Octogen, Rjkd12 And Drpepper

Octogen

Following on from Strongmantobe's challenge to race people rom the blue to the red we've accepted the challenge to race from the grade 5 to the Red.

Good luck guys!

Following on from Strongmantobe's challenge to race people rom the blue to the red we've accepted the challenge to race from the grade 5 to the Red.

Good luck guys!

Did a few timber ties and crs of various lengths 2nite. Nothing too extreme as I'm going for a max bench tonight, that and I'm new to bending so I need to get my body used to this mumbo jumbo.

Dr. Pepper and I had a great workout. Started out with some TT, and then progressed to some 7" CRS. After doing one of those, we both bent two different 60D nails. Then I bent a 4.5" CRS. I gave Brian a 4.5, and took a 4 inch for myself. We both raced to see who could bend them first.

After a little bit of a struggle and some re-wrapping we finished pretty much at the same time. Not to mention gripping with my 2 and filed two randomly throughout the sessions.

We finished up with a few pathetic attempts on a 3, some pinching with 25's, levering with a sledge and then the 2 for as many reps as we could, then the one, and finally the trainer. My hands are killing me. I'm gonna be sore as can be tomorrow.

4.5 CRS on his second bending workout.... You are definetly going to keep us on our toes Brian.

After accepting the challenge naturally my first week of training went out the window with work and other stupid distractions!!

Today was my first grip workout in a while and I was very disappointed to say the least.

I've been working on the #2 and bending at the same time but I think that too many max gripper efforts directly before bending are hurting my bending. I've gone from being able to do a G5 in about 60 secs to failing on the last two i've attempted, NOT HAPPY :angry:

So anyway I'm going to lay off the grippers before bending and see if that helps.

Today

#1 2 x 3 each hand

#2 attempts 10 each hand nothing closer than 1/8"

1 x 6" x 1/4" easy CRS

1 x 5.5 x 1/4" FBBC

Failed at a G5

After accepting the challenge naturally my first week of training went out the window with work and other stupid distractions!!

Today was my first grip workout in a while and I was very disappointed to say the least.

I've been working on the #2 and bending at the same time but I think that too many max gripper efforts directly before bending are hurting my bending.  I've gone from being able to do a G5 in about 60 secs to failing on the last two i've attempted, NOT HAPPY  :angry:

So anyway I'm going to lay off the grippers before bending and see if that helps.

Today

#1 2 x 3 each hand

#2 attempts 10 each hand nothing closer than 1/8"

1 x 6" x 1/4" easy CRS

1 x 5.5 x 1/4" FBBC

Failed at a G5

I know the feeling. Taking some well needed time off from lifting because of finals and what not. You'll get that G5 next session for sure.

Well, warmed up a bit, and then attempted a G8, put such a small bow in it, its barley worth even mentioning. Did a G5, and stopped bending. Played with the RT, pulled 135 (its not the smoothest RT), did some grippers and played with some small blobs. Then went to scrolling, scrolled two 1/4 CRS, the second one broke mid scroll so that was kinda a pain because that one was actually starting to look cool. Scrolling took a lot out of me, I probably did that for close to an hour.

After all that went back to bending. Bent a few really hard 60d Nails, and then attempted G8's again. First one got to 90 degrees, but it was really really off center. Second one got to 90 degrees again, but thats it. Worked on it for like 10 mins and it would just spring back. Finished off with some sledge work and called it a day.

Plan on for my next few workouts to re-crush all of my stock untill the handles are under an inch, bend a few nails to 90, letting them cool and finishing them off. And bending a few G5's. Also maybe cutting G'5 or nails, we'll see, depends on how I"m feeling, my hands are still sore as hell.

Ryan is really coming along in the bending department. Dave Morton watching on a webcam noticed something when Ryan was bending and when Ryan tried what Dave was talking about he instantly improved. I think those of you who cant find a good bender in the area to learn from might want to get a web cam and do some webcam sessions on line. If you are a double overhander and want to learn technique get Erics Ebook there is a lot of good information on that.

The second most helpful thing (in my opinion) is humiliation :D We made ryan wear his failed attempt on a string around his neck. That will keep the training juices going :D Great Job Ryan keep working, I see some red in your future.

Greg

Edited by gamidon

GRADE 8 DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was pissed that I havent been able to do much the past few days because my hands hurt so bad. Two rips on each palm are more of an annoyance, and both palms have bruises on them. Earlier today I bent a few TT's and a grade 5 but felt weak and my hands ached.

Just now, like 5 hours later I was looking at the grade 8 that I kinked to 90, but couldn't finish at gamidons house. It was laughing at me. So instead of killing it, I killed one of its friends. Bent it to 90 quickly, and then tried to continue as fast as possible. After 90 though, it was smally increments all the way to like 1.75 inches. I have to work on my crushdown a lot.

Grade 8 already!!! Man i've got my work cut out for me!!

Congrats on the G8 thats awesome!

