Vegripper's Training Log

VeGripper

I've been meaning to post my training log here for some time, so there's no time like the present to get one up!

Today was crushing grip work day - squats are tomorrow, so working the hands is about as extensive as I plan on getting the day beforehand.

Trainer - 4 reps each hand

SOS262 (the easier one, like a 2.2 equivalent) - 1 rep each hand

Filed #2 - filed almost halfway on one side, about 1/6 of the other - 2 singles with a 5 second hold right hand, 2 near misses left hand.

Proceeded to file it a bit more, taking another mm off the handle. Did another right hand close for a few seconds, left didn't get closer than a half inch away.

Pulled out the tougher SOS262 that I hadn't been able to close last time (I figure it is around a 2.7 or so) and just did a light touch, not a solid close but it still touched. Didn't even try left handed, did a few lefty reps on the #1 and that was it.

I'm finding that my gripper progress goes well if I train it frequently for a week or two, take almost a week off, then come back for training them again at 3 times/week. Later this week I'll be filing a bit more off the #2 handles and going for it again, aiming to get it closed to where both handles are filed halfway down. This seems to be a great way to keep the progressive resistance increasing without having to keep jumping to new grippers, and so far it seems to be going well!

Tomorrow is squat day, working for a day of heavy doubles to try and go for a PR of 500 next week. Currently have done 475, so we'll see how it goes!

VeGripper

Thanks for the encouragement, Chris! I'm trying desperately to close the gap between my squat and deadlift since the DLs were so far ahead for so long (pulled a PR of 545 in October) and it was pretty sad that my squat at the time was only at 420. But, it is closing in, so things are getting better!

Today was squat day to prep for the go at 500 next week, and it didn't go all too bad.

Started with standard low bar squats, going well past parallel (I can't do them any other way - anything less than parallel feels off to me!) Made the following sets:

1x5 @ 115 for overhead squats to warm up

1x5 @ 135 conventional squats

1x3 @ 225 " " with 5 second bottom pause to stretch out

1x3 @ 315 conventional squats

1x1 @ 365 " "

1x1 @ 405 " "

1x1 @ 435 " "

1x2 @ 455 - last time I couldn't get a double out and got pinned on the second rep, so this was an improvement

Moved next to work on some partials with 500 in the power rack. Started at a 12" ROM from bottom position, and did 3 reps. Dropped the pins another level for a few inches more height, did 2 reps at around 15" ROM. Dropped the pins another notch to around 18" ROM and did a bottom-up single with 500. Dropped the pins again to around 21" and tried to get one from the bottom but it wasn't meant to be. Problem is, when I start getting deep with bottom position squats I can't find my groove, so I can't get the initial force started correctly. I start to lean too far forward like I was doing a half good morning, and unfortunately my lower back can't kick 500 up in that position. If I can knock out one rep with it and get the feel of my positioning I can usually make 1-2 more, but this time the first rep just wouldn't budge, so I raised the pins back to the 12" ROM mark and did some more 1/3 squats:

1x5 @ 500

1x3 @ 585

1x2 @ 675

Failed to get 745 off the pins. Getting way too worn out now to generate the power I need.

Wrapped up with some high-rep 1/3 squats as follows:

1x10 @ 500

1x11 @ 500 (wanted 12, but collapsed after 11)

1x25 @ 315, no pause at lockout, constant tension throughout

Afterward I could barely move, so I called it a day and headed out. It got even better - I must have looked so terrible at the gas station that the guy gave me an Icee for free, so score one more for squat day!

Tomorrow will be some pinch work in the basement, then back on Wednesday for back and overhead pressing work!

VeGripper

Okay, today was supposed to be back day, but instead I met with a friend and fell into doing a 2nd squat day in a row (can't help but get fired up with him around!)

Started out with some overhead work, power clean and press:

1x8 @ 135 strict

1x4 @ 225 slight push

1x1 @ 255, hard push missed 2nd rep.

Got bored with overhead work since I was looking to get in on the squatting, so I headed over once once my friend started doing partial squats in the power rack. Prior to this, he had a good shot at coming up with a 545 squat, and I don't expect it'll be more than a week or two until he makes it!

Started with 1/3 squats with 500 starting at the 13th pin position in the power rack, which is about a 15" range of motion from bottom to lockout. Did 4 with ease, just tapping then pins on each rep. Next I moved down a notch and did 4 at the 14th pin, which is around 18" deep. Dropped it again to the 15th pin which stopped me last time and did a double just tapping the pins on the way down. Not one to be satisfied with that, I dropped it again and did a single on the 16th pin, which is just a hair above full depth. So, if I'm getting that close, why not go for it?

