Oh Press

Jeff Parker

When doing a clean and press, what kind of leg movement do you use for the press?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. When doing a clean and press, what kind of leg movement do you use for the press?

• Push Press
    • Split Press
    • Other?

I ask this because I see most pro strongman using a push press when they press a log or an axle. I use the split press, and I can do much more weight that way. Lately, I have been doing push presses to failure, and when I can't do any more of these, I can get at least 2 or more presses using the split press. Do contests sometimes prohibit the use of the split press, or do the pros just do what they feel more comfortable with. If contests do sometimes only allow a push press and you can't split press, I would start training my push more.

I said other because when i do a push press, this is how it goes: I do the push press to get the bar moving upward, then i do a second small dip with my legs to help get under the bar just a little. Some might call it a slight push jerk. Then after the bar is locked out overhead, i slowly lower (to get the negative) which has been very effective for me.

meat, I saw magnus do his push presses the way you do it. Someone that has comepted in a lot of contests, Do they ever prohibit a split press?

I usually split jerk and if it's heavy, I press out the lockout. This is basically a combination of the two and is not always allowed, probably not in the pros, but I have never encountered specific dissalowing of a jerk press out as of yet.

I've never heard of many contests banning the split jerk. Anyway you can get it overhead works just fine. I don't think many guys split jerk because it is too technical to do when you're a big guy who is already winded from the other events.

Geoff Dolan has Split jerked ~370, so it's aloud in the pro's.

In my routines, I generally work first on the no-leg-drive Olympic-style press with a big sway back, because I love the movement and like the way it feels in my back. I do not bench much, so this is my primary tricep training.

When can no longer go up in weight I do Push Press, without any rebend of the legs. I see many contests advertised on the net that are not allowing nay jerks, so I don't even train them anymore unless I know it is going to be allowed in the contest. Finding out minutes before the press event last August in Maryland was a shocker.

If I am doing a contest where the jerk is allowed, I will go on to Push Press with a rebend of the legs but no split, and then finally i will move on to split jerks. I figure there's no sense in doing jerks just for the sense in jacking ore weight up if the technique is not going to be allowed. I can usually pick the form back up ina couple weeks anyway, because I have been doing them for so long.

This sequence goes for both log press, OLy or thickbar, or yoke press.

-Jedd-

Thanks Jedd. That was basically what I was afraid of, that I would be practicing my split style just to find out right before I compete that it is not allowed. I guess I will be mostly practicing the regular push press. By the way, since you do both, do you have a big increase in your split as compared to your push?

It feel more naturally for me..meaning never had to train it, just my body wanted to do it without me telling it..was the split jerk. I do it for all the overhead work :ohmy

do you have a big increase in your split as compared to your push?

Tried this yesterday. Went to a gym with bumper plates to see if I could jerk 300 pounds out of the rack. I couldn't quite get it, so I am thinking it's going to take me afew weeks to get back up to that level.

-Jedd-