Bending Style

Concrete Pete

I know this is a question that depends on the person themselves but i wonder which style is the hardest to bend with? i personally have two double overhand and reverse. reverse is my main style that i am building on to eventually bend a red with.

interesting you should post this, I find most here bend Double overhand.

I personally think they are damn strong. I have to kink all hard bends with a Double underhand before I flip it for the crush.

In order hardest to easiest:

Slim Style

Double Underhand

Reverse

Double Overhand

My opinion, I could be wrong :D

I would agree with Greg mostly, but maybe my order is a little different.

Hard to Easy:

Slim :bow

Reverse

Double Under

Double Over

Braced

IMO.. :D

Hardest to easiest

Slim style

DO at waist no bracing

DU and Reverse TIE

DO

Braced (purposeful) for example, your elbow inadvertantly brushing your hip on a crush down or something similiar doesn't constitute a braced bend in my book

Edited by jad

i cant do crap double underhand im weak as hell, my best for double overhand at chest level is a hard timbertie, and my best reverse so far is a 5 inch blue. seems to be a slow progress for me but im getting there

I must be doing something wrong cause I still find DU easier than DO :(

It' hard to learn the DO technique unless you have someone physically there to walk you through it. I studied picture afer picture and different vids but until Brett showed me I didn't fully grasp it even though I thought I did. The thing that made it click the most for me was that he said your hands are just there to hold the nail in place good and tight, bringing your elbows forward and down is what does all the work. Previous to this I was killing my hands just trying to push straight into the ends of the steel.

It' hard to learn the DO technique unless you have someone physically there to walk you through it. I studied picture after picture and different vids but until Brett showed me I didn't fully grasp it even though I thought I did. The thing that made it click the most for me was that he said your hands are just there to hold the nail in place good and tight, bringing your elbows forward and down is what does all the work. Previous to this I was killing my hands just trying to push straight into the ends of the steel.

I started out using a DO style then got to the Yellow and Blue and could barely kink them. Eric Milfeld encouraged me to read Clay's article - Natural Advantages - Bending For Your Body Type over on the Diesel site and I immediately adopted the DU style and they went down back to back as soon as I could wrap them up (check out my gallery for my DO vs DU picture). Now as the bending stuff has become harder and harder I tend to kink DU and crush DO, but I am with you jad I am think I may be using to much hand by pushing straight in rather than using the elbows and traps as efficiently as I could. If anyone wants to fly to Alaska (I drove from Florida to Alaska almost 2 years ago 5,282 miles, I could have flown but my arms would have been mighty sore by the time I got to Fairbanks :laugh ) to show me I will buy the bait and we will go fishing and you can show me on the shore. :D

I have never tried the reverse - old terminator style but it looks awkward to me. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses that make a particular style more productive for them. I am still a novice bender since I only bent my first piece of steel (Green Nail equivalent 5" x 3/16" CRS) on January 14th of this year ,but I think experimentation is the key and as John Brookfield the Sage of Steel states "The best exercise for steel bending is steel bending" simple but in my humble opinion very true.

DU is much stronger for me than DO, the same goes for my friend who only does bending occasionally. Neither of us can even kink a yellow DO properly, but I can kill a blue DU (switching to DO for the crushdown) and so could probably he.

Rolle

It' hard to learn the DO technique unless you have someone physically there to walk you through it. I studied picture afer picture and different vids but until Brett showed me I didn't fully grasp it even though I thought I did. The thing that made it click the most for me was that he said your hands are just there to hold the nail in place good and tight, bringing your elbows forward and down is what does all the work. Previous to this I was killing my hands just trying to push straight into the ends of the steel.

I was/am pushing straight into the nail as well, pushing straight in while trying to bend with my wrists, but what you said makes more sense.

I can bend an average 60D double underhand, but the pain it causes my wrists is scary.

I am a very infrequent nail bender, I prefer DU or reverse grip, but have not gotten the hang of DO at all. A little hammer levering quickly cured any wrist pain.

I can bend 60Ds quickly with the double underhand. The few times I've tried the double overhand I failed with the Ironmind Yellow Nail. As in failed to kink it. At all.