So, we set up and dropped the pins to the 17th position, a full enough depth to be a complete squat just making legal depth. Went down and tapped the pins too hard since I usually go even lower, and it threw me off and I lost it. Okay, lesson learned, so we put the bar back up, set the pins a notch lower to make sure that there's no way I'll hit them, and have another go at it. This time, I hit bottom and come up around 3" before I hit a wall and get slammed. Still, I feel strong, and we re-load again for one more shot. This time I go down, get around 6" up and stick, getting pinned again, but it was still a banner day for adapting to the new weight at varying heights. I wonder if I hadn't done as many drops down in height and reps along the way if I'd had the strength to do it, but it makes no difference as I'll nail 500 soon enough. Next week, 500 is going to fall, so look out!

Came home and did some grip stuff in the basement:

Grippers work

1x4 each hand on trainer

1 rep each hand on my easier SOS262

2x1 right hand on filed #2 with 5 second close, 2 near misses with left hand (1/8" gap)

1 attempt at hard SOS262, came within 1/8" right hand and 1/3" left hand.

2 closes right hand with hard 262 in choker with handles 1" apart, 1 near close with left hand, around 1/8" apart

Getting worn out for grippers, so moved on to plate pinching:

1x10 second hold each hand with 25s

1x20 seconds of passing back and forth with 25s

3x3 pulls to waist height with 35s

Attempted to add 5 lbs. but my hands weren't having it today, so I did one last set with the 35s and wound up hitting a sharp point on a plate and taking a slice out of my thumb base. Looks like I won't be pinching for a few days until it heals, but I'll be back at it soon enough!

VeGripper

The deep cut on my hand from pinching the 35s the other day is starting to finally heal over, so another day or two and I'll be back in action for it again.

Today I wound up shovelling snow for well over 2 hours, so I was quite drained but still did a few quick lifts. I'd planned on heading to the gym today, but better judgement said it wouldn't be wise to go right after shovelling (I didn't have much time left until they closed) so I just goofed around in the basement a bit.

Brought out the dumbbells for a bit to do some rowing -

Warmed up with 1x10 each arm @ 105 on a regular handled DB, then I loaded up one of my 2" Fat Bastard handles and had at it. One set of 12 each arm @ 125 lbs (did 6, then singles with 3-8 seconds rest between each rep after grip wore out) then one more set for a PR with 155 lbs., 5 reps right arm (all reps with a 5-10 second rest between them) and 4 reps left handed.

Loaded up the Little Big Horn for a spin, but after the thick handled DB work it didn't fare well. Worked up to 125 each hand (excluding handle and loading pin) and failed at that. I've done 150 lefty and 140 righty, so this was definitely down from the usual, and as the aches of the snow removal settled in I decided to call it a day. I'd hoped for more, but I felt like I'd just had a 3-man stomping over my whole body, so why push things too much? There's always another time to finish up, and next report will be after my attempt at squatting 500 this Tuesday!

VeGripper

Wasn't that a nice little dusting of snow we had? :laugh

I lifted after shoveling today and actually had a pretty good workout, granted there was no back or leg work today and I only shoveled for about 45 minutes....

Some real nice rowing, especially with the 2" DB. Keep up the good work Ryan!

Chris

Chris,

Yes, the snow was a real treat this past weekend - here I thought that with my small driveway that it wouldn't be terrible, but now I realize that with the alley on one side I have to walk every damned shovelful to the other side and heave it over the fence into my yard! Pretty much doubles my time, but hey, I'll think of it as a long-term aerobic workout :D

Went in for the attemt for a 500 squat today, but it was off to a bad start. Rough day at work, medical dilemma with a family member, wife freaking out about it, causing me to get to the gym much later than anticipated and it put me in a bad mind state for the day. I felt determined, but the weight backed me down when I got there:

1x5 @ 225

1x4 @ 315

1x2 @ 385

1x1 @ 415

1x1 @ 445

Went for 500, got 8" up and pinned. It felt heavy, and that broke my spirit from the beginning, so I've gotta work on that. Tried it again, same damn thing, pinned again. Dropped the weight to 485 hoping that a slight lowering would still net me a 10 lb. PR, but after I got halfway up I ran out of steam and fell back down. Terrible! Oh well, I'll be doing some 3-5 rep work for February and then I'll take 500 down with much more confidence in March.

