Credit Card Close

chrlslee1

It's something Strossen dreamed up. You hold a credit card sideways (which is like 2.1 inches) to dremonstrate that much distance is between the handles. You set the gripper and then slide the card between the handles then remove the card a squeeze. In my opinion it's unnessasary.

It makes more sence to just table no-set it. Once the gripper is that far open it makes no sence to set it at all.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm with gary on the credit card rule. seems kind of pathetic. why don't they just say for certification you have to do a no set. i am beating a dead dog on this one, but it fires me up nonetheless. :angry:

isn't this a new rule too?

I actually like the rule. For me (I have big hands) the width that the handles are apart at that point is fine. Another reason that I like it is that it adds some uniformity to the cert process. Ironmind could have gone parallel set (MM certs), or no set but they chose this option which is obviously in between a Mash Monster set and no set.

I actually like the rule.  For me (I have big hands) the width that the handles are apart at that point is fine.  Another reason that I like it is that it adds some uniformity to the cert process.  Ironmind could have gone parallel set (MM certs), or no set but they chose this option which is obviously in between a Mash Monster set and no set.

BIG showlarson my friend I am glad you asked that question because I have also been wondering exactly what this credit card set looked like. Just to worried I would get hammered with the "USE THE SEARCH" comments if I asked.

If you have big hands you will like the credit card rule if you have small hands then you probably will not like it. Dont waste time thinking about it just close the gripper.

Edited by patrick

Can you have someone else hold the credit card, or do you have to do it?

I believe that someone else can insert the card between the handles for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I've certed a few people and you can either hold the card yourself or have someone else do it for you.

If the grippers were like 2 1/2" or smaller spreads, doing a TNS cert would be cool.

all these rules are BS years ago when i bought several grippers there was no rules and if you think about it we still use a fork spoon and knife to eat with ,no rules, no changes , same thing you used when you were a kid they just dont want the ironmind book to get over run with no 3 closes and red bends they can say whatever they want thats the reason a close is a close and a bend is a bend next thing you will have to stand on your head while you do both :whistel

PREACH IT BROTHER DAN - PREACH IT! :rock

I still like your idea about a BLACK NAIL to up the ante. :D

Do not worry about the no set or the cedit card size rule.

Just work up to the next grip up and the #3 will seem easier.

Or go up the MM ladder.

Setting the gripper always makes sense to me if given the opportunity. The setting is really about finding "the sweet spot", that place in your palm that allows maximum leverage to take place. TNS and No-sets are fine and a good training tool also, but they lower your "sweet spot" deeper into your palm allowing less leverage. So, the credit card set allows a small set which helps with the placement of the doglegged handle into that all important "sweet spot".

In my training I have done the 3 in a clamp set at credit card with no set and have missed by about an 1/8. But if I set that gripper with the same distance at 2 1/8 I can close it!! Why? By setting the gripper I get to plant it on the "sweet spot" with a No-set this is much more difficult.

all these rules are BS years ago when i bought several grippers there was no rules and if you think about it we still use a fork spoon and knife to eat with ,no rules, no changes , same thing you used when you were a kid they just dont want the ironmind book to get over run with no 3 closes and red bends they can say whatever they want thats the reason a close is a close and a bend is a bend next thing you will have to stand on your head while you do both :whistel

I have to agree with you on this one along with Brother Gator.

Its getting damn silly. Where is the governing body over the rule maker Strossen?

I have to agree with you on this one along with Brother Gator.

Its getting damn silly. Where is the governing body over the rule maker Strossen?

Table, No Set and all is solved. How simple could it be.

We just have to accept the credit card rule and pay attention. That there rules unless we start a grip assoctiation to level the pay flied.

Not to worry the no set=no problem. We figure out away to get the #3 no matter what rule they impose on us.

I like the credit card rule. It makes the closing of the gripper much harder. I think they did this because too much people got certified. I am not taking any thing away of their achievement though. People somehow, maybe due to the gripboard;), just got better at it. Probably Strossen wanted to make it more 'special' and exclusive again, by making it harder with the cc rule.

Did anybody do a credit card close with the #4??

Once we focus on getting certs with the #3.

Hopefully there would be as many closers someday. Then they say table top closes.

I personally have small hands, about 7.5, and think the credit card rule sucks. It clearly favors large handed people. Smaller handed guys have to compensate the lack of leverage with more strength. But crying about it isn't going to get me anywhere so I guess I'll just have to get to work.

If you have not seen Kinney's video check it out, I think his #4 close would have been good under the credit card rule, ironically he is also the 1st man to close the #4.

I personally have small hands, about 7.5, and think the credit card rule sucks.  It clearly favors large handed people.  Smaller handed guys have to compensate the lack of leverage with more strength.  But crying about it isn't going to get me anywhere so I guess I'll just have to get to work.

If you have not seen Kinney's video check it out, I think his #4 close would have been good under the credit card rule, ironically he is also the 1st man to close the #4.

Yes I agree It sucks. beside many how people got certs before the credit card rule.

He could close the #5 if they had one back then.