Which Brand Of Grippers?

rolf

Hello everyone,

I had my first chance to try the CoC's in action yesterday. My team mate brought his T and #1 to the gym with him. I closed both for several singles no-set pretty easily with both hands. I think they were pretty new, if that makes any difference regarding my list of requirements below.

I only have the ISG and I'm happy with it, but I must say the "individual" grippers felt quite nice. I'm now considering buying a set of grippers, and am asking which brand would you guys recommend. I would need grippers that fill the following requirements:

- I can close them no-set, meaning the spread is not huge (my hands are 19.5 cm or 7 10/16 inches).

- They come in reasonable increments, so the next one doesn't totally dwarf me after closing one.

- They don't cost an arm and a leg.

Do such things even exist? :shifty

Rolle

I have grown quite fond of the beefbuilder grippers from www.wwfitness.com

they are just like the COC's but come in better increments. I think they run around 25 w/o shipping so are not too bad.

Thanks, Showlarson!

I actually checked out the BB grippers as one option even before posting. How do they compare to the CoC's in toughness? If I were to buy, say, four of them, would Super Advanced to Grand Master make sense? If they are similar to the CoC's, the SA would be just a warm-up for me. Or would Master to Elite be a better range?

Further recommendations and comments extremely welcome!

Rolle

I also recommend the BB grippers. Nice feel, fair price. I would go SA to GM if I were you, the Elite is no joke! I have yet to close a tough SM (2.75?) but am a hair away. The elites I have tried (2) are like a brick...

I would get the SA and SM from Beef Builder. The #2 and #3 from Ironmind. I like the Ironmind grippers better, but their increments are too large.

I'd order 'em directly from Warren. Get the Silver crushes too. I think I paid about 23 bucks/gripper.

I just got a Super Advanced with the Silver Crush handles. It's bad ass. Feels about like a 1.4 so I'd start there. If you don't want to get a weaker gripper, just go to the dollar store and get a cheapo gripper to warm up on.

-HH

Thanks everyone for the answers!

The concensus seems to be the BB grippers. I'll give it some more thought and then probably order a few, probably SA through GM. If I need a still weaker one for warm-ups I can just use my ISG.

Hammerhead,

How do I contact Warren? Can't seem to find anything useful with Google.

Rolle

- "How do I contact Warren Tetting?"

You can call him @ 651-222-1889

Warren Tetting

1063 West 7th Street

Saint Paul, MN 55102

I copied this from a FAQ thread, not sure if it is still valid but give it a go.

A bit expensive to call him from Finland... :erm Does he have an e-mail or a home page?

Rolle

try dialing this it should be 1 dollar a call for 20 minuets 10 10 987 then the number 1 and then the number and i just got all 5 heavy grips off of ebay found under powerlifting or strongman or heavy grips they change it all the time so you have to look all 5 for $59.95 they are nice and do not have a wide spread they are 100 150 200 250 and 300 :D

Warren does not have a website. You could write him a letter if you want. Weightlifter's Warehouse is probably the easiest way for you to get them, all though since you aren't in the US, Warren may be able to get you a better price on shipping / dealing with customs.

The Barbaran grippers ( http://www.handgripper.net ) are made in Austria. I've heard good things about them, but never tried them. They might be cheaper due to location.

Edited by Scott Styles

I have the COC grippers T-#4 and like them best out of the grippers i have.But i do like the BB grippers as a close second and have a few to fill the gaps between the COC grippers.

Rolle,

Buy the Robert Baraban grippers. They are nicer than the Tetting and Ironmind grippers and will be cheaper for you, anyway. I really like my RB260N and RB300N with chrome springs and brass handles.

Robert

Rolle,

Buy the Robert Baraban grippers.  They are nicer than the Tetting and Ironmind grippers and will be cheaper for you, anyway.  I really like my RB260N and RB300N with chrome springs and brass handles.