Wrapped up with 2 reps at 405 with almost a dead stop at bottom, then did a final set of 3 dead stop reps with 315, resting on the pins with my ass about 6" below my knees as far as it would go, and I was out. Sucks when you get to the gym with less than 50 minutes and you get shut out before you're ready, so I can't wait to get the rest of my equipment this spring and set that stuff up. Already I'm scouting out warehouses for my business that will offer me around 200-400 square feet of space for my equipment, but once April comes, it'll be outdoor training or in the garage with regularity.

Came home and was pretty well in a bad mood, so I grabbed the grippers and had at it.

Warmed up with the trainer for 4 slammed reps each hand, then after 2 minutes I grabbed my hard SOS262 that had stopped me at a single last time. This time, I hit 4 reps right handed and finally got one with the left, so still, something good came out of today! Tried next to close my GM, came within 1/8" but couldn't quite get it shut. Finally, grabbed my filed #2 and hit it righty for a single and just missed with the left, so it was some decent crushing work for the bit I tossed in at the end.

Tomorrow is back and chest day so I can try to be less pathetic at benching (gotta work on my cocked left shoulder that throws me off!) and I'll post when it is done!

VeGripper

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, been sick for 6 days straight and I'm going stir crazy from not getting to do much of anything, but that won't stop grip training!

I shot and posted some video clips from Saturday when I was at the height of illness, making some 1-finger pinches with 25 lb. plates and 2 finger pinches with a pair of 35s, then a few things with a 37.5 lb. blob. Took the next few days off as I'd get dizzy and winded just climbing up a flight of stairs, but today I was back around 80% well again so I headed into the basement for an all-around grip session. It definitely went well!

I decided to rotate 3 different forms of grip work - start with bending, then some pinching, then grippers work, 1 set each until worn out. All 3 had new records set of some sort, which is pretty odd considering I'm still sick and I was doing non-stop gripping!

Warmed up bending with a few timber ties, warmed up pinching with some full hand and 2 finger work with the 25s, and warmed up the grippers with some hard slams on the trainer. Then it was on. Each discipline was done with about 30-60 seconds before the next one, then after the grippers, I'd take my well-filed #2, file it some more for about 90 seconds, and start all over again.

With bending, I FINALLY learned how to bend with a style that doesn't stink. My previous style had been really weird, done with hands facing away partially at about 90 degrees from each other, held low about knee height and working to wrap the steel over the base of my thumb. A few good blisters taught me that this wouldn't work well for volume or for doing frequent bending, so I focused on double underhand today and did well! Did a few 7" x 1/4" round pieces to start and work on form, then some 6" grade 2 bolts, then I managed to take down some 6" x 1/4" round stock with relative ease, done in about 8 seconds to full crush compared to the 20+ seconds it used to take with the crappy style. Definitely happy with this! Tried a 6" grade 5 bolt, but only made a tiny kink in it. Oh well, next time we'll see if I can take it down.

Pinching was definitely good as well - I went back to blob work, and worked my way to a new PR of finally getting the 42.5 to full lockout with my right hand (broke it from floor to around knee height about 8 more times) and got it left handed almost to lockout. This was definitely pleasing since I've had bad luck with the heavier blobs for a while, but this motivated me to train hard on them again. I aim to get the 45 lb. one up with ease in a few months with hard work, goal to pull my Blob50 before the end of the year. Wrapped up with some more plate pinching, just a few pulls with the 35s and I was fried.

Grippers wasn't my overall best as I've closed harder ones, but what I've been trying to do is take my filed #2 and file it a bit more each week to try and get it so eventually I have both handles filed close to halfway and can slam it shut. Right now one handle is really close to half and the other about 1/5 of the way, and I'll keep taking a bit more off each week as I close a new level of it being filed. I filed it three times and closed it each time before I was stopped, so in a few days I'll pick it up again, close it, and file it some more.

What I thought was going to be a 20 minute quick session became nearly 90 minutes, and when I saw it was 1 AM I figured it was time to quit. Good progress all around, and tomorrow I head back to the gym for the first time in over a week to get some overhead work back in. I'll post again when I'm through!

VeGripper

Been sick for 12 days now, but it is almost gone, so I feel pretty good again. Have only been to the gym once for a pretty uneventful workout late last week, then it was off to Vegas for business late Friday and got back in at midnight Tuesday evening. Headed downstairs to the grip room today and had at some bending, and finally nailed a pair of 6" G5 bolts for a new PR. Posted about it in the Bending section so no need to go into detail here, but needless to say I'm pretty pleased with the progress I've had in bending lately.

