Squats

Jeff Parker

I was having trouble coming out of the bottom of my regular squats, so I started doing deepsquats where my hamstrings were just about touching my calves, as low as I could possibly go. I did these in place of regular squats for about 2 weeks, and they went up a lot. Strange thing is, my regular squat actually went down a little bit. Has anyone had this happen? If your weak point is at the bottom for regular squats, how often would you suggest doing deep squats to help this problem? Thanks.

Yep, Anytime one increases their Range of motion in an increaes, drop in strength. Your body is not used to that range. Best way to get better at it is to perform everything and squat in their fullest range possable. The only thing I don't think one needs to go crazy one is stiff legged deadlifts, people perform them on benches to increae ROM, I don't think one needs to at all to work their hams. Glute ham raises work better anyhow. its good to pause at different spots of the range of motion as well.

my goal with doing squats is mainly to have better functional strength for strongman, but to also have a decent squat for when there is an actual squat event in a contest. What would you suggest? Train just the deep squats? Do both? To be honest, squatting down all the way feels far more natural to me than stopping. It always hurts my hips when I squat down to parallel or just below.

short answer, squat deep, then all bases are covered, if it feels wrong then it probably is. I've been squatting for about 16 years "off and on" and I'm the same , I feel unnatural cutting a squat at exactly parallel

Start off doing Squat lockouts first, do a couple of sets, then move on to Deep squats.

I was having trouble coming out of the bottom of my regular squats, so I started doing deepsquats where my hamstrings were just about touching my calves, as low as I could possibly go.  I did these in place of regular squats for about 2 weeks, and they went up a lot.  Strange thing is, my regular squat actually went down a little bit.  Has anyone had this happen?  If your weak point is at the bottom for regular squats, how often would you suggest doing deep squats to help this problem?  Thanks.

You're weak out of the hole because you have weak hips and ass. Box squats my good man, box squats. What other assistance lifts are you doing for legs, more specifically hammies?

Edited by DrPepper

I had the same thing happen to me, but now that I do full squats , I will never go back. I do , do 1/4 squats occasionally to strengthen my joints but that is with much , much heavier weigth

Dr. pepper, I do stiff legged deadlifts, good mornings and hamstring curls. When I am in the middle of my squats, my hips are sore the most, definatly a weak point for me.

Dr. pepper, I do stiff legged deadlifts, good mornings and hamstring curls.  When I am in the middle of my squats, my hips are sore the most, definatly a weak point for me.

Ever done pull throughs?

I have not even heard of them.  What are they?

1. Go to www.elitefts.com

2. Click on Q & A

3. Scroll down to exercise index

4. Scroll down to pull throughs

Tried the pullthroughs yet?

I did. They felt basically like good mornings, but i think I felt them in the hips more because of where the weight is. I'm gonna throw them in my workouts and see how my squats go. Thanks for the tip.