Starting A Grip Federation

Bob Lipinski

As far as vbar's go why don't you make the FBBC V-Bar the standard piece of equipment? They are inexpensive and cheaply shipped in the US.

Also who friggin cares if there are minor variences in equipment for the records as long as the equipment is pretty close to being the same.

In NAS Strongman for records they don't specify that a specific bar or log or FW implements needs to be used for a record. It just needs to weigh the right amount and the lift be judged by a NAS official for it to count.

Edited by Incindium

That is what I would like to do Jesse. I'm pretty open to ideas though.

Shit, I don't think I will be able to make any scheduled chat this weekend. Family is visiting, and we have all kinds of plans.

I can go with the flow though.

Mikael,

What if....we made a pinch set up, v-bar, and OHL handle out of American steel to the dimensions of the Euro equipment. Then took those (American) implements and tested them alongside the Euro version and found no significant statistical variation between the two sets of imlements.

Would this satisfy your reservations about including records set on the hypothetical American implements in your overall lists?

Mikael,

What if....we made a pinch set up, v-bar, and OHL handle out of American steel to the dimensions of the Euro equipment.  Then took those (American) implements and tested them alongside the Euro version and found no significant statistical variation between the two sets of imlements.

Would this satisfy your reservations about including records set on the hypothetical American implements in your overall lists?

I think that's a good idea! Comparable equipment is necessary to list records!

If this is not possible we should use at least the same equipment in the top comps like the GGC and the Europeans (with the disadvantage of the reduced possiblity to enter the record lists). That should reduce the postage costs to a minimum.

As far as vbar's go why don't you make the FBBC V-Bar the standard piece of equipment? They are inexpensive and cheaply shipped in the US.

I am not sure if you are referring to me here. The LGC v-bar is the standard in Europe (and soon also in Australia) and I suppose the FBBC v-bar could be a standard in the US. In order for me to recognise records set on a FBBC v-bar as fully comparable to those set on a LGC v-bar, somone would have to send me a FBBC v-bar and I would then conduct a very thorough testing program.

Also who friggin cares if there are minor variences in equipment for the records as long as the equipment is pretty close to being the same.

I care. Would you care if someone broke the 100m sprint record and it would be approved even though the track was only 99m? I think most in the US would prefer a WR set by them to be recognised as such also outside of the US.

In NAS Strongman for records they don't specify that a specific bar or log or FW implements needs to be used for a record. It just needs to weigh the right amount and the lift be judged by a NAS official for it to count.

This is not NAS Strongman.

Mikael,

What if....we made a pinch set up, v-bar, and OHL handle out of American steel to the dimensions of the Euro equipment.  Then took those (American) implements and tested them alongside the Euro version and found no significant statistical variation between the two sets of imlements.

Yes it would provided I would be able to take part in the testing too. I would accept testing of the One Hand Lift Handle and pinch discs to be carried out by David Horne (as well as by you guys) as the shipping would be less to England than to Australia I would guess.

You test our equipment and we test yours.

A cheaper way would simply be for you to have your own national records (I could help keeping a list of them). This would still be far better than having no standardized records at all. There is a risk that the pinch discs for example are never found to be comparable. It would be very, very expensive to ship pinch discs back and forth across the Atlantic all the time until a perfect match is found. Its better in my view for you to have your own pinch standard and then perhaps a few competitions with Euro discs (as I believe some have been ordered).

Mikael,

Yes it would provided I would be able to take part in the testing too. I would accept testing of the One Hand Lift Handle and pinch discs to be carried out by David Horne (as well as by you guys) as the shipping would be less to England than to Australia I would guess.

You test our equipment and we test yours.

A cheaper way would simply be for you to have your own national records (I could help keeping a list of them). This would still be far better than having no standardized records at all. There is a risk that the pinch discs for example are never found to be comparable. It would be very, very expensive to ship pinch discs back and forth across the Atlantic all the time until a perfect match is found. Its better in my view for you to have your own pinch standard and then perhaps a few competitions with Euro discs (as I believe some have been ordered).

Alternatively, you find a match and send it over me and/or David Horne for confirmation/rejection.

Once you all start a fed, I'll start my own and allow tacky and stickum on the hands for every lift.

Just like powerlifting has done with all their feds, quarter squats, illegal benches, and ridiculous equipment and judging.

HAHAHAH!

Just a little joke in all the serious discussion.

:upsidedwn:yikes

Wannagrip droppin' bombs!

-Jedd-

Once you all start a fed, I'll start my own and allow tacky and stickum on the hands for every lift.

Just like powerlifting has done with all their feds, quarter squats, illegal benches, and ridiculous equipment and judging.

HAHAHAH!

Just a little joke in all the serious discussion.

:upsidedwn  :yikes

You do that chief. I'll start mine also. 1 hand lift will be done with chalk, tacky, a strap, and then the lifter will have the handle chained and locked to their arm. V-bar will be knurled, have finger grooves, tacky, chalk, and the lifter's hand will be taped very tightly with duct tape to the bar. Pinch lift will be tacky, chalk, and the lifter will have a pair of vice grips attached to the top of the plates, also taped to the handles of the grips. All of this will be done infront of 3 blind folded family members and for all lifts the lights will be turned off. We will trust the integrity of the lifter as to whether it was a good lift or not.

So your federation will suck!!!!!!

Sorry guys. I didn't mean to pull it off topic. :cry My bad.

My opinion is that whatever it is for a fed, let's have UNITY and take what happened to powerlifting as a lessons learned.

I'd be more than willing to host the new federations web site on the Cyberpump server.

Probably won't make it to chat today. One thing I got to thinking about. If there were two sets of records, Euro's and AM's, when the time came for a global meet I think a decent idea would be to alternate equipment by the year. If there wasstill some argument about the equipment being the same that would be a good way to let both sides get a shot at one anothers equip. Start with the Euro's equip, next global meet, go with the AM. That is if we do not unite the records under on category, if that happens then it won't matter.