Tomorrow should be my first quality day in the gym in almost 2 weeks, so I'll be back when the day is done!

VeGripper

• 2 weeks later...

Illness is finally over. Did some good bending while sick, though, and conquered a 5" G5 bolt, so at least progress was still going strong!

Only been back for a few uneventful days in the gym after 2.5 weeks out, but it is coming along again. Just starting to deadlift again after taking a long break from them (done 2 sessions since late October, I believe), so I'm easing back into them again.

Did some overhead pressing to start -

1x8 empty bar with each hand to warm up

1x8 @ 135

1x8 @ 185 (strict until last 2 reps)

1x6 @ 205 (only 1-2" dip to push for all reps)

Just a reintroduction to overhead work after the long break, so that's all I was aiming for.

Moved to deadlifts next, just working to re-learn them all over again -

1x5 @ 225

1x5 @ 315

3x5 @ 425

Felt good - only hitched on the very last rep of the last set, primarily because between rep 4 and 5 I heard my name called out over the gym loudspeaker and it totally screwed me up. Oh well, such is lifting in a commercial gym. Working to try and get to where my old level was before summer, hoping to get 500x3 again and over 550, but it's a weird feeling after taking such a long break.

Wrapped up with some squat walkouts and hold for time. Just 3 sets to get them tossed in at the end -

1x30 second hold @ 405

1x30 second hold @ 500

1x25 second hold @ 605

Wanted 30 seconds on the last one, but the DLs cashed me in pretty well. Wrists got tender at the end because the bar rolled down my back a bit and I was struggling to keep it in place.

Between DL sets we were playing with the HG400 - my friend was one of the 3 T-Mag winners who got one, so we both gave it our best shot and took photos. He's just getting into gripper work and got around 1" out from it, I had it to around 1/4" from closed a few times but it was a no-go for closing it. My hands have been tender from the bending and working it in between DL sets didn't help matters much. Still, fun to see how close I could get, and I may have done better if I'd been keeping up with gripper work this past few weeks. Bending has taken hold of me, so it'll have to wait a bit longer!

Thursday is upper back day so I'll be posting once it is done. Some rowing, shrugging and power cleans should do the trick!

VeGripper

Love the log Ve. Overhead presses with 185 strict...I can't wait to get my home gym and get on those. Before my gym membership went I was really focussing on that, thanks for letting a guy not forget. With the 425 for 3 and the guy on the loud speaker stopping you, you definitely would have had more....to bad he didn't crank up the music instead so you could have nailed that 500 :mosher As for the HgG 400, you'll nail that when your hands rest up from all those PR's in nail bending :cool

Thanks for the kind words, BigT! I'm finally getting fired up again after the big crappy layoff from the extended illness, but I seem to finally be over it (including the 2nd round) so I'm back in action again. I've got to get back hard on the deadlifts and overhead work, so those things are definitely taking priority again for a bit.

Skipped details on a workout that sucked (terrible squat day while ill, damaged hands while trying to bend a G8, and no good stuff) but came back today for the next deadlift and overhead workout.

I usually to OH lifting first, but since my friend could only stay for 50 minutes we opted to get the deadlifting done first of all. Just bumped it up 20 lbs. more so that we played with 445 today and did the following:

1x5 @ 315 (came in late, started warming up heaver than usual)

1x3 @ 315 with 10 second hold at top for each rep

2x5 @ 445

My friend's lower back was done for after the 2nd set and I was feeling dizzy, so we opted to drop the 3rd set this time since neither of us felt like we'd make it without some problems along the way (him getting hurt, me passing out!)

Moved next to 1-handed deadlifts, hook grip straddle style -

1x5 @ 135 each arm (no hook)

1x3 @ 225

1x2 @ 275

Thumbnail that I cut short started bleeding profusely at this point, so I figured it wasn't best to push on. There's always next week.

Power clean and push press was next. My usual ugly style, done while still feeling like passing out -

1x8 @ 135 (strict)

1x4 @ 225

1x3 @ 225

Way too tired and light headed, that would hold me for the day for OH work.

Rested a few, then did some bottom-up 1/3 squats in the power rack, resting the bar on the pins with each rep -

1x5 @ 405

1x5 @ 495

1x4 @ 585

1x3 @ 675

Exhausted, I failed to get 765 off the pins on 2 final attempts and that was enough to call it a day.

