What Qualifes As "closing" A Capt Of Crush Gripper

pelicanman

Newbie question -

I've just received my Captains of Crush # 1 and # 2 grippers. What consitutes an official "closing" of the grippers? Do the handles have to touch metal to metal or is making the handles parallel with an inch or so separation considered "closing" them?

Handles have to touch.

For official #3 closes the rule is currently (i believe) that the handles have to be a credit cards width apart or more before you make the crush attempt. This limits people from setting the gripper half way closed with two hands before crushing it.

good luck, and dont just close the grippers, GRIND them !

~Steve

handle touch...metal to metal.

-Jon

For your information there are several different rules for closing a gripper, the most popular is probably a close with a parallell setting of the gripper handles since it basically eliminates the advantage of larger hands. You can read a lot about this just by searching the board.

Good luck gripping!

Pelicanman were you being serious about handles only being parallel with an inch or so separation considered closing.

Thanks for all replies

With the gripper in my hand the handle separation at parallel is actually more like 1/3 to 1/4 inch. I can make the # 1 touch metal to metal, but the # 2 is stopping at approx the parallel separation mentioned above. Just out of curiosity I forced the # 2 gripper closed using my other hand as an assist, it's remarkable how much *more* force beyond just holding it parallel is need to actually close the # 2 metal to metal.

...it's remarkable how much *more* force beyond just holding it parallel is need to actually close  the # 2 metal to metal.

Wait till you are trying to close a #3... :)

May the force be with you. Always. :bow

For your information there are several different rules for closing a gripper, the most popular is probably a close with a parallell setting of the gripper handles since it basically eliminates the advantage of larger hands. You can read a lot about this just by searching the board.

Good luck gripping!

FYI that's not true. It's a method for getting it closed as opposed to the way that Randall J of Ironmind wants to see if being done for a person to be certified by him.

Pelicanman were you being serious about handles only being parallel with an inch or so separation considered closing.

Thanks for all replies

With the gripper in my hand the handle separation at parallel is actually more like 1/3 to 1/4 inch. I can make the # 1 touch metal to metal, but the # 2 is stopping at approx the parallel separation mentioned above. Just out of curiosity I forced the # 2 gripper closed using my other hand as an assist, it's remarkable how much *more* force beyond just holding it parallel is need to actually close the # 2 metal to metal.

No it's not remarkable it a consequence of physics. The resistance of a spring is progressive.

Good luck gripping!

FYI that's not true. It's a method for getting it closed as opposed to the way that Randall J of Ironmind wants to see if being done for a person to be certified by him.

Yes but Ironmind is not the only place to certify on different grippers, and more important the most common rule used in competitions is the parallell setting, I think?

As a minimum yes - I choose not to. In the Brits it was 20mm. However, as an argument your point only has some validity if 1) you plan on competing and or certifying and 2) everyone else uses the 'common' method. I don't and I plan on shutting a 4.

Also, while Ironmind isn't the ONLY place, it is the most widely recognised. There was and is a very good reason for the alteration to the paralell setting rule which has been discussed ad-infinitum/nauseum (so I wont bother).

...it's remarkable how much *more* force beyond just holding it parallel is need to actually close  the # 2 metal to metal.

Wait till you are trying to close a #3... :)

May the force be with you. Always. :bow

I'm a fairly brawny guy, but this gripper stuff makes me feel like a little girl. I saw that gripboard linked video of the guy closing the # 3, then while holding it closed doing some wrist acrobatitics with an extended 5 lb sledgehammer with the other hand.

When I saw that shit it made me fell ...umm... not so rugged.

As a minimum yes - I choose not to. In the Brits it was 20mm. However, as an argument your point only has some validity if 1) you plan on competing and or certifying and 2) everyone else uses the 'common' method. I don't and I plan on shutting a 4.

Also, while Ironmind isn't the ONLY place, it is the most widely recognised. There was and is a very good reason for the alteration to the paralell setting rule which has been discussed ad-infinitum/nauseum (so I wont bother).

Ok I'm sorry to have upset you, I should not have called it common... I only wanted the guy asking to know there were no "absolute" rules in gripping yet.

Actually Zakath is probably right in saying the most popular way is probably a close with a parallell setting of the gripper handles. You may not like it but I would say it is the most popular. Maybe we should set up a vote about it to find out for sure what the most popular way is. Either way I say just close the damn thing.

Edited by patrick

personally i prefer no setting and am not happy closing a gripper until i have no set it, but that's just me,

I wasn't saying the way I prefer just what seems to be the most used, but then again when I close a #4 I am happy to shut it any way possible.

Edited by patrick

Actually Zakath is probably right in saying  the most popular way is probably a close with a parallell setting of the gripper handles. You may not like it but I would say it is the most popular. Maybe we should set up a vote about it to find out for sure what the most popular way is. Either way I say just close the damn thing.

Great idea patrick, I will start a poll, no pun intended mobsterone.

