Viking Press

Jeff Parker

There will be a 225 viking press for reps at a contest in may, and I was wondering what that feels like compared to just using a bar? I have never done these before. Are they generally eaiser? Harder?

may 7 outback strongman contest in xenia ohio. Its on the upcoming events page on nas. It does not list the events in the entryform, but I emailed the promoter and he told me the events. 18" deadlift. husseflt stone. atlas stones. viking press. forward hold.

they should be some good events for me to, especially the huseflt stone, which is my best event. the stone in the contest is 270 for as long as you can walk. I have done 100 feet with 292, and I could have done more but I can only set it down at one spot in my driveway.

sounds like you will do good.....that would be an easy contest for me too....how do you expect to do in the press? like in my contest, we have to rep a 200lb 2'' axle....right now my press blows the long pole, and i doubt ill get even a rep, but i am looking to clean up in most everything else. you?

I really just hope to get a rep in the press. It dosnt allow a double dip, or a jerk. Push press or strict press only. I usually use the jerk or the double dip. Since only using the push press, my best is 161x6. I can get it for 10 easy with the double dip. This is on the axle.

I should do in the middle of the field on the deadlift, forward hold and up in the top for the huseflt stone.

The atlas stones I have never done. I do have an atlas stone I made, it weighs at least 280, but I cant lift it.

So I would guess I will place slightly lower than dead middle, which i will be happy with for my first contest. I have a couple other contests planned for later in the summer, so I hope to get some good experience with this one.

I plan on competing in this competition. On the NASS forums, the contest organizer, Orie, said that the viking press weights will be effectively more difficult than the poundages listed. The weight of a viking press depends on the apperatus, no one is going to push press the weight of a car, but that is often the weight used in some of the higher level strongman competitions.

I will (hopefully) be competiting in the light weight teen division.