Only other thing noteworthy recently is last night I managed to do my best pull with the 42.5 lb. blob, making 3 good lifts right handed with the first one being able to hold for a 4-5 second lockout at top. Gotta get back on the blob work again, which won't be hard since I'm taking a week or so off bending and I'll need something to fill the void :)

Should be in for some upper back and various grip work tomorrow, if I dont suck too badly I'll post about it afterward!

VeGripper

Crappy quick workout day with less than 50 minutes to lift. Supposed to get in a good back workout and some chest work, but I was tired and unmotivated this evening so it was pretty tame.

Started with close grip benching. I hate benching. Hate it. Need to work on it so I don't hate it any longer, but I'm not putting in much effort until summer as there are too many other things I'd rather focus on. Just 3 quick sets:

Close grip bench (hands around 14" apart)

1x8 @ 135

3x5 @ 225

Okay, enough benching for the day :D Time to move on!

Screwing around, I pulled out the 3" FB dumbbell handle and decided to have some fun rowing with it -

1x12 @ 60

1x10 @ 80

1x 8 right hand, 1x6 left @ 100

Once your grip breaks with that thing, you're done for. Even with a minute's rest to try and finish the left hand to 8 reps, it didn't budge enough with the comeback. Fun stuff!

Jumped on the cable row (something I normally never do) and had fun with some different handled work -

Eagle loops - 1x10 @ 200 lbs.

Rolling thunder handle rows - 1x10 each hand @ 120 lbs.

Little Big Horn rows (something silly to try!) - 1x5 each hand @ 84 lbs.

Realized I left my wife stranded at our office by running off with her keys, I had to bolt out and get back so she could finally go home. Whoops! :D

Squatting will come soon, be back to report once it is done!

VeGripper

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was squats and bending comeback, but I'll just cover the squatting here:

Was in a rush and had to get it done quickly, so I tore into it fast and furiously -

1x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 135 (front squats)

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 225 (2nd and final set of front squats)

1x3 @ 315

1x3 @ 365

1x1 @ 405

1x1 @ 425

1x1 @ 445

1x1 @ 455 - finally didn't get pinned like the last 2 attempts to go above 440, so I'm on my way back up again! Still not back to where I was before my 3 week illness last month, but I'll be there soon enough.

Moved to some dead-stop bottom rack squats well below parallel (ass to calves as low as I can hit). Unrack from the top, hit the pins, unweight completely for 5-10 seconds and blast back up:

1x3 @ 225

1x3 @ 315

1x1 @ 365

1x1 @ 385 for a new PR

Attempted 405, got a foot up off the pins but that was where I lost all my steam. Maybe next time.

Joined a friend in the power rack for some 1/3 squats (around 18" range of motion) but barely had anything left to give. Just one set of 500 for 6 and I was ready to pass out, so that was it.

Going to be a short week since I'm heading out on business Thursday, so I'll have to cram deadlifts and squats in before I head out. Be back to report again soon!

VeGripper

Just a quick update for the day -

Yesterday ran to the gym with only around 40 minutes to get some quick lifting in. Was stressed as hell and barely ate, so performance was less tha optimal, but better to get in than not go at all.

Clean and press

1x8 empty bar each arm

1x8 @ 135 (strict)

1x5 @ 185 (strict)

1x4 @ 225 (push)

Failed to clean 245, which was terrible, so as I was already pretty crabby I gave that up for the day.

Did quarter deadlifts next:

1x5 @ 405

1x5 @ 495

1x5 @ 585

1x5 @ 675

1x4 @ 765

1x1 @ 855 (hands were chewed up, lost my grip due to the skin ripping off)

Tried some pinch grip work, but one of the terrible trainers was nearby so I couldn't bring out the chalk. Did a few short holds on the 25s that were wide as hell and slick as glass, 35s didn't come off the floor. Oh well.

Today was return to bending workout #2, feeling stronger and less pain in the hands this time. Not going for anything hard for a few weeks until I get the groove back, but bent the following things:

4 IM blues

2 FB 5.5" x 1/4" round

1 FB 5" x 1/4" round

1 6" x 5/16" G2

2 6"x 1/4" hex

1 5.5" x 1/4" hex

To work on elbow tendonitis pain, did some e-z bar curls between sets to strengthen up a bit (rarely ever do arm work, perhaps I need to start doing more...) After the first 2 warmup bends I did 4x10 @ 100 lbs. with a set between each of the following 4 bends just to get the old arms moving a bit, and that was enough for the day.

I tried initially to do the double wraps on the stock, but I simply can't get a good DU bend with a thick wrap. I'm going to keep with the single wrap through the easier stock for a bit and only change back to double when I start back after the G8 and above, because as long as I'm not hurting my hand now I'll just keep playing it by ear unless I feel the need to put on extra padding.

