Bent Over Barbell Rows

Jeff Parker

What hand position should I use for bent over barbell rows so that I can increase my atlas stone lifting. Palms facing in or palms facing out? Thanks.

I would have to say the best bent over row for atlas stone lifting would be doing bent over rows with bricks.

I want to use these with a lot of weight. I just tried them out with using both grips and it was really easy to do 155 for 10 each way. I'm thinking I could prolly do them with around 200 for 10 reps. I just turned on the Magnus DVD, and he does them with his palms facing in. Unless anyone could give me a reason to change my hand position, I'll do it the way Magnus was doing it.

practice both......hands facing out(under-grip rows) will hit your lats, but also your biceps, which are damn important for stones.....you will be able to, or should be able to use, more weight on this one.....facing in(regular or overhand row) will hit your back with less bicep involvement. hope this helped

Hammer Grip with a DB or if you want to hit every angle do econo-rows with a bell.

Never tried a real atlas but rows definatly come in handy when using river stones and quarry stones, and engines.

Do your barbell rows with palms in for back strength. There are better movements for bicep strength. Cheat a little if you have to and try to work up to some serious weight. For rowing that will improve your stones do pin rows. Take a loading pin and throw 4 or 6 45's on it. Slap on a tight collar and tip the weight on its side so that it rolls around. Now grip the weight with palms flat against the plates and without your fingers going around the sides of the plates and perform your rows that way. Pin rows will help build the strength to lift stones off the ground without tacky.

If you have access to a shrug bar, you might be able to do rows with that as well. That way, your palms will be facing each other like they are on a stone. The only disadvantage is that it will put your hands too far apart to approximate a stone. I have heard of people doing rows with stones as well. If you have one, you may give that a try as well.

In my opinion, I don't think bar rows are one of the major lifts you need to practice for atlas stones. They certainly will contribute, but most of the atlas stone lift is like a deadlift. I would do some plate curls to build up wrist/hand strength to be able to clamp onto that stone with yoru hands, and i would also do the bar rows with palms down. The biceps are in a weaker position that way, and will challenge them more.

Any low back movement is great to transfer strength to atlases. Expecially deadlifts off of blocks.

Haven't tried these yet, but it seems that bear hug deadlifts/rows would be a reasonable gym approximation of Atlas stones. put a 45# plate on one end of an O-bar and as many 45s and other plates as you can handle on other end. Straddle the plates on the heavy end, squat down and "Bear hug" the plates around their circumference close to the chest/stomach for DLs or with more extended arms with legs bent for rows. Obviously adjust your body position in relation to the plates for the best feel and range of motion.

I have an atlas stone that I made, but I have only picked it up once and that was just a few inches off the ground. I dont have a weight on it, but judging by the circumfrence, I think it is in the neighborhood of 280. Ill try all this stuff, and hopefully I'll be picking up that sucker like its nothin.