Crushing Apples With Your Hands.

Gluteus Maximus

I was reading an article yesterday that reminded me of a certain feat of grip strength performed by an icon of American Wrestling.

Here's the article:

http://news.adcombat.com/article.html?id=8950

The quote that reminded me, was from NCAA Hwt. Champ Steve Mocco After winning the Dan Hodge Award for pinning 17 Div. I athletes in route to a perfect 37-0 season.

Here's the quote:

'It's really a great honor to receive this award,' Mocco said. 'I grew up hearing stories, almost fairy tales about (Dan Hodge). I've been at little kids tournaments and seen him crush apples with his hands.'

You guys must remember, this guy wrestled back in the 50's-60's. I doubt he ever heard about heavy-duty grippers, until maybe recently. He would perform this stunt numerous times a day (whenever a kid threw him an apple and asked him nicely) and hardly flinched when he did it. :blink

I've heard of guys here squeezing potatoes and beer cans and things; How does an apple fit in? I'm sure along similar lines, but I just wanted to know- and this seems the best place to ask. ;)

Although,in wrestling (as in other sports as well), it's common to see genetically gifted individuals navigate the Darwin-like structure of kids/cadet through espior/open class, top of the game competition; but this looks like it took some extra work. What do you think he did to get like that?

I thought Greg Jones was more impressive than Mocco in the NCAA championships.

I wonder what Mocco would think if he saw Gorillahands crushing potatoes?? :D

Jones was runner-up (it was in the article), he only had five pins.

I guess potatoes are harder (remember, this is an older guy; one-handed apple crushes don't sound shabby to me.) How much harder are they? :mellow

Edited by Gluteus Maximus

In Brookfield's book, he rates the potato much harder than a COC #3.

However I don't know where that apple fits in...

Jones was runner-up (it was in the article), he only had five pins.

I guess potatoes are harder (remember, this is an older guy; one-handed apple crushes don't sound shabby to me.) How much harder are they?  :mellow

:blinkDan Hodge crushes apples for kids all the time. Did you read the whole post? :blink

Well, maybe you can tell me then- how does it compare to an apple? :mellow

Not long ago I saw a long video clip of Brookfield being interviewed by a reporter and they just walked around filming John do his Thang with steel and stuff. Then they ended up in the kitchen and John crushed some eggs with ease and then showed the art of apple crushing and it was remarked about how tough a feat this was and the hand strength required to mash a fresh solid apple into applesauce.

I also seen a clip of the Grand Master of Iron Palm John Lacey crush a couple refrigerated apples which made them more challenging, but he used more of the Iron Claw method as was no where near as fast as John. This guy has hands of steel from breaking coconuts for years but no way he has the crushing and gripping strength of John but that is now his bag I guess.

I haven't tried it yet but I bet it will be enormously challenging and I am not sure I would have the crushing strength for a feat like this. Let see someone on a clip this weekend making apple sauce out of a Granny Smith! :D

Dave, Clay, Shane Larson, or any of you grip masters out there want to show us how it's done? :blink

This guy makes it look easy.

The thing is, he's sort of old- and I don't think ever used any grippers.

What do you think he did? :blink

IMO there is no comparison between potatoes and apples. I could crush an apple well before closing a #3 and I'm still not even close to a potato but then again I haven't done the fingertip training necessary either. That's pretty cool though that he does it for kids . :bow

Edited by jad

Old Guy

Here's some info about Dan Hodge:

http://www.midsouthwrestling.com/photos-then.html

Hodge is an Oklahoma legend who is an admitted freak on wrestling and feats of strengths.

While at OU, where he was unbeaten and a national champ in 1955-56-57, Hodge entertained classmates by crushing apples and breaking pliers with one hand. He wrestled in his first Olympics at 19, was undefeated in the Navy, and won a medal in the '56 Olympics. In 1958 he won the U.S. Heavyweight Golden Gloves title, the only man ever to hold both national boxing and wrestling amateur titles.

http://www.lsb.state.ok.us/house/news7439.html

“Danny Hodge has been a dominant figure in athletics since the 1950s and continues to amaze people today with his physical prowess,” said State Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs. “How many men in their 70s do you know who can crush an apple barehanded?”

The citation declares that Hodge has represented Oklahoma “with pride, character, intellect, sportsmanship and legendary strength” and that all citizens of Oklahoma can “take great pride in his awesome accomplishments” and recognizes Hodge as an “Oklahoma Sports Hero.”