Probably just going to do some thick bar rowing at home tomorrow and some pinching if my hands will manage both, then squatting most likely on Sunday. Reports to follow!

VeGripper

Nice log, Ryan.

Can't wait to see you get that 500 squat. That'll be awesome. Do you do your squatting and deadlifting totally raw or w/ belt, or anything more?

Another questions... when you're doing blobs, do you ever try tossing and catching lighter ones, like in Mastery of Hand Strength?

Ryan,

All lifting I do is raw (no suits, belts or wraps), and other than the occasional chalk here and there there's nothing I do that I don't have the equipment just by wearing my everyday clothes. Heck, most of the squatting I do is in loose fit jeans or khakis, which only makes things more interesting. Don't plan on using any assistance gear being as I don't plan on being a competitive powerlifter - I entered one meet and sucked terribly, but I'll do more raw against people with gear just for the fun of it. It was funny looking at people wondering what the heck I was doing at the meet in nothing but a singlet and t-shirt while everyone else was spending the entire time getting shirts to fit, suits in place, or wraps on tightly. Definitely not my idea of fun since I want all lifts I do to be me against the weight and nothing more.

I wish I had some smaller blobs to toss from hand to hand as Brookfield suggests, but the smallest one I have is 35 lbs. and that's a bit more than I could manage without dropping it on my foot. If I get my hands on some that are 25-27.5 lbs. I definitely plan on giving it a shot, but it may be a bit until more of that size start floating around here. Once it is nicer out and not sloppy in my backyard I'd like to try the block walks that Brookfield talked about with the 35 and 37.5 I have, but it'll be at least a month or two until my backyard dries enough to where I don't sink in around 4 inches just from stepping on the lawn :)

VeGripper (who shares the same first name)

Took off of Friday and split town with my wife to get away from work for a bit, so missed my back workout but I'll make up for it by adding it in with squatting tomorrow.

Today was bending, wrist and pinch day, and it went surprisingly well! Decided not to push myself too hard to work on my bending comeback, so I went for speed and volume.

Started with the plan to bend 15 pieces of stock in succession with no rests other than to re-wrap and take a drink when needed, and I came within an inch of getting there. Went as follows:

(10) IM blues, around 20 seconds between bends

(2) FB 5.5" x 1/4" round stock

(2) FB 5" stock (about 30 seconds between bends, getting winded)

Attempted my shortest bend of a 4.5" piece x 1/4" round stock, but as 5" pieces already give me trouble the 4.5" was doomed. Kinked it around 10 degrees and thatn was all I was good for.

Was still feeling good, so I tossed in a few other pieces to get a little more volume in at a step up. Did 2 pieces of 1/4" x 6" hex stock, then a 5/16" x 6" G2. Wanted to end up with a 5.5" hex piece, but I only kinked it as my gas had run out and bending was done for. I usually bend only around 7-10 pieces tops, so this was definitely more volume for me than usual. Felt really good, and no pain in my palm at all so I'm going to keep up with the volume bending for 3 more workouts before getting back to G5 bends so that I'm well prepared to work down to the 5" again in no time.

Moved next to blob lifting, lots of random sets with the 37.5 and 42.5. Lots of quick singles and some 10 second holds with the lighter one, and did 2 lifts to lockout right handed with the 42.5 and 1 lefty just past knee height. When I was too tired to get the 42.5 off the ground I tossed in a few 3-5 second holds with negatives to round it out. Getting the feel back on blob work, so I plan to get on it twice weekly again.

I never do wrist curls, so I figured I'd toss a few in for good measure. Did around 4 sets of 10 with 115 (wrists were fried, couldn't do more than that) and 2 sets of 8 double-handed plate wrist curls with the 35. Thinking about David Horne doing 15kg plate wrist curls single handed after fighting to do them with 2 hands makes me realize just how amazing it is. That was all, and I retired for the day.

But....

I headed downstairs again to grab something a few hours later, and I couldn't resist one last bend. Just for kicks, I wrapped a 7" x 1/4" square FB piece and gave it a go. I expected nothing from it, but to my surprise I kinked it around 5 degrees without even going all-out on it, so that really made my day. I won't touch one again for a bit, but hopefully keeping up with the wrist work and volume bending will get that one to fall in a few weeks as well.

Heading to a party this evening, must control myself as I don't want to become intoxicated to where lifting tomorrow seems like hell. Provided I keep my self control I'll return with a squat workout soon!