Hey Eric to the comment you made about my workout on bending, funny thing is i cant bend a 60d nail. either im weak or maybe i just happen to of bought some tough 60ds. is there anyway to tell about a variance on them in strength? i rate the ones i have almost the same as a grade 5? could this be correct? thanks in advance. To all the guys in different styles bending things harder than a 5 inch blue :bow . :laugh the 5 inch ones still beat me up pretty bad.

Load up a loading pin or a strap with some weights and deadlift the nail holding the ends with the weight in the center. When it starts to bend you have an idea how strong it is. If it takes 200lbs for one and 300 for another than that one is stronger. Doesn't mean thats what it takes to bend it with your hands but its a gauge.

Load up a loading pin or a strap with some weights and deadlift the nail holding the ends with the weight in the center.  When it starts to bend you have an idea how strong it is.  If it takes 200lbs for one and 300 for another than that one is stronger.  Doesn't mean thats what it takes to bend it with your hands but its a gauge.

Thanks Mike much appreciated ,ill do that :)

Hey Eric to the comment you made about my workout on bending, funny thing is i cant bend a 60d nail. either im weak or maybe i just happen to of bought some tough 60ds. is there anyway to tell about a variance on them in strength? i rate the ones i have almost the same as a grade 5? could this be correct? thanks in advance. To all the guys in different styles bending things harder than a 5 inch blue  :bow:laugh the 5 inch ones still beat me up pretty bad.

Pete, Mike's given you a good tip. And yes, I've come across some 60D nails that started as tough as a grade 5, but I personally haven't bent any that finished quite as tough as grade 5.

By the way, keep in mind that this calibrating technique gives the most meaningful results when you compare stock of the same length. Also, be sure and grab each piece of stock you calibrate with the same hand positioning.

Will do Eric thank you very much for the info. i will test everything this week once my hands are rested up for my next session.

don't have one yet! :blink:blink but this is really great info

thanx.

just starting to get into bending, i think it has alot to do with how Gator writes about it??

LIKE WAR....... :flame:flame:flame:flame

don't have one yet! :blink  :blink but this is really great info

thanx.

just starting to get into bending, i think it has alot to do with how Gator writes about it??

LIKE WAR....... :flame  :flame  :flame  :flame

Thanks for the compliment HAMMERXT my friend. Eric I think I have infected another one. This bending is like the old werewolf movie theme once your bitten the bending beast comes out in you and then you have to bite someone else to infect them so they can let their bending beast come out. It is a vicious cycle but only for the nails they’re the real prey. We still need a 12-step benders group I think! :help

WAR- GOOD GOD YALL- WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR- BENDING-GRIPPING-PINCHING! :yikes:flame:D

Edited by GatorGrip

It was rare in my 60D experiences, but I have come across two types of 60D nails that I would compare to a grade 8. It was immediately obvious by holding and looking at these nails that they were much thicker and heavier than your everyday, run of the mill ones. I find the vast majority of 60Ds to be between a IM blue and a grade 5 bolt. I may add that I have never encountered a 60D of any type easier than a blue, unless you count a 60d timber tie.

Hey Eric to the comment you made about my workout on bending, funny thing is i cant bend a 60d nail. either im weak or maybe i just happen to of bought some tough 60ds. is there anyway to tell about a variance on them in strength? i rate the ones i have almost the same as a grade 5? could this be correct? thanks in advance. To all the guys in different styles bending things harder than a 5 inch blue  :bow:laugh the 5 inch ones still beat me up pretty bad.

Pete, Mike's given you a good tip. And yes, I've come across some 60D nails that started as tough as a grade 5, but I personally haven't bent any that finished quite as tough as grade 5.

By the way, keep in mind that this calibrating technique gives the most meaningful results when you compare stock of the same length. Also, be sure and grab each piece of stock you calibrate with the same hand positioning.

nothing causes pain in my wrists like reverse style...bending reverse is super intense.....

It is intense but this style just made me my new pr tonight i bent a 60d nail using reverse and i feel great lol " if there are two types of 60ds it is the easier one, the one with the wafflehead but i at least got one now :happy

nothing causes pain in my wrists like reverse style...bending reverse is super intense.....

It is intense but this style just made me my new pr tonight i bent a 60d nail using reverse and i feel great lol " if there are two types of 60ds it is the easier one, the one with the wafflehead but i at least got one now :happy

Congrats Pete one 60 penny down and so many more to have fun bending. Any PR is a good PR. Now no hardware store will be a safe haven for nails in your neck of the woods! :flame