V-bar

carusom1

I did a search and looked all through FAQ, so if I missed something, I apologize ahead of time.

I looked at Ironminds website but couldn't find a V-bar.

Where do get one?

Can you make one or substitute it with another peice of gym equipment?

I am also curious how everyone trains for this, since it is a regular in competition?

thank you in advance

There are a few places that sell them - try Fat Bastard Barbell - I think John has them. It's also pretty easy to make one yourself or have someone make one for you. The European standard is 25mm diameter and 24" long. Here in the states they are are usually made of either a piece of 1" HRR (hot roll round) or a piece of 3/4" pipe (measures 1.05") and 24" long. You just weld the pipe etc to a small base plate made of 3/16" or so flat plate and you've got a VbarI use 3/16" x 2" x 4" flat plate. I have each and can lift the same on all three so I see no real difference. As for training - I train the lift very seldom - actually almost never. When I do them it's usually just for one of Eric's competitions. My opinion, for whatever that's worth, is that a wide range of grip exercises and a Vbar session once every two weeks or so working up to a 1 RM is a workable way to progress. A couple things that seem to help - lots of chalk, lots and lots of chalk. Second is a kind of technique of wrapping the hand around the bar and sort of pulling the slack out of the skin of the hand as you wrap. If you watch the video of Johan's huge Vbar lift - you can see what I mean better than I can expalin it. Those two things done right may make quite a difference in the lift. Luck to you.

• 10 months later...

The ones we use at Total Performance Sports we made out of a peice of metal with a large washer welded to the bottom it works really well.