Tyler's Grip Training Log

Tylerm

Thursday the 9th, my 2nd bending session ever

five 6" long 3/8" round stock

one 5 3/4" long 3/8" round stock

one 6" long 3/8" round stock plated

one 6" long 3/8" square stock plated

Today, Monday the 13th

These were difficult for me, pretty worn out by the last of the 5.5" pieces. Most of them were just short of being parallel, I probably should have gone with 5.75" pieces for this session. Bought some 1/4" round stock today as well, cut a piece to 7", but I couldn't even kink it. That is no surprise, but I will get there.

three 6" long 3/8" round stock, plated

five 5.5" long 3/8" round stock, plated

one 6" long 3/8" square stock plated, only kinked to about 10 degrees, failed. A couple areas of my palms are looking a bit bruised, and I just didn't have it in me for this final bend, I really felt weak in the wrists by this point.

Thursday the 9th, my 2nd bending session ever

five 6" long 3/8" round stock

one 5 3/4" long 3/8" round stock

one 6" long 3/8" round stock plated

one 6" long 3/8" square stock plated

Today, Monday the 13th

These were difficult for me, pretty worn out by the last of the 5.5" pieces. Most of them were just short of being parallel, I probably should have gone with 5.75" pieces for this session. Bought some 1/4" round stock today as well, cut a piece to 7", but I couldn't even kink it. That is no surprise, but I will get there.

three 6" long 3/8" round stock, plated

five 5.5" long 3/8" round stock, plated

one 6" long 3/8" square stock plated, only kinked to about 10 degrees, failed. A couple areas of my palms are looking a bit bruised, and I just didn't have it in me for this final bend, I really felt weak in the wrists by this point.

Did you mean 3/16" and not 3/8"???? If you were bending 3/8!! 1/4 should have been a snap!!

Pretty good volume for a newbie. Take your time and increase it slowly. Some good looking stuff there.

Did you mean 3/16" and not 3/8"???? If you were bending 3/8!! 1/4 should have been a snap!!

Crap, yeah I meant 3/16" not 3/8"! must not have been thinking while I was typing that

Did some bending today, perhaps a bit too soon (last session was on Monday) as it felt more difficult this time and I still failed to finish bending the 6" long 3/16" square stock I tried on Monday but only kinked. Most likely the deadlifts from Tuesday combined with Monday's bending session led to my tired out hands. I need to make sure to give myself recovery time! I have bent 3/16" square stock a couple other times and while hard, I was able to do it without too much of a problem.

two 6" long 3/16" round stock

one 5.75" long 3/16" round stock

four 5.5" long 3/16" round stock

one 6" long 3/16" square stock plated, already kinked, bent it a few more degrees but that is it. Failed. My last attempt I felt a bit of pain in my right wrist, so I gave up.

Yesterday did assorted grip work including

- assorted levering work and hand to hand tosses with an 8 lb. sledge

- pinch block with a 3.5" x 3.5" x 7" wood block with eyehook for a carbiner and weights (used 22 lb. for assorted holds for time)

- 1" dowel segment, about 6" long and attached to a loading pin with an eyehook

- 3/8" eye bolt with weight attached, various grips for time

- Some playing around with a 20lb. hex block, doing deadlifts from the ground with each hand

- Wrist roller work

Bent two 6" long 3/16" square stock just for the hell of it. One of them snapped in half as I was doing the final crushdown, which is the first time that happened.. Felt really hard and then just snapped

Also ground down a 100 lb. gripper from Heavy Grips to make it harder to use as a warmup. This always felt really light to me, and I compared it to a friend's CoC Trainer, and I was right, as the Trainer was much more difficult.

Got my new loading pin from Ironmind today, as well some cordura hand pads for bending, a couple inner sandbag shells, and my CoC #1. I warmed up my hands with a lighter gripper and was able to no-set crush the #1 maybe half a dozen singles with my right hand and a few with my left. Pretty happy about that, especially since my hands were pretty worn from yesterdays grip stuff. I need to get some more extra $$ so I can get myself a #2 as well to work with..

This is from Friday the 23rd:

Grip work at home:

- 3.5" x 3.5" x 7" pinch block, 22 lb. held for time. Two 30 second holds per hand - Surprised I was able to do this, as my grip already felt pretty worn from the thick bar deadlifts just before this grip session. Also, did much better than last time, where my left hand I only got a 15 second hold, as opposed to two 30 second holds this week. This is really wide, really works the fingers and thumb. I want to make a thinner one as well, next week sometime.

- 3/8"x7" eye bolt, 22 lb. attached, 2 different grips for 1 minute holds each hand

- wrist levering work, 7.5 lb., both arms, assorted levering, tossing hand to hand etc

- 1 x 8.5 lb wrist roller (1 rep = rolling up and down)

- 4 x 11.5 lb wrist roller

Later today I am doing a bending session, will post afterwards as well. This has been delayed because of doing some max effort DL's on Friday with a thick bar, and then doing this grip work, my hands were toasted.

