Sore Skin

chrlslee1

Does anyone else have a problem with doing grippers 2 days in a row due to sore skin on the fingers?

At first they probably will, until your hands adapt and get used to the roughness. That's usually the complaint people give me when they try a gripper, is that after a squeeze or two they don't want to do anymore due to the roughness on their skin. Your hands toughen though.

Maybe if you try some contrast baths or some sort of hand cream to help the skin heal? :)

Last week I started daily gripper training after a layoff and my skin was hurting sooo bad even closing the trainer! This week I doubled the volume and now I'm in my 7th day of twice-daily training--my skin is fine (but each hand is basically a giant callus :D ). You will get used to it.

I put a little piece of hockey tape on the end of the handle so the pinky doesn't get too chewed up (I found electrical/duct tape too slick and my closes were weaker--hockey tape is good!).

I also use the Ivanko Supergripper about every 3rd workout--no knurling so the skin can heal.

Use lotion several times a day (not before you workout!). This helps alot.

6 days a week with KTA----> in the beginning weeks of the program my hands killed. it seemed like every set the gripper would just tear more and more skin off my hands.

the good news is that within time your skin begins to toughen up real nice, and it doesn't become such a problem (except with the occassional run in with open blisters, etc).

i found that contrast baths just helped my hands heal (skin and muscle) nicely over the days which required a high degree of gripper output.

unfortunately, i don't get that, since my hands are already toughen up from deadlifting.

unfortunately, i don't get that, since my hands are already toughen up from deadlifting.

see that is what i thought we happen with me. i had a few years of lifting under my belt, along with some nice calluses to show, so i thought i would be set for gripping. boy was i wrong. my hands now look like a dog chewed on them :cool

Same with me. I powerlift and occasionally olympic lift and have some tough callouses. But the thing is the grippers put pressure on parts of the hand that arent touched by the bar, like the center of the palm and your fingertips.

I started using paper masking tape on my gripper handles for this reason. It's interesting that it appears to weaken the close, I guess the knurling is there for a reason even though I seriously considered sanding it down for a while.

I started using paper masking tape on my gripper handles for this reason. It's interesting that it appears to weaken the close, I guess the knurling is there for a reason even though I seriously considered sanding it down for a while.

I filed down the knurling and the sharp edge on some of my grippers where it was chewing up my pinky. I had tried various tape on the handle and taping the pinky and was fed-up with slick handles and weak closes.

I definately got carried away and wished I hadn't done this. The metal is too slick now and my pinky often slides off :( .

Now I have hockey tape on them and it has just the right amount of friction :) . Unfortunatley my #3 is harder without the tape now due to the slickness.

I wouldn't recommend sanding them down, but if you do be careful not to take off too much of the knurling.

Well from what i've tried out, i recommend ppl collagen lotion to smooth out the calluses so the next day, u're hands can be what they where when used them the previous day for working out. but unfortunately, they don't get rid of calluses though

I filed down the knurling and the sharp edge on some of my grippers where it was chewing up my pinky. I had tried various tape on the handle and taping the pinky and was fed-up with slick handles and weak closes.

I definately got carried away and wished I hadn't done this. The metal is too slick now and my pinky often slides off :( .

Now I have hockey tape on them and it has just the right amount of friction :) . Unfortunatley my #3 is harder without the tape now due to the slickness.

I wouldn't recommend sanding them down, but if you do be careful not to take off too much of the knurling.

I have the same problem on my grip machine since the handles are smooth stainless (I was too lazy to knurl it ) I like the hockey tape idea though. Masking tape is way too slick.

The Collagen cream is interesting. I have one question about Collagen in general though. I read somewhere that Collagen cream isn't effective since it can't be absorbed through the skin and that all the effects from Collagen creams are only because of the moisturising effect of the cream. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this?