What Qualifes As "closing" A Capt Of Crush Gripper

pelicanman

Inverted, so basic yet so neglected, and all the setting distances apply once again.  I think inverted closes should be recognised as legit, for most people it will take a hell of a lot more force to close inverted no set than  regular no set, how ever the opposite is true for parrallel sets.

Good point!

But I can’t really agree, since I see inverted closes as a different exercise compared to regular closes with a gripper. Even if both exercises do correlate somewhat to each other they can’t be counted as ”equal”, therefore it would not be logical to approve of inverted closes as legit in the standard ”grippers moment” in a competition if it wasn’t as a separate part of the competion.

May we'll see certs for inverted closes in the future.

I wasn't saying the way I prefer just what seems to be the most used, but then again when I close a #4 I am happy to shut it any way possible.

My rational is this: if you can close the #4, whether it is set, no-set, TNS - and you do it with ONE HAND.... then brother, you have accomplished a tremendous feat of strength no matter how you cut it!

Satisfying the requirements of certification with IronMind is another matter. There are guys that can close the #4 but cannot do so according to the certification process required by IronMind.

i agree. the new rule will set ppl back from certifying

Simply, parallel setting can be a step on the way to a CC close or TNS close...so it is a viable method of training.

personally i prefer no setting and am not happy closing a gripper until i have no set it, but that's just me,

That's my thinking about it too. Anything less than no-set may still be extraordinarily difficult and well beyond my means, perhaps forever, but ... it's still a bit of fudging. You either close the things or you don't. I can see angling it in your hand this way or that, but basically I think anyone outside the gripper world too would consider it a close when you take it from fully open to closed, not skip some steps along the way.

personally i prefer no setting and am not happy closing a gripper until i have no set it, but that's just me,

That's my thinking about it too. Anything less than no-set may still be extraordinarily difficult and well beyond my means, perhaps forever, but ... it's still a bit of fudging. You either close the things or you don't. I can see angling it in your hand this way or that, but basically I think anyone outside the gripper world too would consider it a close when you take it from fully open to closed, not skip some steps along the way.

Well, we aren't to be judged by common people that doesn't understand what griptraining is for the result of our training I hope? If you're just training to impress "everyday people" maybe you should reconsider your goals. (no personal pun intended)

Setting a gripper has several purposes, and those purposes is not to "cheat"...

But that is just my opinion, and yours is yours, which I respect.

Simply, parallel setting can be a step on the way to a CC close or TNS close...so it is a viable method of training.

Yes Pdoire, I agree absolutly, a deep set can then progress to parrallel which then can get wider and wider and on a strong day I can get the IM#2 like this.

Back when I first shut it metal to metal was while it was choked, logic denotes we then get stronger and ergo can close it from a wider set.

As per IMs rules, old news, i'm more interested in shutting stronger grippers (any which wayz) than certifying on them.

Digz.

Well, we aren't to be judged by common people that doesn't understand what griptraining is for the result of our training I hope? If you're just training to impress "everyday people" maybe you should reconsider your goals. (no personal pun intended)

Setting a gripper has several purposes, and those purposes is not to "cheat"...

But that is just my opinion, and yours is yours, which I respect.

Yes, this is why it makes no sense for me to reconsider. I just have my own way of seeing things, which is at least as valid as any other. To tell you the truth, I never even considered who might be impressed or not by any closing; that's something you brought in on your own. I only commented on how I thought most people would probably think closing a gripper was a simple affair, done full range, rather than something you had to be somehow "qualified" or in-the-know to even be able to see properly.

Of course, I could be wrong; it just strikes me that the average guy sees things in a straightforward way first, and finds extra rules and explanations suspect, and sometimes a sign of a bit of a con going on.

As you note, though, we all have different ways of seeing things, and as I noted, knowing how hard it is to close these grippers whatever way is chosen, I'm not about to trivialize the achievement of closing them. My own accomplishments on grippers will remain trivial for some time to come, and I'll be in awe of most people on this board, and well behind them, for the foreseeable future.

I do kind of wish the certs would all be no-sets, though. It would just feel more right to me.

About 50% of the people I ave handed the grippers to, think/thought that getting the handles parallel was "good enough". It's hilarious.

My Stepdad took the trainer to full close, and said "Easy...whats next"

I hand him the 1....and tell him to keep the ends toward me. He gets it to just beyond parallel, and says "I thought you said these were hard" :rolleyes:

I said "they are...when you close that 1...come see me."

He lost interest.

And my thought on the set style/opinion.

I go with the cc set. I dont even clamp my grippers beyond parallel. Yet :D

I want a strong sweep....cause of the smaller hands. So I train the full range of motion.

n8

It seems to me that most people who think that the no set stuff is "the one right true way" have huge hands.

I have always done a set even before I went to the gripboard and knew what it was. Doing a no set close on the average IM gripper is like doing a bench press with the uprights really high- I can't reach the thing, so it just doesn't make sense to do it that way.

Regardless though, noset closes are cool to work with now and then, especially when you have grippers that reasonably fit your hand.

I do kind of wish the certs would all be no-sets, though. It would just feel more right to me.

So it hurts your feelings to see someone close a gripper with a set.

You need to remember that a set can be the exact same as a noset depending on the size of the hand of the individual. The cert that I'm working on might as well be a noset but that doesn't bother me, the credit card. I like the variety in all the different certs, Something for everyone. This thread could go on for ever and people will still have different views so I say lets just train and get stronger and drop this for now.

Read what you wrote and you should see where I got it from. Wasn't trying to get personal. Sorry if you took it that way. :)

Exactly patrick. Train however you want, screw this arguing business.

Well I think it's fun discussing, and very interesting to hear other peoples view, but you're right, no arguing :)