My workout today

Im blue x 1

G5 x 1

I seem to be stuffed after one max bend so i'm going to work some volume using FBBC 1/4" stock one day a week and then a max bend session every week.

Keep on bending Octogen. Also try to find a friend who will bend, or get online with someone. When I train by myself, I quit much earlier than if I train with a friend. Just as I was going to tell gamidon I wanted to go home because I was exausted, he handed me a wrapped g8 and said "Now you are lubed up!!" I laughed at him, but ended up kinking it. I bent for a good hour after that, and in now way in hell would have without his support and name calling ;) Work up with a lot of volume with g5's, maybe have two separate bending sessions a day and bend at least 3x a week, assuming you are totally focusing on bending. If you ramp up the volume, you'll be suprised how much you can handle. In two weeks you'll be wondering if they made the g5's easier ;)

Good workout today. Had a little bend session with rjkd12, gamidon, and gamidon's son.

Grade 5 bent

Grade 8 bent

IM Red can go get bent cause it kicked my ass. Couldn't kink the thing to save my life.

I've tried bending more but I'm a true low volume animal and that seems to hold true for just about any type of strength training.

I'll add some more volume with the FBBC stock and then start working on the G5 volume.

On that note i've realised i'm down to my last few G5s and i'll have to order some more

Ok first off I don't know what the hell has happened to my bending and now i'm really pissed off :angry:

Tonight I thought i'd work some volume on the 1/4" FBBC stock but I barely got a kink in the first one and then failed at an IM blue!!!

It seems i'm going backwards at a very fast rate and I can't figure out why.

Any input would be appreciated

Ok first off I don't know what the hell has happened to my bending and  now i'm really pissed off :angry:

Tonight I thought i'd work some volume on the 1/4" FBBC stock but I barely got a kink in the first one and then failed at an IM blue!!!

It seems i'm going backwards at a very fast rate and I can't figure out why.

Any input would be appreciated

Do you workout?

Yes, which might be the problem since I do a lot of other stuff throughout the week including BJJ and gym work.

Actually I just started back in the gym doing the powerlifts so I wonder if thats hurting my bending.

Nice bending, as well as progress, guys!

Don, I dread those bad workouts, but keep in mind that they usually point towards a really good one in the very near future. Also, training the powerlifts heavy really shouldn't hurt your bending. In fact, the contrary should be true. I took just enough jiu jitsu to give me a false sense of security :tongue , but I could see how a lot of the prolonged straining as you grasp someone's limb or garment could be detrimental to a bending or hand strength workout.

Greg, the necklace of shame idea is priceless! And apparently quite effective.

Race is over!

Took a few days off, mostly because I was just being a puss. Then I got back at it today. Did two TT's, and a G5. Talked to Greg online and he gave me some pointers. Realized that I was changing my grip quite a bit for the red, and that was part of the reason for me not getting it. Put my hands in the right spot and hit it with all I had. Greatest feeling in the world when that sucker starts to bend. :yikes Finished it in under 2 mins. Tried again with another, and finished it, but it took a while. Plan to make an order from IM and get myself some reds ;)

Great Job Ryan... :bow

Ryan was chatting with us last night and going to make an attempt on the red. Those who have not had to suffer through Dave and My tough love will not understand just how much pressure we put on people to succeed. Just when he thinks we are happy with his progress and goes to stop, one of us jumps on him and tells him to do more, stop whining and GET SOMETHING DONE!!! So When Ryan gets his first red, he was probably expecting a ticker tape parade, no such luck. Dave told him to wrap another to prove the first one wasnt a fluke. so he did and about 10 minutes later he gets it done. We actually told him great job and would have let him off for the night. He grabbed a grade 8 and couldnt get it. Well if you grab it you finish it, so he took some abuse until it was done. He told us we are either the best motivators or the biggest dicks he ever met. :D unfortunalty we are probably a little too much of both... I could not be more impressed with this guy and could not be more proud to call him a friend. He is willing to work through the pain and put it on the line, and I for one am impressed. Next time he comes over we will get the video done and officially certify his accomplishment for the gripboard certs (BTW tomorrow night is good for me you lazy ass). Until then congrats, great job, and what the hell are you resting for there are plenty of cut reds that need bending...

Ha, I actually did recently start bending. My first time bending was late october. I think the few days off, and concentrating on form really made a difference. I bent a 1/4 7" CRS to get the size right and to concentrate on exploding into it. Also Dave and Greg telling me about hand/wrist position and what not was a huge help.

Fantastic progress, Ryan! Congratulations! With Greg as your witness I can already add your name to the Red list. Just supply me with your last name, date of the bend, and the city and state in which you mangled the RED.

Technically there wasn't a witness. Greg was online at the time, but there was no video recording. Unless I got some big guy to come over and bend the two reds he gave me, this is hard thing to lie about (especially since a cheat kink really woudln't help me since my problem is the crushdown). I'll get over to Gregs house after the holidays and bend one on videotape. Thanks for the nice words everyone.