New Ironmind Grippers!

Razorman

Another thought on the new IM beginner grippers.

Are they the same near 2 7/8" spread as the normal tougher grippers ?

I think it would make sense to have them at a more narrower spread (at most 2 3/8 or 2 1/2") since these aren't likely to be used by large handed men, but are very likely to be used by women and youths, both of whom have smaller hands in general.

The typical newb has no idea about setting and has never heard of it and also might consider it "cheating"

..neilkaz..

With the easier spring, I have little doubt that it will be an easier gripper to set, thus more gripper technique training right from the start. How many of the men here grabbed a trainer and click, #1 and click, #2 and brick. It has to happen some where for all of us. Some like of the men here smash all in their way but still learn to set. I think it will be great for starters to learn how to position the gripper, even if they are working no-set, you still have to be able to get it ready to slam shut.

I think I will buy these for my wife. She can get the trainer on a good day but it hurts her hands. I think she would use the new ones more often and get used to them.

T

:D  i emailed ironmind  telling them that we would buy a 1 1/2 a 2 1/2 a 3 1/2 and a 4 1/2 if they make them and even a no 5 gripper maybe  if we keep at it they might make some  :mellow

I think any requests might be drowned out by orders for the new grippers. Not to say I wouldn't like to see some more variety (2.5 and 3.5), but I definitely see a bigger market for these new grippers.

A #5? I'm not holding my breath.

You might see a #5 when there are 20-25 guys on the #4 list..

1 in 1998

2 in 2003

2 in 2004, more getting close

4 in 2005, optimistic guess

5 in 2006, even more optimistic, but some of the guys who were patient are finally getting there.

6 in 2007, still trying to be optimistic.

That is about as fast as the list would grow to 20 IMO. So a #5 in 2008.

More realistic though.

1-1998

2-2003

2-2004

2-2005

2-2006

2...you get the point, maybe 1 one year and 3 the next but it averages out to 2

So that means the list gets to 20 around 2012, sounds like some kind of futuristic movie. So I hope no one is holding their breath.

Ironmind is doing the wise business thing in building their base and accomodating those just getting started. Those who are up to their ears in it already have 30-40 grippers...hmmm..Heath.

I guess we'll see.

T

There's 5 on the #4 list right now.

Joe Kinney

Nathan Holle

David Morton

Tommy Heslep

Magnus Samuelsson

Gerry,

Many thanks!

One of the reasons why we haven't done this is because of the risk of having overlapping categories , this is something I explain in some more detail in the book Captains of Crush Grippers, so maybe you already know about this. Anyway, I understand why you'd like these intermediate grippers and this year we developed a training tool to help guys like you bridge the gap from one gripper to the next . It's called the Handgripper Helper, and it gives you the same benefit as slapping a couple of plates on the bar when you're lifting.

Want to thank you for taking the time to write and let us know that you'd be interested in these grippers.

Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

Randy

Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D.

IronMind Enterprises, Inc.

Edited by gerryg

Raziel,

Thanks for the clarification, my list states number per year that certified, you have to add them all up to get the total. My numbers weren't meant to be cumulative, but how many I projected to close it that respective year.

T

Gerry,

Many thanks!

One of the reasons why we haven't done this is because of the risk of having overlapping categories , this is something I explain in some more detail in the book Captains of Crush Grippers, so maybe you already know about this.  Anyway, I understand why you'd like these intermediate grippers and this year we developed a training tool to help guys like you bridge the gap from one gripper to the next . It's called the Handgripper Helper, and it gives you the same benefit as slapping a couple of plates on the bar when you're lifting.

Want to thank you for taking the time to write and let us know that you'd be interested in these grippers.

Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

Randy

Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D.

IronMind Enterprises, Inc.

This is my reply on the coc#1.5,coc#2.5,and coc#3.5!

T Sands-

Gotcha. I'd agree with your second list then.

I say this because of the new credit card rule. I can't imagine the difficulty some now face in closing the #4. And a "#5" credit card/no set close seems beyond the realm of possibility.

Agreed!

I think that instead of the rule change they should have gone with another harder gripper, much like the Mash Monster pyramid. That way the field would have been level. You wouldn't have guys saying "sure he closed it under the old rule, but can't do it under the new" meanwhile the dude has nothing to prove as he is now training for other feats. A #4 close is huge any way you look at it. Credit card is more impressive, and no-set...wow! A #5 would be cool but I doubt anyone would close it for a while even with a good set, let alone a credit card, but who knew Kinney woulda pulled what he did in 1998. I want to see who the next closet monster is going to be and these new grippers are another way to get youngins into it early and I am looking forward to the results in 5-10 years when these kids will be repping 3's and 4's after years of training. The best is yet to come...more challenges, more growth, more strength!

T

Edited by T Sands

With the easier spring, I have little doubt that it will be an easier gripper to set, thus more gripper technique training right from the start.  How many of the men here grabbed a trainer and click, #1 and click, #2 and brick.  It has to happen some where for all of us.  Some like of the men here smash all in their way but still learn to set.  I think it will be great for starters to learn how to position the gripper, even if they are working no-set, you still have to be able to get it ready to slam shut.

