I Did My First One Arm Pinch Chin Today..

Brad

I used a HUGE assist from the Green Jump Stretch band. It felt cool to do it though. I am trying to convince myself that it is possible. I am training it with a palms away grip because I can get more assistance from my wrist strength in this position.

Brad

I used a HUGE assist from the Green Jump Stretch band. It felt cool to do it though. I am trying to convince myself that it is possible.  I am training it with a palms away grip because I can get more assistance from my wrist strength in this position.

Brad

Are you part monkey??? :yikes:yikes

:bow

Brad,

Never cease to impress me.

Also many thanks for the newsletter, loved the idea and think it could be useful for us a/w guys. I am saving them into a file, so wouldn't mind the other 5 newsletters if you have them.

David

I had a great grip workout today. I hooked up a pulley/rope system to utilize as assistance for my one arm pinch grip chins. I initially threaded a rope through an eye bolt that was already attached to the rafters. I then tied the rope to a KB that rested on the floor directly under the eye bolt. I held the rafter with one hand and held the rope with the other hand. You get an idea how much assistance that you are using because if you help too much with your free hand the weight will come off the floor. I knew that their was too much drag created by the rope against the eye bolt when I was able to do a chin with the rope tied to a 1 pood KB. I then saw Nate Morrison's rotating pull up handle hanging right next too me, so I looped the rope over it instead and used it as a pulley (BTW, these really work the grip well when doing pullups). It worked great! I did the one arm rafter chin with the rope attached to a 52 pound KB but could not do it with a 36 pound KB.

I also easily accomplished a two arm pinch grip chin on a single rafter with a palms away grip with BW plus 52 pounds but failed with BW plus 72 pounds. I figure that I am approximately 45 pounds away from an unassisted one arm pinch grip chin.

I did a rafter pullup on two separate rafters 16" apart with BW + 88 pounds (previous best was BW + 72 pounds. I have not tried these in a while).

I also accomplished the Key Grip Pinch Chin. I grab the Eagle Loops (the way you hold a key when starting a car) with two hands with the fingers on the outside of the loops. I found that the Eagle Loops have a built in progression. It is easier if you grip all four loops due to the slightly wider grip. It gets progressively harder as you decrease the number of loops that you are holding. It did not matter today though as I was able to do it with a single loop in each hand. I don't know how good this is as I have never heard of anyone else trying it. I definitely plan to add weight to my body on these and possibly do them one armed.

Brad

Hey Brad, how difficult is a rafter chin starting from a dead hang? I'm not trying to diminish your accomplishments (they are far and away ahead of anyone else I've seen or heard of).

Congrats on the new PR's.

very cool, as always!

david

a one arm rafter chin is definately feasible for you, IMO. It may take a long time, but it is feasible!

Brad your workouts are just AMAZING! The stuff you do is just mind-boggling :bow:bow:bow:bow

Jimminey Christmas! The mind boggles.

You really need to get into climbing, if you haven't already, Brad... you are already at a level that most climbers dream of!

Hat off :bow:

What is your bw, btw?

Incredible progress!!! :bow

That pulley/rope system does work great. I'm using it now for working one arm chins. But one arm rafter chins are a whole different league!

Thanks everyone!

Jim,

I gave you credit for the rope/pulley system at DD but did not realize that you are raziel on the GripBoard. It works very well!

Naguel,

I weigh 145 pounds.

David,

I think that a one arm pinch chin is possible but I am not expecting to accomplish it soon.

mAnvil,

Starting from a dead hang would make it a lot harder and would decrease the weight that I could pull quite a bit. The bottom position of the rafter pull-up is, by far, the hardest part. I am glad that you brought this up because I need to train the weighted straight arm hangs more. I am working on a movement where I hang on a single rafter with a palms away grip and pull explosively, let go, and attempt to catch the next rafter over but I am having difficulty getting a very powerful pull from the straight arm hang.

Brad

I agree with this dead hand issue. I never was able to do the single rafter chin from the dead hand. Strangely enough, the very slightest bend in the arm makes a lot of difference.

