2005 Im3

diesel

ok. i can't figure it out. there are so many random explanations about the new 3s on gripboard, yet nobody is agreeing and nobody, as far as I have read, has stated conclusive evidence.

so let's get some finality, huh? after all, this is many individuals' passion and sport.

are they or aren't they harder than the 2004s? did they hit the 300lb + marker, or are they still what IronMind says they are (on their website, etc)?

The real answer is that grippers vary..the 2004 were considered tough...I know mine is. But some have gotten 2004's that were easier go figure. So even if manufacturing tolerances are tightening up to some degree..there is still some variance that makes it difficult to directly answer this type of question.

right. totally understand the variances that exist within grippers, some being hard and some being easy. i was just concerned if the actual manufacturing process had increased the poundage as a result of IM wanting to make them an even tougher gripper than they had historically been. so really, if you want to take about variances, the question we should be asking is if the variances decided to all increase...so instead of the range being from a 2.8-3.2 (just a figure), it would now be 3.0-3.4.

anybody have insider info on this?

*talk about variances

if we can't find out, we should get a pool of 3s going. find out exactly the mathematical variances, standard deviations, etc. of the 2004 and 2005.

ok ok. so a little over the top. what else am i supposed to do with my business statistics knowledge?

This is the reason why the card rule was introduced. I took the one and only CoC 3 I had (and still have), trained on it and closed it. If I was just starting out I'd use the one I had just brought, train on it and close it. Read Clay Edgin's post about cheap cards and tricks etc. He stated he could hasve trained on tough cards but made a point of searching out the cheapest, easist to tear cards. Don't fret as to whether or not one year is tougher or weaker - just squeeze it shut and feel rightly smug.

Unless most CoC's sit on their laurels basking in the glory of a single feat of strength on one gripper I'd imagine many train for other feats, get more grippers, aim higher and so can pretty much shut any No 3 you put in front of them - I know I can and do.

you guys have my inquiry all wrong.

in no way am i afraid of closing my 3. as far as i am concerned, that piece of metal is going to be shut by the end of this spring semester. i totally agree with you, mobsterone, in the fact that you must aim high in an effort to close any gripper that confronts you. totally agree. that is my life philosophy. aim high until all your goals have been conquered.

i just want to know straight up what the deal is between the 2004 and 2005. straight up. there is a lot of talk about possible differences, and i am out to find the truth of this matter. no more talk about variances, no more talk about personal strength, etc. this has nothing to do with my personal strength goals or anybody's elses. this inquiry is my attempt to search the truth of the matter out, solely because i am a curious individual. plain and simple. i just want to know. whether the truth comes out positive or negative, it doesn't make a difference to me. i will keep gripping and squeezing and working as hard as anybody out there, and i hope you all do the same.

so please, i am just in search for a conclusive answer. yes it is. no it isn't. i don't want a 'it doesn't matter' (i know it really doesn't matter, but i want to know anyways). thank you

If you're trying to figure this out, I suggest you:

1. Read the IM COC book.

2. Read all the stuff on the PDA website regarding grippers, as well as order and read their "book" on gripper research.

3. Read all the posts on here over the years regarding gripper variance.

I think what you will come down to is there isn't a practical way to finely measure the difficulty of the grippers, let alone determine if one year of the same model of grippers is harder than another year.

Edited by Scott Styles

diesel-

its looks like there is no definitive answer to the #3. I understand, I like to be analytical, I like numbers. I want to know how many kg or pds I'm lifting rather than just looking at the barbell and saying, "put another red on there." I would like to know how much I'm attempting to close.

I guess that this needs to be the attitude: Take the #3, shut it, work beyond it, then it won't even be an issue any more. If they want to make the grippers tougher, and have to do credit card sets- fine, F...'em. This is only going to make us stronger. :angry:

carusom1, you are a wise man.

whatever, right? let them build whatever they want, cause I am always going to be there ready to kill the stupid things. how about that for finality... :flame

ok i'm not a rocket scientist but i'm guessing if you have a product that not many people are aware of but the ones who do all have already bought your item and sales slack up a little you have to come up with a gimmick i have original grippers 1 2 3 and 4 since 2 years ago heard the new 3 were easier so i got a new 3 not easier now they have the name ironmind on the side of them i heard plus they came out with a sport and guide plus i heard the springs are silver now more sales to be had these guys are in business to make money a card to cert on ? gripper helper? what next we all wanted a 1 1/2 a 2 1/2 a 3 1/2 and a 4 1/2 but no i guess in the future when sales go way down they might make these chances are your new gripper is harder than the other ones to get every one to buy more :trout

• 2 months later...

we should get NASA involved. now, i'm lost. :help

Yes their differents in sweeps lenghts of the #3 gripper and some are almost or hard the BBE and some are below 280 pounds which I do not mine.

Iam glad their vary level of strenght. Question is does it really matter?

Too me is the training in the grippers. Its ok for grippers to in different strengths.

And with smart training I get there.

I’ve seen IM #3’s here that hasn’t a shiny spring. My IM #3 has a shiny spring, is that the way to see if it’s a <2004 or a 2005 IM #3? Are there other differences?

You guys probably didn't see my post about this in another thread hear it is-

(I've talked to Randal about the width of his new grippers and by what he told me you won't find any #3s or #4s under 3 inches anymore. I know that this isn't totally true but it does mean that they are trying to make sure that all the 3s and 4s that come out are at 3inches or very close. So with that I would say that yes grippers will always very but on average the new #3s and #4s are somewhat harder than they used to be in my opinion.)

They do very but there has been a change to make them harder according to what Randal told me.

Edited by patrick