VeGripper

Quick workout update today since things didn't go as planned. Had to take my wife to the ER to get a wicked cat bite treated (our own cat, for what that's worth) so the trip for squatting was shot down.

Headed to the dungeon to do some pinch work and had a good day. Like in the past, I find that I'm way stronger with pinching if I do it 3-4x per week than only once or twice, so frequency is good.

Did a few warmup lifts with 10 second holds with the 37.5 lb. blob, then moved to the 42.5 and had a go at it. Left hand was a bit weaker today and only got one good lockout and a few that were close to it, but the right hand was on the money. Usually I'm only good for 2-3 lifts with short holds before I wear out, but not this time - I managed 5 good lifts to lockout, the last one for a 7 second hold for a new PR. I got cocky after that one and pulld out the 45 lb. blob, but only got it an inch off the floor. I'll leave it alone for another week or two, and once I can get the 42.5 off the floor a few more times in a workout with a longer hold closer to 10 seconds hopefully it'll mean that the 45 is ready for a full lift. I've only managed it to knee height at my best, so I'm ready to knock that old PR down and move on - the 47.5 has been laughing at me for months, and I aim to give it a good scare one of these days by hoisting it up. Wrapped up with some 2 hand up - 1 hand down work that was it - my right hand is throbbing from the pinching, and that's all I was good for.

The only other thing tried today was bending one of the spikes that came in my FB Bender's Bag from some time ago - I found one while cleaning up today and gave it a try. A few pushes over my thigh put a decent kink into it, but it wasn't meant to be that I'd get it finished off. Interesting thing to try, though, and I'll have to give it a go again soon. I managed to snap a pic of it and I'll post it up tomorrow.

Hoping to make it to the gym Tuesday as Monday is always a no-go due to workload, but squatting will come soon. Will probably toss in a back day in the basement tomorrow if I'm home before 1 AM, otherwise it'll be Tuesday as well!

VeGripper

Kind of goofed off in the gym today - stress levels have been running high, enough to where I've just been babbling about being too overwhelmed at work constantly to where my wife has to tell me to shut up about it. Oh well, gotta get past it and back in the gym regularly again...

Just did a "wing it" style back day today - I'll be quick about it.

DL lockouts for 5-6", chalk only

1x10 @ 315

1x8 @ 405

1x5 @ 495

1x5 @ 585

1x5 @ 675

1x5 @ 765

Callous was tearing off, had to stop a set early.

EZ-Bar rows (DBs not past 120, have to improvise)

2x6 @ 145

Barbell yoke walks between squat racks, all done slow pace

1x500 feet @ 225

1x300 feet @ 315

1x200 feet @ 405

Wanted to do 455+, core didn't feel stable and the last thing I want it to get stapled in the open if I can't make it back to a rack.

Overhead barbell walks, hands at jerk lockout position

1x250 feet @ 135

1x250 feet @ 155

Getting tired, goofed on some cable row stuff since the hands were getting sore

1x10 @ 175

1x6 @ 235

1x20 with paused stretch @ 105

That would do it for today. Tomorrow is back to bending, going a level up and working on some hex stock for volume. Back to report soon.

VeGripper

Back on a "bender" today, and I'm coming back stronger than before!

Bending was all I managed to get in, but from the way it went, I'm pleased enough. Managed the following stock (not necessarily in sequence as I mixed things up a bit about halfway through)

(1) 5" x 3/16" round (didn't even know I had any left! They look like toothpicks now!)

(2) 6" x 1/4" round

(1) 5.5" x 1/4" round

(3) 6" x 1/4" hex

(2) 5.5" x 1/4" hex

(1) 5" x 1/4" hex (never made this before - went rather easy, just slightly less work than a 5" G5)

(1) 6" G2

(3) 6" G5

(1) 5.5" G5

I find that the hex stock is really comparable to the G5 bolts - sometimes they seem easier, sometimes harder, but I can get a better grip on them which makes them more comfortable to do. I hadn't intended on touching any G5s for another week, but I was just feeling too good not to, and my hands and wrists are coming back WAY stronger than before I hurt them. This doesn't mean I'll be aiming for a PR every workout like I used to, but I'll keep going at it slowly until I can destroy everything with ease before moving up.

What I really liked is that my bending endurance is going way up now - even when I was going for the G8 and hurt my palm, if I did 3 G5s of any length in one session I was done for and couldn't even bend a popsicle stick afterward. Now I'm able to do at least that many as well as some fairly tough hex stock along with it and still feel good for more. I'll say it here, when the bending masters say to keep working on a piece until you can kill it, they aren't kidding because it really will pay off.

