Allright, Rephrased- Starting A Grip Federation

Bob Lipinski

I've had a state comp for 3 years now. Getting regular competitors and I will be starting records after this year.

Anybody else want to form a loose association for some kind of federation?

Bob, I would be happy to promote and host a Southwestern grip contest using the same events and rules. I think that if we could get some more committments from people that we could all split the cost of the equipment the Europeans use and have standardized equipment (rolling handle, one hand deadlift handle, pinch apparatus disks, vbar) shipped between us. Let me know what you had in mind.

I like the idea of regionals feeding into nationals. Here we'd probably need 5 regions. Northwest, Southwest, Midwest, Northeast, and Southeast. Maybe have them in Washington, west Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Georgia?

Clay's idea about standard equipment that travels around the country would probably work well.

Well done Bob for trying to get this going. I think it certainly is possible. Remember Powerlifting started off very small.

David

Well Clay, I was thinking we could start small-

Share a general list of lifts, records, and rules of performance.

As it all grows, we can discuss buying the European implements, and shipping standard implements back and forth.

I haven't really gotten to the point of using standardized events for every contest yet- I am thinking along the lines of strongman for now, having maybe a pool of 10 events or so, and pick along the lines of general categories- Grippers, Bending, Pinch, Thickbar, and miscellaneous.

Of course, I am flexible on almost all of this.

Let me know Clay! After this next grip comp I am going to compile a list of records in the events I want to keep around. If either of us bother to write a general set of rules, I am game.

Like I wrote before, my aim is to start small and complicate only as necessary. In this stage, an association between promoters who follow the same set of rules and standards is what I think the priority should be.

Kinda paraphrasing my point above-

I think the first attempt at a grip federation failed because there was lots of rule making and no real participation.

If we get people promoting events first, then grow a federation from that, we will succeed.

If we get people promoting events first, then grow a federation from that, we will succeed.

What, you mean all talk and no action isn't a viable way to form a federation? BAH!

Sounds good so far Bob. Jeff's idea about the 5 regions would work. Here's a proposed list of how the regions could be separated. I also included what it might look like if there were only 4 regions. I'm not attached to either idea and invite discussion of the subject.

http://www.castledarkmoor.com/strongman/gr...ionregions2.doc

Microsoft Word document.

I would be happy to chair the southwest contingent and I would guess that Bob could be talked into heading up the Central/Midwest region. Any other takers? Once there is a core group of people who agree to promote meets in their area, we can discuss dates, rules, etc. Imagine that - a single calendar with every grip meet for the year etched onto it!

Edited by ClayEdgin

Let me ask you a question, all. Why would it be so necessary to standardize everything? Strongman lifts are not standardized.

While having standardized events is good, I see no reason why every single contest has to have the same exact events every single time.

I am all about this federation. Have been for two years now. I'm glad to see there is some interest throughout the country.

-Jedd-

Having the same events all the time WOULD be boring. But someone mentioned above having a pool of, say, 10 events to choose from. And the events that use standardized equipment can have records set on them and be recognized internationally. I don't think having the same five, standardized events would be a good idea because that would get dull quick. Maybe have a couple standardized events using identical implements as other contests and then some other variety of events.

Jedd and Smitty, since you guys have successfully hosted the largest grip contest in the US to date, your input is especially welcome!

Let me ask you a question, all.  Why would it be so necessary to standardize everything?  Strongman lifts are not standardized. 

While having standardized events is good, I see no reason why every single contest has to have the same exact events every single time.

I am all about this federation.  Have been for two years now.  I'm glad to see there is some interest throughout the country.

-Jedd-

Strongman competitions are a bit of a show as well. In most sports events are standardized so its not so very strange that some of us want that for grip competitions as well.

Do you find it boring that the basket always has the same diameter and always is placed at the same height in basketball? :upsidedwn

Jedd, Clay sums up my opinion. I want to have some records, but this does not mean standardized stuff every contest.

Mikael, my main reason for not having standardized stuff is so I can change the events based on what people like and what they don't like. Although I am starting to see more and more serious competition, the first meet especially was made up mostly of my friends who showed up just for a good time and to help me get this thing off the ground. Adding events familiar to them was the best way to generate interest and competition among them.

Clay, couldn't get your file to come up.

The regionals idea is fine.

Right now though, I think the best thing is just to get at least 4-5 promoters together. Even though say Michigan and ohio are close, there are enough guys in each state to have two decent competitions.

Clay, thanks for volunteering. Jedd, do you want to be involved?

Anybody else?

Bob,

We're definitely in....

We can even look at making GGC the US Grip Championships - I think because of the location and depth of competition - it would be a good fit.

Thanks Dave! I would be interested in whatever standards of performance you guys develop. It would be nice for some of the contests here to measure to European standards, and allow records to be set.

Smitty, that sounds fair enough.

SO basically, we have 3 promoters- Diesel Crew, Clay, and myself.

If that's it, then I guess that is where we'll start!

If you guys want to work together to get a pool of common lifts to contest and keep records on, let me know.

Only the broadest possible level of standardization is needed, just to keep some sort of records if that is what we want. Not far enough along to get too picky yet.

I can take charge of the record keeping/updating.

I have the software and can upload it to the site - and dedicate a page to the Euro and American Records

David/Mikael: could we pull all the records together and put them on a dedicated page on Diesel?

Guys,

I am not sure how much time Brian Carlton spends on the board anymore, but I know he has also put on a lot of contests - also Jeff Peterson and Dave Ostlund should be consulted as I believe they are both friends with him, and they also have experience running strongman events. Just an idea.

Also take note that Kevin Fulton has run contests out west. Perhaps he has a say in this - should we talk to him.

Or, is the fact that these guys don't come on the board enough cause to exclude them? Just a thought.

I personally think Brian should definitely be involved. I have only spoken to Kevin one time by email and know very little about him. Shout out to ben Edwards - weren't you a contact for him before for me, BenCrush?

Thanks,

-Jedd-

I will certainly help as much as I can. It would be good maybe to set a time and have a good chat in the chat room.

David

Yes Brian and Kevin are good men, and Kevin has been running contests for years.

These 2 could help your proceedings big time.

David

Shoot, I remembered Brian but forgot about Kevin.

It would be great to get in touch with the guys who run these things.

Really, I don't care completely about specifics at this point. Basically, if someone is running a decent contest, we can tell them about what they are doing, get some contact info, and see if they want to be associated with us.

That at least is my vision.

Smitty, go for it! I am going to organize some michigan records soon. I already have a very half-ass web page started.

The standardization of everything is the last thing I am worried about now. We just need participation.

We can discuss the standards we want, put some into place, and if we get a few promoters who don't agree with everything down the road we can hash it out then.

I don't think Brian and Kevin should be excluded from this if they're interested; they both have a TON of valuable experience. Anyone know how to get in touch with either one?

I've already gotten in touch with Brian. He posts here and there at the P+B.

How about 10 o clock on Friday night, David? Where's that put you?

-Jedd-