New Ironmind Grippers!

Razorman

There's now a 60lb Guide, and a 80lb Sport to go along with the 100lb Trainer, and up.

Nothing beyond the 4.....

They also offer some interesting bendy iron bits to step between grippers.

The new IronMind catalog is out with new toys, fellas.......

There's now a 60lb Guide, and a 80lb Sport to go along with the 100lb Trainer, and up.

Yeah great catalogue.

Now they have 3 grippers from 60-100lbs.

But they have no more from 2-3 or 3-4.

I guess they like us buying the in betweeners elsewhere :whistel

Yeah great catalogue.

Now they have 3 grippers from 60-100lbs.

But they have no more from 2-3 or 3-4.

I guess they like us buying the in betweeners elsewhere :whistel

Yeah it seems like they slam the tweener grippers by saying something to the effect of that they'll probably just overlap in strength and you can spend a small fortune. The little blue thing is is like 12.00 bucks plus shipping. I'd rather spend a little more and get a BBSM if I was chasing the #3 or better yet an ISG.

The Guide and Sport make good sense for IM I think. Honestly, how many women or younger males starting out can close the trainer ? Athletic ones or women who've done lots of physical labor likely can, but most women, from my experience cannot.

My wife insisted that we bring my grippers to the family Thanxgiving GTG/dinner party. Honestly, several of the adult gals couldn't no set close the HG 100 and only my wife (who I trained for two weeks prior) and a niece could close the HG 150 (which is supposed to be like the Trainer) A couple women couldn't close my store bought gripper which I feel is like an HG60 (clearly easier than a Guide) until I showed them exactly how to hold it and then they only barely got it.

My point is that IM can and may expect to sell quite a few of these new weaker grippers to women and youths, as in many cases the trainer will be bricks to them and not very useful.

Now for me, I'd love to see an IM 2.5 as the gap between my 2 which I can almost no set close and my 3 which I cannot no set to less than 1.25" is huge. Fortunately I have the HG 300 as a near 2.5 to do NC's with to aid my chase of the #2.

Hopefully, in a year or so I'll be chasing the #3 close and want a 3.5. OK I'll order one from Warren then, but it would be nice to be able to get a 2.5 and 3.5 from IM.

However, grippers vary greatly and just imagine the hassles at IM if someone orders a 3.5 and it is only a tad more difficult than their 3. You may then blame their QC, but grippers vary and we certainly don't want to add several dollars or more to their costs to have them test and calibrate each one, or do we ? We may, the the general public will likely balk at paying 25-30 buck for a gripper, IMHO.

..neilkaz..

I never heard of anyone not being able to close a store bought gripper. :blink

When I first got my COCs I skipped the trainer, thinking I was pretty tough and could get the #1 first try. The product description of the #1 lead me to believe this but alas, I was denied. I later got my trainer and not suprisingly I could no set it. However all my friends I ask to try could not get it, I was rather stunned because I thought darn near every highschool male should be able to close the thing.

Neilkaz has a good point, there is a market for these things. I know that alot of people are impressed if you can pick up one hundred pounds with one hand, and considering closing a gripper that supposedly takes around 115 pounds of force to close is more difficult, this is out of range for a sizable amount of people. I wish I had these type of grippers when I first started training when I was 10 or so.

If the grippers below the trainer were $15, I'd probably be buying several to be giving as gifts. $20 is just a little to much for a gripper that weak.

As I mentioned in another post, Bill Morrison of Heavy Grips says that for every 1 HG400 he sells, he sells 250 HG150's. There just isn't a big market for heavy duty grippers beyond a certain point.

As I mentioned in another post, Bill Morrison of Heavy Grips says that for every 1 HG400 he sells, he sells 250 HG150's.  There just isn't a big market for heavy duty grippers beyond a certain point.

Yeah that may be true, and it is important to help newcomers to the advantages of a good grip, but I find it a shame that CoC gives a big kick in the ass to all of those who have advanced past the trainer...

But I do hope they succeed as I love their grippers! :bow

Edited, deleted a comma and added an o to a to that was supposed to be a too.

Edited by timster

I think the new grippers are great. Sure, I would never use them, but I think they'll help draw a lot more people into grip training.

While some love that the trainer is "twice as strong as a store gripper" to some, that's intimidating, and to others - as some have seen - that's too strong.

I think we take our hand strength for granted sometimes and forget that the things done on this board are leaps and bounds above average hand strength.

This will only help spread grip training, imo.

