Roark Wrist Curls

Roark

I recently began wrist curls again, but now I use only a 1.75" diameter bar- I do none on regular Olympic bars. I find the thickbar to be more difficult.

This morning:

warmup 50 x 12

100 x 10

120 x 10

140 x 6

160 x 6

180 x 5

190 x 1

160 x 25 (the fist dozen or so felt like the bar was empty)

My goal is to get 225 for 6 on this bar.

Roark,

I'll be watching this one. I too am training right now to get my BB. Wrist curl back up to over 200 pounds. I started doing DB W-curls again about a year ago, and they are different than BB.W-curls. Anyway, two weeks ago I went back to BB.W-curls and went up to 175 for three, but failed at 205. . So I'll interested very much in this thread.

Sixgun...

I'll be keeping an eye on this log as well. One of my goals for 2005 is a 300lb wrist curl. Hopefully I can pick up some tips from you.

Not sure I have any tips- it seems every time I get close I injure my forearm near the inner elbow.

I train forearms every third day usually.

I do plan an experiment soon. When I can do 200 on the 1.75" bar I will also have a standard Olympic bar set at 200 for comparison.

Hey Joe, did you ever reach your goal set in your previous Wrist Curl log? I believe it was 200x10 or something along those lines.

Hey Joe, did you ever reach your goal set in your previous Wrist Curl log? I believe it was 200x10 or something along those lines.

Yes, I made 200 x 10, and 225 x 6, then, wise man that I am, I got in a hurry and changed from the routine that had brought me that success (a routine which involved patience) and injured my arm.

But, now I am back on track. Slow track.

My schedule tomorrow is such that my regularly scheduled workout would not be possible, so I rushed to the gym this morning for what I call a maintenance workout:

Wrist curls on 1.75" bar:

50x13

100 x 10

120 x 6

140 x 6

160 x 2

180 x 1

200 x 1

150 x 6

Wednesday will be the next workout.

My schedule tomorrow is such that my regularly schedulaed workout would not be possible, so I rushed to the gym this morning for what I call a maintenance workout:

Wrist curls on 1.75" bar:

50x13

100 x 10

120 x 6

140 x 6

160 x 2

180 x 1

200 x 1

150 x 6

Wednesday will be the next workout.

lol, your maintenance is far beyond my max

Hey Roark thats good work.I have started doing wrist curls and was wondering have your wrists thickened since you started doing them.I have very skinny wrists and want to build them up

Hey Roark thats good work.I have started doing wrist curls and was wondering have your wrists thickened since you started doing them.I have very skinny wrists and want to build them up

My right wrist used to be 7.5 and is now 7.75, so 1/4", and since this is the only exercise in which I use what I would call heavy weights, perhaps there is a cause and effect.

Jan 4, 2005

wrist curls thickbar:

50 x 12

75 x 10

100 x 10

125 x 6

150 x 6

175 x 5 (failed on 6th)

200 x 3

170 x 8

I am hoping by the end of this month to get 200 x 6, and this morning instead of 20 lb jumps after 100 lbs I went to 25 lb jumps.

Good Progress Joe, nice and consistent.

Good Progress Joe, nice and consistent.

Thank you. I have learned- and this may be misunderstood by some- to be very instinctive about wrist curls at the time of the workout. If I know ther is no gas in the tank that day I settle for a maintenance workout, but if at all possible I try for one more rep or a ten pound jump- some form of improvement.

I will now settle at 200 lbs for my final jump, and not try more weight until I can get six reps, then I will use 210, 220 in steps as my final jump until six reps are possible.

The drop back set- 170 in the latest workout, I truly believe is the key.

Roark Do you do any reverse wrist curls, rotational stuff, etc to balance out all the wrist curls? What does your overall workout look like? Thanks, climber511

Roark      Do you do any reverse wrist curls, rotational stuff, etc to balance out all the wrist curls?  What does your overall workout look like?    Thanks, climber511

Yes, I do reverse wrist curls on the low pulley and on the preacher bench with thickbar, but my log here is concerned with only my regular wrist curls with thickbar. :D

Jan 11, 2005:

50 x 13

75 x 10

100 x 10

125 x 6

150 x 6

175 x 6

200 x 4 (but fourth rep was sloppy)

225 x miserable failure- could not even swing it up for a negative- may as well have weighed 400 lbs!

175 x 3

150 x 3

not a satisfying workout.

Hang in there!  Good looking log BTW

Josh, I plan to continue until I reach my goal- it may take another year. I was hoping to get 225 by my birthday this month but that may not happen. Hopefully it will happen at some point.

Jan 17, 2005

Was not planning on wrist curls until tomorrow but had to wait to get on a treadmill, so hurried and did this:

50 x 13

100 x 6

125 x 6

150 x 6

175 x 3

200 x 6

160 x 8 two sets

Jan 21, 2005

bumped up starting weight, and some plateaus:

60 x 13

110 x 6

140 x 6

185 x 3

205 x 2

215 x 1

170 x 8

Just did not have it this morning.

215, Ive got a ways to go!  :blink

Are you doing any thing else for your wrists/forearms?

Austin

Yes, but this log is concerned with wrist curls only. :D

Jan 25, 2002

For this workout, because I am participating in the 2005 Wrist Curl Challenge, I tried standard Olympic bar wrist curls, and did not use my thickbar:

Over knees:

45 x 13

100 x 10

120 x 6

140 x 6

160 x 2

180 x 2

200 x 2

220 x 1

180 x 5

180 x 5

Then a I did 8 reps of decline wrist curls over a pad placed on the bench. The pad was angled so that when my wrist came up it was under tension moreso than had my forearms been parallel to the floor.

Using this standard bar, I can lower my hands/wrist wore than I can when using the thickbar- or so it feels.

Next workout I plan to return to thickbar and only occasionally use the standard bar when I am ready to try a new single rep max.

Jan 29, 2005- my 62nd birthday :D

back to thickbar:

50 x 13

100 x 10

125 x 6

150 x 3

175 x 3

200 x 4

200 x 4 cheat

200 x 3 over pad

150 x 6