No idea what I'll be doing for lifting tomorrow - maybe deadlifts, maybe squats, but it will be one or the other and I'll post when it is done!

VeGripper

BigT,

That's what I'm hoping for! I'm actually thinking I'll be giving another try to the 1/4" square FB stock first since I did more damage to that than the G8, and that was after a full bending and wrist work session beforehand! One more week to recover with volume and it'll be time to take the next leap. I've got 10 fresh G8 bolts staring at me waiting to be bent, so they'll be in my grasp soon enough. This week Monday will be the volume G5 day, going for 10 total between 5.5 and 6" - if it works well, then the squre should be no problem a few days later.

Today was squat day, just a mission to kick my own lazy ass since I missed last week. The rule of the day was 405 lbs. for 20 reps total, no matter what it took to get there:

1x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 315

1x1 @ 365

20 reps total @ 405 done in 30 minutes, first 10 reps were done as 5 sets of 2, the last 10 were all singles with 60-90 seconds rest between them. As always, all squats done well below parallel in a pair of jeans and no wraps - why break tradition? I've got to get my consistency back for squatting, and what better way to grease the groove than knock back 15 total sets of squats in half an hour?

Not much time left after this, so I tossed in 2x8 Hise shrugs @ 405 and 2 sets of 20 DB shrugs with 120 lb. DBs and I was gone.

Tomorro if it is still in the mid 40s out I'll bring the old log outside and have some fun with it. Back after I'm done!

VeGripper

Well, another bout of the flu and I've been shooting out of both ends for the past day, but it seems to be a short one so I'm already on the mend.

Had a good blob lifting workout Saturday focusing on volume, done in 2 separate sesssions. First was at 9 PM, playing around for about 30 minutes with the 37.5 and 42.5. Did probably 15 lifts each hand with the 37.5 with some holds of over 15 seconds (new PR for time in that department) and got 4 good lifts righty and 2 good lifts lefty with the 42.5. Left hand was a bit sore so it didn't seem up to par, but still, it didn't do badly at all.

Came back downstairs about 3 hours later and had at it again. Did 3 sets of holds for time with the 37.5 for 10-12 seconds each hand, then made 3 more lifts righty with the 42.5 and 1 more lefty. Wrapped up with some 2 hand up/1 hand down negatives each hand to burn myself out and 3 sets later it was all done when I could no longer get the 37.5 off the ground again. Like with bending, sometimes doing 2 sessions split up turns out to be good!

Today I did my first solid gripper workout in well over a month - every other time I've touched them lately I've been so sore that I could barely close anything, but I managed to crank out a few good sets. Worked up to a set of 4 righty with my hard PDA262, did a single lefty with it. Did a few more singles righty with that one as well and at least 4 sets of 2-3 reps with my easy 262 as well. Seems I've filed the hell out of my IM#2 and you have to have massive overcrush power to get the handles to touch now, but I'll work up to it one of these days. I had fun with the grippers, so I'll have to toss them back in a bit more often rather than just doing them in between all my other work.

Ate less than 1000 calories due to sickness yesterday and only about 1500 today so I'm not well yet, but if I'm feeling good tomorrow and it is around 60 degrees out again I'll be in the yard working with the steel log. Keeping my fingers crossed for recovery, otherwise it'll be another 2 days until regular lifting starts again!

VeGripper

Weather is still incredibly nice, so tonight was my first time playing with the 10" Brute Strength log in some time due to the perfect evening. Had a friend stop out to join in, primarily to work on technique since neither of us are too skilled with it. Did the following sets for clean and press:

1x12 empty (around 90 lbs.)

1x8 @ 140

1x6 @ 170

1x4 @ 200

2x2 @ 225

1x5 @ 170

1x5 with a new clean and press each rep @ 175

Last set kicked me in the ass, but technique is improving a bit so hopefully strength will catch up. Done 270 overhead push press with a barbell, so I'd like to get close to that or over in time for the Capital City Strongman event in June with some hard work. Not much time, but anything is better than nothing!

Went inside and did some 3" thick bar dumbbell rowing:

1x12 @ 60 each arm

1x10 @ 80

1x6 @ 100

2x12 @ 80

Managed to lift the 42.5 lb. blob once to show I could make it, and that was all. Grip is now cashed in, tired from the clean and press, but if I feel good tomorrow will be the next bending night. If not, make it Thursday and I'll be back to report when it is done!

VeGripper