IMO the trainer is an easy enough starting point. My wife can close it and she does no grip work. But I can see a market for them I guess which is why they are releasing them. Probably more of a market for the easier ones than the 4's or maybe even the 3's.

My fiance cannot close the trainer. If I had one she could close, she would be willing to play with the grippers when I do, just because I'm doing it. The weaker grippers are definitely a good thing.

I think the weaker grippers are a great idea and you can bet whenever I have kids I'll be buying them some ASAP.

I wish I had these type of grippers when I first started training when I was 10 or so.

Would that work?

I showed my grippers including store bought gripper to my 11 year old sibling a few weeks ago. But those young child hands are just too small to even try it, it wouldn't matter how weak the gripper is, it needs to be more much more narrow to be of use for those that want to train when they are just 10.

Someone back me up with hard data, but wouldn't putting high stress (i.e. a hard gripper) on a child's pre-pubescent hand be detremental to their development?

This is running along the lines of avoiding heavy weightlifting for children until they've matured enough.

Edited by raziel

I don't know if it would be bad or not. I'm almost positve I remember seeing something on the IM site a long time ago that had a picture of Joe Kinney's 12 year old closing a #1 with a caption something like "this begs the question can the #2 be far behind?". I guess it depends on how fast the kid develops????

Well,

I let some girls and woman test the Trainer at work in the gym I train in.

Only one could close it.

My girl friend who's very eager tries to close the Trainer for a couple of months now.

I ordered the Sports Gripper (80lbs) for christmas to keep her enthusiasm high.

If the grippers below the trainer were $15, I'd probably be buying several to be giving as gifts.  $20 is just a little to much for a gripper that weak.

I agree with you Scott!

Someone back me up with hard data, but wouldn't putting high stress (i.e. a hard gripper) on a child's pre-pubescent hand be detremental to their development?

This is running along the lines of avoiding heavy weightlifting for children until they've matured enough.

The idea that lifting stunts growth is vastly over exaggerated. It is not smart to have a young kid lifting extremely heavy at a young age, that does not however mean they can not lift.

I agree that if the two new weaker IM's cost 15 rather than 20 bucks, I'd be much more likely to give them as gifts, rather than HG's. I may end up buying IM's anyhow, since I think Santa is going to bring me some other IM stuff. However, it is more likely I buy HGs for gifts.

If IM had a beginner's special where the Guide, Sport, and Trainer could be had for $50 I think they'd sell quite a few packages.

For smaller kids, like my 10 year old daughter who is quite strong for a 4 grade girl, the grippers are too large for their hands. They need to squeeze "squeeze balls" (or whatever those things are called) or better yet, IMHO, hard rubber dog toys. My daughter can easily get her fingers around a hard rubber donut shaped dog toy and do some reps to work her grip if she wants.

..neilkaz..

Edited by neilkaz

I wish I had these type of grippers when I first started training when I was 10 or so.

Would that work?

I showed my grippers including store bought gripper to my 11 year old sibling a few weeks ago. But those young child hands are just too small to even try it, it wouldn't matter how weak the gripper is, it needs to be more much more narrow to be of use for those that want to train when they are just 10.

I was not the usual case. I have always been stronger, before I did any athletics, than my peers. Most likely it was due to the relatively high amount of manual labor/chores that I had to do compared to most other children. When I first tried a store bought gripper (possibly early as 8) I could close it, and believe me, setting the gripper never crossed my mind. It had plastic handles with a foam sleeve which made the spread about 2 inches. Lower arm training has always been my favorite type of lifting and when I was just starting out, I would have emensly enjoyed a gripper that was a challenge, and I don't think a 60lbs. gripper qualifies as heavy lifting. Heavy lifting may have some bad effects on growth and developement, but I content that moderate to low level resistance training can only help.

:D i emailed ironmind telling them that we would buy a 1 1/2 a 2 1/2 a 3 1/2 and a 4 1/2 if they make them and even a no 5 gripper maybe if we keep at it they might make some :mellow

:D  i emailed ironmind  telling them that we would buy a 1 1/2 a 2 1/2 a 3 1/2 and a 4 1/2 if they make them and even a no 5 gripper maybe  if we keep at it they might make some  :mellow

I will also email them!

:D  i emailed ironmind  telling them that we would buy a 1 1/2 a 2 1/2 a 3 1/2 and a 4 1/2 if they make them and even a no 5 gripper maybe  if we keep at it they might make some  :mellow

Then we would have discussions on who has a hard 3.5 that feels like someone's weaker 4 - etc.

;)

I'd still buy them.

T!

Edited by tspinillo