Squating And Grippers

madboar

I got the hg 200,250 and 300 back in december. Closed the 200 out of the box closed the 250 about a week later. Got the 300 dowm to 1/4 inch both left and right. and I've been stuck there every since. I even struggled to maintain closing the 250. Well about two weeks or so ago I saw the video of "sarge" squating 218 for 98 reps. That shit totally blew me away. So I decided to start squating even though I can't do upper body work anymore I thought i would try to get back into squating. My pr in the squat was 300 for 20 reps about 15 years ago. So I have done a total of three sets of squats with seventy pounds on the bar for 25 reps each and one set of lunges with 40 lb dumbells. My legs have responded like mad they llok like they did 15 years ago. The best part of this is I am absolutely crushing the hg 250, an audible click when I close it. Tonight while driving home I closed the hg 300 right handed couldn't quite get it lefty though.

So I am going to build a squat rack and get some sort of device so i can hold on to the weights without trying to reach back and hold on to the bar.(shoulder problems) Maybe when i get conditioned and start using some real weights my grip strength will correspond

Madboar,

Have you considered using a squat belt? IM has a hip belt that they say can hold like 3,500 lbs. That'd remove the stress from your shoulders, back, and arms.

There are also specialty squat bars that reduce the stress on your shoulders. The "Safety Squat Bar" you don't hold onto the bar at all. The "Buffalo Bar" has a bend in the middle of the bar that makes it more comfortable across your shoulders and reduces the stress on your shoulders. Of course, I don't know what kind of budget you're looking at, but those are a couple of pretty good options for doing pretty heavy squats without stressing your shoulders. The squat belt is a good idea too, but everytime I've used one, I've ended up with pinch bruises on my hips and low back. I probably wasn't using it correctly, but that is my experience.

Be carfull squat cause increased strenght in grippers.

hate to see someone closes the gripper #4 in 3 months.

They should put a warning labell on the squats.

Squats haven’t been called the "King of Exercises" for nothing. They are one of the very few lifts that incorporate so many muscle groups at once, in theory getting the whole body growing in strength and mass. I have heard of people doing squats and their bench press going up considerably so this is not so hard to believe. madboar take that training slow and steady and I bet you will be back up there in no time.

I've been cosidering the top squat device advertised on dave drapers website.I like the concept of it because i believe one of the benefits of squats is having the weight so high up on the body it makes all of the body work. If anyone has any experience with the top squat please let me know. Or if there are any other ideas any input would be appreciated.

Thanks