Brad, I climb pretty well and know some really, really strong climbers but none who can do anythings like this. If you don't climb now you NEED TO START. Please.

So how does one begin to hang from the rafters? I just made a thumb clamp and will start work on that. It seems i would need to adapt a gripper about like a coc#1 to get enough pinch power for a one arm pull up. Sick. Any ideas? I weigh about the same as you, perhaps a little lighter...

Number Ten Ox- I have written an article that discusses rafter training. I saw that you e-mailed me and I will put the link to the article in the e-mail. To initially hang from the rafters with two arms, you want to develop as much strength as possible in the following areas: chest crush, pinch, and wrist. My progression was like this: rafter pull-ups from 2 rafters 32" apart, weighted rafter pull-ups on rafters 32" apart, rafter pull-ups on rafters 16" apart, weighted rafter pullups on rafters 16" apart, rafter pullups with two hands on a single rafter with a palms away grip, rafter pullups on the same rafter with palms facing each other, rafter pullups on a single rafter with palms facing me and now I am working on a one handed rafter pullup. It will take a long time to accomplish it but it is fun! The closer that your hands are together, the harder it is because you can not get as much assistance from your upper body.

I would recommend that you actually hit the rafters with your training. BTW-thanks for the compliment! I have never tried climbing but it looks like fun!

Brad

Could you explain the differance between palms facing each other on the same rafter and palms facing you grip? I also have been thinking more about the benefits of gymnastic training to climbing. Besides the link to the article you wrote (which I will read in a moment...) do you know of any other good reads regarding training? Thanks for any help!

p.s. let me know when you want to climb. I will take you out myself.

Oops, I just explored the rest of that web site and found the articles. This will keep me busy for awhile. Sweet.

Amazing! :bow King of the rafters....that is Awesome!

Bumper stickers ideas "I keep my chinup for rafters"

or "Have you pulled up to a rafter today"

Folks just might begin to wonder what type of a

critter a rafter is.

Brad-

Thanks for the credit for the rope/pulley system, but it wasn't completely my idea!

I read it in a one arm chin article on DragonDoor by Jack Arnow and Alexander Lechner.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/232/

It's a gem of an idea buried in all the others thoughts and ideas presented.

Alex explains it about 3/4 down the page under "beginner techniques". I quickly adopted and adapted the training method because it's a much easier set-up than the pulley system also described in the article.

I can't tell if he's saying to actually use a pulley, or use a rope like a pulley system. But I've simply thrown a rope over the bar and tied a weight onto one end. My bar is smooth and slick enough that the weight will still easily move. I use a thick rope I can grab onto well, instead of a thin rope or eagle loop, because I'm trying to work my one arm, not the assisting hand or arm.

It's true that friction won't give you a completely accurate representation of weight assistance (although you've solved that problem with the rolling handle), but regardless, it creates a simple mechanism to decrease assistance in a measured way.

I cranked a one arm chin with 5-lbs on the rope, but I'm just guessing the actual assistance is probably closer to 10 or 15 lbs.

Jim,

Sure enough! I read that article before. I remebered Jack's pulley system but not Alexander's. I find it a lot more convenient than using the resistance band and it allows me more contol of my body position during the pullup. Good work on the one arm pullup!

Joe,

I demonstrate palms away and palms facing me in this video:

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/albun07

Palms facing each other. Grab a single rafter with the fingers of one hand on the opposite side of the rafter as the fingers of the other hand. Your thumbs are on the opposite side of the rafter than your same hand fingers. That is, the thumb of your right hand is on the same side as the fingers of your left hand and vice versa.

capt. crushalot-Thank you!

Brad

Edited by Brad

Brad,

Pleeeeaaassse keep this log going!!!!! I'm currently working towards a one arm chin, but my next goal in this area would be a rafter chin (2 arms).

Perhaps a one arm rafter pinch chin with a lot of body english would be a feasible stepping stone goal for you?

Jon@han