Which Grip?

Guest Brian S

Guest Brian S

I have recently got into the CoC, and I'm progressing quite well.  However, I do a martial art that involves lots of grabbing (both other peoples arms and their clothing) as well as striking with the hands.

Can anyone recommend any grip work that will assist me in this?  Thanks.

You might want to try this: suspend one or more COC Trainer handgrippers from the ceiling (using a string tied to the spring) and practice quickly grabbing and crushing the grippers. Also, you might want to develop a Kata that incorporates grabbing, crushing, blocking, and striking into your routine.

Train smart!

Hello Brian. Strongman's advice is great for the cloth grabbing. For strength in arm / neck / leg grabs, though, you need to do some thick handle work. Thick handle dumbells, bars, or IronMind's Rolling Thunder is the ticket. PDA sells a lot of good thick handled bars and dumbells, one of my favorite grip tools is their plate loaded Inch Dumbell handle. IronMind sells a thick bar, I own it too (just used it today as a matter of fact). You could use a thick bar for all your upper body movements to gain grip and wrist strength.

Also for the cloth grab you could do towel deadlifts. Put a normal bath towel through weight plates, grab both ends of the towel in your hand and lift. Do max singles, timed holds, etc.

Hope you find something here useful. Best wishes to you in your training.

• 2 weeks later...

similar to baldy's idea

if you have a heavy duty gi, toss it over a pull up bar or rafter and hold onto the collars as you do pull ups

Guest kINGPIN

To supplement the thick bar work Eagle loops would be useful for this purpose by hanging with just the finger tips in the loops.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Brian S

The Martial Art I practice is a derivative of Judo, Kick Boxing and Brazillian Jiu Jitsu.  Check out my instructors web site - www.maxt.co.uk

Brian S

• 3 months later...

You can not go wrong with this one.Get a money bag from a bank,fill it with sand & then wrap it with a layer of duct tape.

Hold it in your right hand & toss it up in the air head high & grab it with your left hand as fast as you can. Try to rip it apart like an eagle.Do it 4 a couple of hours a-day non-stop!!

Just kidd-n....  10-50 xs or until u get tired.Dont 4-get 2 do both hands.

• 4 weeks later...

you could just walk down the street and start grabbing people and fliping them over :p ! no just kidding. that kind of grip training could put you behind bars! ???

hello Brian,

I've practised Judo for the last 25 years and represented my country in major comps and i found sand bag lifting to be exceptional for grappling.Fill an old army kit bag with sand and start curling,cleans to shoulder, snatches, clean and press , etc. You could even replicate throws such as o-goshi, morote gari, yoko guruma, etc.

Remember to just grab the canvas not any handles.Another excellent exercise is rope climbing, good for shime-waza.

Best of luck,

Chris