-I thought you might be interested in checking him out- quite a human being. :mellow

Before, I forgot to sdd 'breaking pliers', he did the apples casually. There's got to be another wrestler here who's seen Hodge do this. :dry

I guess Hodge had hands like pliers. Warren Tetting had a guy that use to come to his old shop that wrestled Hodge once. The guy said when they were through wrestling he had bruises and cuts where ever Hodge grabbed him. Hodge was litterally tearing chunks out of the poor guy!

Apples are purdy easy.I have video of me mash'n a raw potato.I try'd it & did it but the cam wasnt on.I got the cam & turned it on & did a second one.Its purdy hard.

:bow God Is The Real Power" :bow

I remember a Tonight Show with Jay Leno in which Bob Sapp was a guest.

Jay Leno pulled out some big apples and Bob Sapp turned them into applesauce by exploding them with his huge hands.

Speaking of Dan Hodge... quite recently he was featured on the WWE show Raw. He made the mistake of jumping into the ring where Triple H and Ric Flair happened to be, and got beat up as a result. :(

Snott I'm pretty sure if the Dan Hadge were talking about jumped into the ring with guys like flair and triple h it would be the saddest day in pro wrestling history. Cause he would kill the poor sob's at the same time.

I'm pretty sure the "pulp fiction" comment was a pun.

Either apples or potates, it is an impressive feat of hand strength, and one I would LOVE to accomplish.

n8

WWE? Recently?

:blink The man is 72-73 years old. Did you check out the links above? :blink

His tribute page:

http://www.midsouthwrestling.com/photos-then.html

This one's from the Oklahoma House of Representatives Site when they gave him his own 'day':

http://www.lsb.state.ok.us/house/news7439.html

I thought guys here would be interested in a man with such strength in his hands. Even Brookefield seems to be impressed by one handed plier breaking. :mellow

Never tried an apple but embarrassed myself trying a potato. Harder than I thought it would be...by this I mean I made it a little softer and by no means crushed it!! I leave mashing potatos to my grandma, they'll taste better.

WWE? Recently?

:blink The man is 72-73 years old. Did you check out the links above? :blink

YES, I know how old he is. And YES it was him.

And when I say he jumped into the ring, I'm not kidding. He leaped over the top rope like he was about to enter into a match right then and there! I can't remember when this happened, but it happened not too long ago.

< < I wonder if anybody reads the whole post, or just the title? :online

Sybersnott

:ohmy What?!? [i stand corrected.] I cant believe this guy. You should see him with the kids, he's a great figure for American sports in general. Haven't seen him in awhile, but I guess he's still 'kickin.' :)

Snott I'm pretty sure if the Dan Hadge were talking about jumped into the ring with guys like flair and triple h it would be the saddest day in pro wrestling history. Cause he would kill the poor sob's at the same time.

They sandbagged him, Matt. He was caught by surprise and Triple H and Ric Flair did their dirty deed and beat him up. Then they later bragged about it to Dave Batista who couldn't believe that they would beat up a wrestling legend like Dan Hodge. :(

I guess I was refering to a real close quarters situation.

If you go to the GripBoard movie gallery there are three clips from a short segment on John Brookfield. I believe in clip 2, he crushes an apple rather effortlessly, and then crushes a raw potato.

There is also a clip of Paul (Pdoire) crushing an apple.

I'd wager that to train for apples, it'd be good to start w/ somewhat rotten/overripe ones that are on the ground, and work up to fresh ones or ones that aren't ripe yet.

For potatos, you could start by boiling or baking them, then boi/bake less each time, until you can do one raw.

Tommy - would you be able to post the clip of you crushing the potato? That would be AWESOME to see. :D I've only seen the clip of Brookfield doing it, it'd be neat to see others do it too. :phone

EDIT: I may as well post the links:

Paul Doire apple crush: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=1665

Brookfield potato and apple crush: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=1579

Edited by ryaneverk2

Sybersnott

:ohmy What?!? [i stand corrected.] I cant believe this guy. You should see him with the kids, he's a great figure for American sports in general. Haven't seen him in awhile, but I guess he's still 'kickin.' :)

Go to this link. They talk about it in detail. It happened on the January 24th 2005 episode of RAW. Go down to the headline, Stacy Coming Out?

Click Here - Dan Hodge On WWE's Raw

:mellow

They can't do that.

:angry:To hell with Rick Flair! :angry:

I wish I would have been there. Limb from limb man, limb from limb.

I can't knock HHH too much though- He's got a hell of a way with women. :shifty