Single Db Snatches

smp76

I was noodling around in the gym at my school the other day; trying the Diesel Crew's 100lb monkey bar challenge and thought I would try some single arm DB snatches. Here is how it went:

3X3 70lb DB

3X3 80lb DB

5X3 90lb DB

It got me thinking that because I am just starting with this new exercise that I can incorporate a little grip by adding a wrap of athletic tape after every other workout and then over time micro loading tape will allow slow but steady increases in the thickness DB's handle. Not to many highschool students throwing around the 90-100lb DBs to notice the old man slapping some tape on.

What do you guys think? Good workout or waste of time?

-Sean

One arm DB snatches are one of my favorite exercises. Great total body coordination, and it really gets me huffing and sweating.

I think it would definitely be worthwhile to start adding tape onto the handles. Can you imagine your grip strength when you're snatching a 90lb db with a 2" handle?

My db snatches benefit from my grip training, but not vice versa due to the db's I use. Since you have the option of working both at the same time, I'd give it a go.

I just recently began doing those,too. They really are great, and during the next couple of days after a WO you really notice which muscles were involved; they are SORE! :whacked

Good idea about adding the tape, but maybe go slow enough so your grip won`t become a limiting factor to your poundages.

I cant remember the guy's name, but in MOHS Brookfield talks about an armwrestler he knows who does just what you're doing. He lifts the same weight with thick handles and adds a little bit of tape to the handle after each workout.

The biggest benefit I noticed from doing explosive thick bar movements is the need to really hang on. I thought that a single arm DB snatch would be a great exercise for those training to snatch the inch :cry . The slow progression was aimed at like previous stated, not letting the grip strength become a limiting factor.

-Sean

Has Mark Henry snatched the inch? Or just clean and pressed it?

Just hahaha.

I don't think it's ever been done. Be really interesting to see it done. Who will be the first?