I think I will buy these for my wife.  She can get the trainer on a good day but it hurts her hands.  I think she would use the new ones more often and get used to them.

T

Yes, they'll be easier to set, but who is going to teach beginners about setting ? Before I found the GripBoard 7 weeks ago, I had no idea about setting grippers, and neither will most beginners.

..neilkaz..

I would say that most of the grippers out there weren't purchased because of an advertisement they saw on MTV. When I got mine the person who recommended it to me showed me how to use it.

Much like a basketball, there is good form and bad. Granted basketball has greater exposure but there are plenty of people with piss poor form shooting and passing for that matter.

The ones who want to do well seek out help. Others are cocky and try to do it alone. Either way the new grippers will increase the hand strength of those that use it, set or not.

Hopefully when someone recommends these to a friend they will also let them in on some of the technique.

T

Yes, they'll be easier to set, but who is going to teach beginners about setting ? Before I found the GripBoard 7 weeks ago, I had no idea about setting grippers, and neither will most beginners.

Did anyone else find setting to be instinctual? I don't have catcher's mitts for hands, so when I picked up a gripper, I naturally squeezed it a bit with my other hand so all my fingers would get on.

I figure beginners will work with both hands to get the best grasp on a gripper. It seems a perfectly reasonable to predict this.

And those who are really interested in grip will probably find their way here eventually. I hope. :)

although technique is important in anything, i think in this case not learning it at first isnt such a bad thing....when i got my #1, i closed it out of the box without a thought............i had no idea what a set was.....i would just pick it up close it 1-4 times, then set it down.....eventually my hands got so tired i had to lay off for a few days...but that built a great strength base, and i think alot of beginners can use that. when the close a #1 for instance with a set, most of them will almost immdiately want to jump to a #2, and could end up hurting themselves.....or if the go on KTA, like i did, they wont have the complete mastery over the gripper need to accomplish it.

I've got some bad news for anyone wanting a new #3. They are SUPER NASTY TOUGH!

Wide - 3" at the bottom-most part of gripper, knurling not so sharp, double-stamped, spring set deep into handles.

I'd like to see someone cert under new rules with these grippers! :ohmy I'm playing with Benchmark Gripper C right now - sweep kinda spongy at start, then it gets SUPER NASTY TOUGH! :bow

Did anyone else find setting to be instinctual? I don't have catcher's mitts for hands, so when I picked up a gripper, I naturally squeezed it a bit with my other hand so all my fingers would get on.

I figure beginners will work with both hands to get the best grasp on a gripper. It seems a perfectly reasonable to predict this.

And those who are really interested in grip will probably find their way here eventually. I hope.

Ya, it was instinct. The idea of a No Set seamed rediculous to me at first.

uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh, who who be looking at an Ironmind catalog that would want a store strength gripper for twice the price? Who reads Milo or Ironmind catalog that can't already close a trainer? Just my two cents but this is the most rediculous thing I've heard in a long time.

Hah, I did the setting on my own well before it was debated (or even really discussed) on the gripboard. Just seemed natural cause I couldn't get my hands around the thing.

uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh, who who be looking at an Ironmind catalog that would want a store strength gripper for twice the price? Who reads Milo or Ironmind catalog that can't already close a trainer? Just my two cents but this is the most rediculous thing I've heard in a long time.

Someone just starting out with grippers who isn't very strong yet but was directed to Milo and/or IM by someone already versed in gripping?

I set on my own as well. My pinky wasn't reaching, and I knew I'd need everything I had to close it.

With the easier spring, I have little doubt that it will be an easier gripper to set, thus more gripper technique training right from the start.  How many of the men here grabbed a trainer and click, #1 and click, #2 and brick.  It has to happen some where for all of us.  Some like of the men here smash all in their way but still learn to set.  I think it will be great for starters to learn how to position the gripper, even if they are working no-set, you still have to be able to get it ready to slam shut.

I think I will buy these for my wife.  She can get the trainer on a good day but it hurts her hands.  I think she would use the new ones more often and get used to them.

T

I bought the Guide fro my wife and daughter. I am new to gripping so i got the Trainer which I am doing many reps on. But my wife and daughter could not close the trainer so i am happy they have these two lower tension ones. I want my wife to have strongrip for self defence and my daughter is a cheerleader who does the tossing and catching of the girls so a good grip is important. I know that some on here were insulted by these grippers but they are a business and need to amke money and by hower a two lower grippers a new group of people could be introduced. What ironmond really needs to do is get carried in storebecause i know too many highschool kids buy the Kmart gripper which for a little more money can have a superior one

They may not be offered in stores, but you can get them on amazon.com! I was just thinking about checking to see if amazon offers the new Guide and Sport grippers.

Every single guy who reads ironmind will be buying them for their better halves. Seems to be the case so far! :laugh

I might even consider that but I know how the girlfriend would respond to a gripper at Christmas :flame