Vertical Bar Lift Variation

bencrush

On 12-12-04 I decided to try a different thickness on the vertical bar lift. Instead of the usual 1" or 2" I rigged up a 2.375" v-bar lift. Easily done. I used the IM Olympic loading pin to load the weight on. Once the weight was loaded I slid the PVC handle over it. Then secured the whole deal with a heavy duty collar. Slid the PVC up to contact the handle and lifted.

I only specify that the lift was pulled higher than 2 centimeters because I think that's what the list Mikael has compiled actually uses. If I'm wrong I hope someone will correct me. Gently. :D All one handed of course.

2.375" PVC V-Bar Lift-95->2 centimeters-both hands

-140->2 centimeters-both hands

-150->2 centimeters-both hands

-160->2 centimeters-both hands

-170->2 centimeters-right hand only

I like the feel better than the 1" version. Seems to rely more on grip strength than pain tolerance. Not that I'm implying by any means that the 1" version is not grip dependent.

This might start another grip graph thread from Paul Doire. I hope it does, because it would be interesting to see what percentage of their 1" v-bar lift people can do with the 2.375" handle. The PVC is cheap. Hopefully people will give this a try and report back.

My percentage would be 80%. 212 is my 1" v-bar max. 170 is my 2.375" v-bar max for now. Let it begin...

I only specify that the lift was pulled higher than 2 centimeters because I think that's what the list Mikael has compiled actually uses.  If I'm wrong I hope someone will correct me. 

The minimum lifting height required is 5cm, which is about 2 inches.

Ben great idea. I like the idea of a thicker vbar as it would seem more grip related. Ive done a 2" version after getting dino training. Ill have to try your idea as well. Thanks!

Austin

This might start another grip graph thread from Paul Doire.  I hope it does, because it would be interesting to see what percentage of their 1" v-bar lift people can do with the 2.375" handle.  The PVC is cheap.  Hopefully people will give this a try and report back. 

My percentage would be 80%.  212 is my 1" v-bar max.  170 is my 2.375" v-bar max for now.  Let it begin...

The grip graph thread person is Scott Styles.

Nice idea though Ben.

I seem to be screwing everything up these days...5 cm not 2...Scott not Paul. :blush Still good with the V-bar because I'm sure they were all pulled above 2". Thanks for the clarifications guys.

Bencrush,

I started messing around with Vbar lift recently and did not check any of the specs and started doing Vbar lift with a broken end of an olympic bar ( the plate loading piece) I felt so weak when I was reading evryone saying they were lifting 200+lbs on Vbar and I was a meek 160lb max.

If you get a chance to try it on a broken oly bar let me know IMO it suck the life out of you. polished crome is slick shit and the thick handle does not help matters.

-Sean

I'm inclined to think that a thickbar V-bar should be one of the best alround grip excersizes you can do. I've only tried thickbar V-bar pullups (on a lamp-post, of all things ;) ), and it felt like it really worked the whole hand.. thumbs, fingers, wrist...