Monday, Dec. 27th - Bending

Warmed up with reps on a light gripper, some light wrist levering and hand to hand tosses. Used my IM cordura hand pads to bend today, I had done so last session, but had rolled the stock in one of them. This time, I folded them in thirds and rolled up each end of the steel seperately. Prior to receiving these I had been using a very light dishrag. The 3/16" stock felt super easy, even the 5.25" and 5" pieces felt the same, and I hadn't done below 5.5" before. The 6" pieces especially bent like pipecleaners, no real effort. Attempted 1/4" x 7", last week I tried and didn't even make it budge, got it to kink. Did some square stock which felt much easier than it had previously, and then attempted the 1/4" stock again, kinked but failed. I am aiming to get it next session.

Bent the following 3/16" round stock:

2 x 6", 1 x 5.75", 1x 5.5", 1 x 5.25", 1 x 5"

1/4" x 7" round stock 1st attempt, kinked it

four 3/16" x 6" square stock

1/4" x 7" round stock 2nd attempt, kinked it some more, wrists were giving out

Today's bending pics

Edited by Tylerm

Bending

I forget exactly what I did at first, but this is about right, the three main bends I did I was quite happy with. The timber tie fell no problem at all, as did the 1/4" threaded bolt. The unthreaded one was harder, but I got it. Got them all bent to parallel, the unthreaded bolt maybe 1/16" short of true parallel. I just have a handful of timber ties, I am going to go back and get a bunch of them, I found it fun to bend.

5.5" x 3/16" round stock

a couple 5" x 3/16" round stock

5.5" x 1/4" all thread grade 2 bolt

6" 60d timber tie, galvanized

6" 1/4" x 6" grade 2 bolt

My last post from earlier today was bending I did about midnight last night. This next session was about 2pm today

Got home and went downstairs to do some work related stuff, some some bolts and nails sitting there and I couldn't resist bending a few more. 2nd timber tie felt tougher and I felt my right wrist giving a bit, so that was it. In a few days I plan to get a bucket of timber ties and go for volume. I bet I can do 6 for sure, maybe 10.

3/16" x 5" round stock

5" x 1/4" all thread grade 2 bolt

two 6" 60d timber tie, galvanized

Impromptu Evening Grip Workout

Just started playing around while watching tv, basically just worked until I could no longer even pick up the hex blob or do fingertip pushups. I definately need to get some chalk, that will help as my hands started to get sweaty. Plan on doing levering and wrist rolling on Friday after deadlifting session. Want to do more bending but am giving my right wrist at least a few more days, I bent a couple threaded grade 2 bolts and a timber tie yesterday, and felt as if my right wrist wasn't ready for it yet. I did pick up 5 lb. of timber ties that I want to start on

- a bunch of small sets of fingertip pushups - these alone made my fingers feel sore much different than they ever have

- lots of deadlifting and pinching 22.5 lb. hex blob

- 3x10 or so passing 22.5 lb. hex blob around my body hand to hand

- 3x12 wrist curls with hex blob, each hand

- 1x3 each hand 70 lb. (not including handle) one arm deadlifts with 3" thick dumbell - had to assist with other hand on the way down on some of these so I didn't drop it

- 32 lb. lifts and holds with 3" dumbell handle, as well as a few curls and presses with the same, each arm

Saturday Jan 9th

Bending

1 grade 2 all thread bolt 1/2" x 5.5"

15 timber ties - 6 twist

1 timber tie - 12 twist

1/4" x 7" round stock - kinked but failed

Did the all thread bolt as a warmup, as well as light gripper work. I list the timber ties as 6 or 12 twist, as the 12 twist are way more difficult than the ones with less twists. I don't think those are the actual numbers of twists, but close. I will post photos tomorrow showing the difference between them and of my bends today. Did two or three timber ties then attempted the harder 12 twist one. Only kinked it, most difficult bend to date. My brother gave it a go and bent it a couple more degrees and then failed. I went on to bend a bunch more timber ties. Couldn't resist the 1/4" x 7" steel sitting there and gave it a go. In one try bent it more than I had in multiple tries in the past, so that is something. I will post a photo of that tomorrow as well. It will fall soon enough. Bent the rest of the timber ties, then picked up the 12 twist one and really gave it my all and finished it off, bent to just about parallel. Took me a minute or so though. Those 60d's that I have aren't looking nearly as menacing as the used to. The timber ties were falling very easily, but by the last few felt much more difficult as I tired. Was very surprised to realize that I have callouses on my palms from bending. I haven't even done that much bending yet but I have callouses that are about 2" long x .25" wide on both hands towards the outside of my palms.They are surprisingly tough and thick, I can't believe I hadn't noticed them before.

Attempted gripper work but my palms were too beat do do more than a couple closes with the CoC #1. Also did a couple small sets of fingertip pushups, biggest sets only being x5 as my fingers give out. These will improve quickly, I am sure.