PDA vs. COC

Guest danreeves

Guest StrongerthanArne

For the record, I have pointed out many times on this that my #3 is below the average IP number for a #3. I would not call this promoting your own achievments at the expense of others.

Strongerthan, you'll notice that nobody ever mentioned that your #3 was lower strength or anything.  You did see a need to apply a correction factor to a higher rated gripper and then said it was easier than yours.  That's the difference.  I'm still very happy for you to be a COC, a great accomplishment by any definition.

Blueshadow, I agree.  Let's stop debating who's stronger who's weaker.  That can only be settled when people touch the same grippers.  Let's celebrate each other's accomplishments.  Virtual contests don't work!!  Too many variables. :D

Dat's rite!! I don't care if you are Aussie,Yank,Taliban<-- ;) , Martian,etc, I think you are all great! We are giving this subject more relevance than necessary aren't we? We will always differ as to IP's calibration etc, let those who want do it and those who don't won't,no big deal!  :D

Salud!

JJ

I was trying to avoid joining into the bickering, but after reading the words "I just don't want to reduce the accomplishments of people down to some numbering system " (terminator), I feel compelled. Measuring human performance is the only way to accuratly give people credit for their accomplishments. Like it or not, measuring must involve a numbering system. No great performance can ever be reduced through accurate measuring and, likewise, no great athlete should fear it.

- Mike M.

Guest StrongerthanArne

It is a difference between discussing two grippers and discussing the owners of the grippers. I wanted to point out that a 417 IP gripper might be easier to close than a 400 or whatever if its handles are considerably longer (all other things being equal) and that this has to be taken into consideration in a competition for example. I did not by any means intend to downplay the achievments of the owner of that gripper. In hindsight I should have discussed (if at all) others grippers only if these grippers had a shorter handle length than my own. I am sorry that I singled out your gripper.

Cool!  Are we all friends again?

Supersqueeze, I agree with you.  I don't actively seek or avoid competition.  I fear nothing and am confident in my own abilities.  If a gripper finds it's way into my hands, I'll either close it or train till I do.  Simple as that, no more, no less.  PR's mean more to me than anything, those that know me, know why.  I wish everyone success at what they desire. :D

Terminator, back on page 2 of this monster you said "I grow tired of the constant bickering.  I liked when the board was a good natured way of sharing information".

I could not agree more. Instead of trying to convince the next guy we are right, what say we all make a conscious effort just to drop it for a while. I think we all have spoken more than our fair share of our opinions, and anything more is counter-productive for everyone. If one guy likes calibration and someone else doesn't, so be it.  Let's get back to "sharing information" and pressing one another to higher goals.

I wish everyone good hard closes on whatever gripper they are working on.

I agree with supersqueeze too.  

StrongerthanArne, I didn't know I had offended Luke too.  All I said was that I didn't see the need to measure everything, obviously you do, nothing wrong with that.  That's your style. I've never been a technical person.  If I can't do something I just figure I'm not strong enough.  

Everybody take deep breaths.......

I say let's drop the crap and get back to training.  Cheer everyone else on, offer help when needed, and work our poor little fingers till they bleed.

This very topic is exactly why the IGC was created.  There will be "ranks" within the grip community set forth by the IGC, and measures and official "equipment" to decide who is where when it comes to grip strength.  I am a "certified" COC.... but would I put MYSELF in the same class as Sorin, Brookfield, Kinney or Horne?  No way.  

So who is the greatest "CrushMaster"?  This will ultimately be decided by the IGC - as it should be.

Guest Luke Reimer

Heath, I think Mickael was only speculating about my

feelings. I don't mind disagreements, and it's a good thing--

given how opinionated I am.

:p

:D Seeing that most of us live oceans apart and we need to compare our own achievements to something for the motivation and whatever kick you might get, we should keep it simple i.e. #1,2,3,4. If we get into the 312ip 313ip 314ip mine is longer than yours etc. it kinda takes the fun out of the comparison.  :blush

:D When it comes to records well that is a completely different story. The only real but maybe not practical way of determining records and who’s the best would be for an organized competition, all the competitors using the same equipment etc. ;)  But you all know that.

:crazy Hey maybe one day pure grip strength will be an official Olympic event!!!!!  :hehe

Guest StrongerthanArne

I recall CanadaCrush mentioned that he had recently bought a #2 and a #3 which were fairly close in difficulty (a #3 can be very different in difficulty from another #3). I think the best way for PDA would be to offer uncalibrated grippers at different wire diametres (and use diametres intermediate between those used by IM), like IM are doing but to maintain the superior tolerances of the SOS grippers. I really like the consistent configuration of the SOS grippers but I am obviously confused by their IP ratings.