EDIT: But first, which alternatives, these are the ones I can think of directly:

Deeper than parallell

Parallell set

No-set

Table no-set

Credit Card set (2")

1" set

1"-1,5"

1,5"-2"

other (please write)

And the poll will be about max-out single attemps I figure, so no repping. Anything I've missed?

Edited by Zakath

Inverted, so basic yet so neglected, and all the setting distances apply once again. I think inverted closes should be recognised as legit, for most people it will take a hell of a lot more force to close inverted no set than regular no set, how ever the opposite is true for parrallel sets.

Actually Zakath is probably right in saying  the most popular way is probably a close with a parallell setting of the gripper handles. You may not like it but I would say it is the most popular. Maybe we should set up a vote about it to find out for sure what the most popular way is. Either way I say just close the damn thing.

Great idea patrick, I will start a poll, no pun intended mobsterone.

EDIT: But first, which alternatives, these are the ones I can think of directly:

Deeper than parallell

Parallell set

No-set

Table no-set

Credit Card set (2")

1" set

1"-1,5"

1,5"-2"

other (please write)

And the poll will be about max-out single attemps I figure, so no repping. Anything I've missed?

It doesn't matter how people close grippers or which method is the most popular if that isn't the way that they can certify with Ironmind. Else you'd get results like: 'with a vice', or 'under my foot'. It seems to me more likely that some people are looking for the most popular way (read easist) as a means of taking the laziest route. That's all well and good but two things happen. 1) is that if you get the chance to show off with the guys at work etc etc they would use a no-set and so consider any other method cheating and 2) it's not the way to certify with the most popular scheme.

So are you saying I'm looking for the easiest way or lazy way. I would hope I misunderstood you. Being curious about what people thinks is not looking for an easy way. And you say (It doesn't matter how people close grippers or which method is the most popular if that isn't the way that they can certify with Ironmind) Ironmind is one of many places that you can certify, not the end all only place.

Edited by patrick

It may not be. But it is the mark by which others are compared. There would not have been a need for the MM cert or the one that HG tried to start off without the IM one preceding it. But as you'll have read I have said as much before. However, that wasn't the reasoning behind asking for popular methods was it?

There are, IMO, two reasons for the poll 1) to literally just list different methods (just ask) 2) to see which is the most popular (read easiest) and use that.

Perhaps I need to explain what I mean by easiest/laziest. While there is obviously some great degree of strength needed to close a gripper from say parallel it cannot be denied that anyone who table no sets a hard grippers is stronger. Ergo the table no set will have to work harder and is less lazy (by degrees).

Taking as written cannot I then consider that looking (option 2) for the most popular method is taking the easy route?

That said, as per my various comments on the super high rep schemes some are using (Frankyboy's thread is one) I think even using a parallel set with 100's and 100's of reps is, again IMO, too much for some. Talk of shiny red skin, blisters, sore tendons etc and more without any kind of recognised certification as yet means that more than one person will be disappointed. There have been and will be successes but generally speaking people need to find what works for them rather than ask 'what is the most popular'.

What I worry about is that there are new guys and gals coming into the grip world all the time. Any time now we will see a guy who has done no gripper work at all deep setting (having asked a similar question as you are and read through many, many posts full of tips, tricks and training methods - all good) a No 1 and convincing himself he's strong.

All trainees, regardless of where they start at in terms of strength, should do the basics first. Full range, completely open to grinding the handles together closes with low to medium reps. As they progress they can then try differing sets and rep schemes and as their foundation of hand strength is build they can then progress to trying out sweep training, over-closes, shaved handles, training with straps and more.

Unless a scheme or competition demands it the parallel close is good only as either a training method or for showing off. If you don't agree why not have a poll which says 'which is more impressive? A table top no-set close of a 3 or a parallel close of a three?

Look at it another way - using the most popular method here - parallel setting - is like arching your back and wearing a bench shirt to bench press 300lbs. You'll have moved 300lbs about 6-inches but will you have bench pressed it? I can partial deadlift over a 1000lbs but can only pull from the floor a little under 500 (489) if I was able to be judged on my top range (same as parallel) lift I'd be kicking Andy Boltons butt!

I think this thread is going to far off track. I really was only curious to what was the most popular method or most used method of closing grippers and not at all looking for an easy route. And it should be obvious to you that I'm not looking for an easy way since my training now is totally geared to getting certified on the #4 which would have to be done with a credit card set. I think you just misunderstood my intentions of creating the poll.

If your last post is anything to go by yes I have. That said we all must realise that what we do and say influences others who follow. Best of luck with your goals.

I wasn't saying the way I prefer just what seems to be the most used, but then again when I close a #4 I am happy to shut it any way possible.

My rational is this: if you can close the #4, whether it is set, no-set, TNS - and you do it with ONE HAND.... then brother, you have accomplished a tremendous feat of strength no matter how you cut it!

Satisfying the requirements of certification with IronMind is another matter. There are guys that can close the #4 but cannot do so according to the certification process required by IronMind.