Robert

If you find ordering from Warren Tetting complicated, I'd also recommand RB grippers. They are really fine (I have both COC, BB and RB grippers) and the handles are a bit more knurled than the other brands. There are several to choose from as well.

Since you live in Finland you could try and see if it is possible for you to buy from swedish RB reseller Arne Persson. Either pm him here on Gripboard (named Arne) or if you don't have any problems with the swedish language, pm him on swedish training forum Kolozzeum http://www.kolozzeum.com/kolozzeum (named Arne Persson).

//Jim

Edited by jimcg

Rolle, I see that one of the most popular grippers for no set work was only mentioned once, by Dan. The Heavy Grips line of grippers are relatively inexpensive, and available in very narrow widths. Excellent and some would say custom made for no set work. 2.375" is about the standard width on them lately. As opposed to 2.75" or so for the average COC width. That is a big difference when no set training. They also have a lifetime warranty. Still the only gripper, as far as I know, to have a lifetime warranty. They're available on Fat Bastard Barbell Company's website for @ $60, unless the price has changed lately.

Good points on all sides, thank you! :) Keep 'em coming. I'm currently looking more deeply into pricing, shipping and other issues of RB, BB and HG.

Rolle

Hey guys, I'm new here and this topic is something I've been trying to figure out also. I don't currently own any grippers, but I can tear a 2 1/2" phone book and registered 86kg on an Grip Dynamometer with my right hand and 84kg with my left. I'm wondering if these numbers could help me personally find the correct gripper...are grippers labeled or classified according to psi or kg?

Not trying to hijack, but I also didn't want to start a redundant post. Thanks guys...

EDIT: Nevermind guys, I found the chart by pdoire. I guess my next question would be, how much lower than 190lbs should I start training if 190lbs is my current max ability?

Edited by ChargerBill

I pulled a 69kg the last time I tested on the dynometer. At the time I could close a gripper about halfway between the Ironmind #1 and #2. If I were you I would buy a #1 and #2 from Ironmind or a BeefBuilder Super Advanced and Beef Builder Master from Weight Lifter's warehouse.

Part of the challenge with the grippers is that doing well on them is a specific skill. It has to be learned. If one of those grippers is too light for you, you can still use it for learning technuiqe and warming up. It could be just right, however.

I'm of the opinion that you can never buy a gripper that's "too light." Warmups, reps, inverted closes, 2 finger closes, there's always something to do with an easy gripper. I believe it was Clay (?) who once said that his favorite gripper was the Trainer. That's cool. It reminds us that regardless of strength level, an easy gripper can be very useful for technique work. And for active recovery. Or for a mentally challenging volume workout. Trainer for 1,000+ reps is no joke. Try it and become a believer!

I believe it was Clay (?) who once said that his favorite gripper was the Trainer.

It was Dave Morton.

Thanks for the input... I already have an old Everlast (about 15 years old) that is good as a trainer and is fairly difficult in it's own right. I think I will buy a BeefBuilder Super Advanced and a BeefBuilder Master...

Dave Morton sounds familiar...I worked for a guy named Dave Morton 15 years ago...could it be the same guy? I'm sure there's more than one Dave Morton in the world, but you never know.

BTW: I think Clay Edgin uses HG handgrippers...

After much thought, I'm leaning towards the BB grippers. Two reasons:

1) They can be used in the GripBoard GripBash, and I plan on entering next year.

2) Weightlifter's Warehouse had the quickest/best customer service of the companies I contacted.

Now, one more thing. I checked out the GripBash rules, and it seems that the BB grippers are considered tougher than the CoC's. For example in the rules, the BB Beginner (50 lb) equals CoC Trainer (100 lb), and the BB Master (155 lb) equals CoC #2 (195 lb). Is this correct or did I misunderstand the rules? If I got it right, I'll prolly have to go from A to SM instead of my original plan of SA to GM.

Rolle

The BB grippers are measured with the weight at the end of the handles. The COC grippers are measured with the weight at the middle of the handles. You can't compare the two measurements.