 10 closes for each hand using my #2. The first couple closes were pretty easy but as my hands started to fatigue I had to incorporate some forced closes with some negatives.

Also did some inverted work with my #1

Destroyed the #2 tonight getting 5 solid closes with each hand using a set just wider than parallel. The high volume no-set work I've done has helped my starting strength a lot.

Forgot to mention that I did 5 BRUTAL overcrushes with my #1 after the 5 closes I did the other night.

I took yesterday off and today I have serious rubber hand syndrome. The crush just isn't there today so I'm gonna take today and tomorrow off!

I'm starting to get more of a feel for what's working for me. Now it looks like I'm gonna stick with training 3-5 days week Mon-Fri after work because my hands are nice and warmed up. My strength is best at around 6pm after moving furniture and appliances all day!

I'm also incorporating more full body lifts as well! Did some barbell work today!

07-11-05

#2 COC

Right Hand: 3x1 (singles) 4x1 (forced closes/negatives)

Left Hand: 1x1 (single) 6x1 (forced closes/negatives)

#1 COC

Right Hand: 6x1 (overcrushes)

Left Hand: 6x1 (overcrushes)

Felt strong out of the gates but had to slow down at the end with the OC's because the knurling was just hurting too much!! The initial closes with the #2 felt a little easier this time around!

07-12-05

COC #1

Left Hand: 100 no set closes

Right Hand: 100 no set closes

I added a bit of an overcrush to each close rather than just clicking the handles. The increased variety and frequency of my training must be doing something because I felt VERY strong on these.

I started out with sets of 5 and then went to sets of 3 as I fatigued!

• 3 weeks later...

First Day Back after a bit of a lay-off. Interesting though in that I hit PR's on both hands.

I was able to complete 4 sets of 3 COMPLETE closes on the #2 COC and 3 singles with my left hand!!!

Before my lay-off I could manage maybe one single with my right hand and then I would have to rest for 10-20 minutes before being able to close it again.

Today I could slam it shut, immediately re-set, then slam it shut again etc. Topping out at 3 reps per set.

The sweep felt WAY easier today.

Rest worked for me!!