The Foggy Darco Flog Log !

Darco

The Rules: 3 fingers (Middle, Ring & Pinky) no set, the gripper can be placed into the the hand but it cant be set.

I'm at paralel and Foggy is a tad shy of it, this will we a LONG one :laugh

Winner gets the half eaten sandwich clay offered me in my first Flog Log.

Edited by Darco

Oh man, I can taste that sandwhich now. Mmmmmm... moldy. :erm

I think my fingers will have changed into steel by the time I accomplish this. Let this log be a warning to you all, train the inverted close! ;)

What a weird idea to challenge each other. :D

3 fingers inverted no-set close on a #2?

That is tough.

Even though I can no-set my #2 inverted pretty easily I had

tremendous trouble to get it under parallel with 3 fingers.

About 1/2" or so.

Thats a funny challenge.

Good luck guys.

An interesting and unusual challenge. I will enjoy

watching it in progress.

Good Luck to both competitors!!

I enjoy inverted gripper closing and have felt a lot of benefit from it in the past. It actualy feels a more natural close.

David

what does the inverted close do for you? am i missing something?

I'm not the expert but I find it has a MUCH better carry over AW then a normal close.

11-28-04

I did a lower arm workout, rather moderate because I plan on doing arm wrestling training tomarrow. I'll post the workout in my log but here is the flogging training:

Flog attempts on my filed #1. The right hand would have closed it had it not been filed, the left, not so good. After a few attemps I set the #1 in my hand in the 3 fingers and got it in the close zone, I open my hand wider and closed down on it again. I repeated this all in one set of the gripper a few times. Using my choker, I placed the number 2 in it, and clamping it with my three fingers, closing it with a little assistance, I pulled the choker out and let my grasp ease open. :cry My palm was being crushed into the base of my thumb. I was able to close my #2 using the widest set to date, easily over the credit card rule. These wider sets and no set training regular style are part of my flogging training to train the no set.

Great job guys. I had to try the flog under the rules you put forth. I got my #2 to about a centimeter with both hands. Was able to close my #1 and Trainer. Very hard to pick it up and do it table no set. I had to put it into my hand to get close on the #2. But with no squeezing of the handles to set it deeper into place. The #1 and Trainer were done TNS. Hats of to you guys when you accomplish this feat. It will be a good bar bet! :D

Great job guys. I had to try the flog under the rules you put forth. I got my #2 to about a centimeter with both hands. Was able to close my #1 and Trainer. Very hard to pick it up and do it table no set. I had to put it into my hand to get close on the #2. But with no squeezing of the handles to set it deeper into place. The #1 and Trainer were done TNS. Hats off to you guys when you accomplish this feat. It will be a good bar bet!

Well done Ben, I didnt know your inverted close was so strong. Your a LONG way's ahead of me at the moment.

Short One today while writting up a paper.

Set Closes

#1: Warm ups

F.HG250: 3 attempts I got to about 3mm beyond the normal range.

#2: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2,

RB180: 1

HG300: 0, 0, Missed it today by about 2mm

Inveted Set: #2: 1, 1, 3

Flog: #2: 15 mm, 13 mm, Both with holds so I can get a good measurement,

Table no Set Flog Attempts every minute on the minute until the handles no longer go past parralel, HG 250 x 14 Attempts ,

Normal Attempts: fHG250 2mm past Normal Range. x 3

#2: set closes x 2....

Keeping Alot in me for my other My table curls.

• 2 weeks later...

! Holly Flu like virus having steroidal effect Batman !

I've been sick, plus I have strep throat :angry: again....

I've been fiddiling with grippers every day for that last week or so just going for a few max crushes per day, plus table curls, wrist curls, fingertip pushes.....all ALOT more volume then I'm used to while healthy. I grabbed my #2 this morning after waking up, gave it a set close, walked out of my room accidently banged my toe, walked back to the room and failed to close it for the first time in a LONG time (anger and pain never seem to help my strength)

After doing my finger tip push ups tonight, I grabbed select my number 2 overcrushed it, then couldnt resist to attempt a flog...... :erm

No set placed in hand Flog attempts :

9mm PR !

7mm PR !

15mm !.....oh wait, shit :dry

20mm

Well I know when to call it quits... :happy

Very nice work Darco! :rock That thing is yours. Soon!

I saw that the other day you did TNS Flog attempts...do you always do your #2 attempts TNS, or is that not even part of the Flog challenge? Just curious, because I have been doing them TNS with some "set" (not setting, just positioning) assistance work thrown in for good measure.

12-17-04

Thanks for letting me post my Flog workouts here Darco and Foggy. It will be fun to be challenged by you guys. Only right hand will be listed, but I'm training these left handed also. All reps listed are full open and close reps. All initial reps were done with TNS.

TNS-Flog-Trainer-179 total reps-best was 30 consecutive reps

TNS-Flog-#1-9 total reps-1 attempt-best was 3 consecutive reps

TNS-Flog-Wide #1-7 total reps-best was 2 consecutive reps

TNS-Flog-Double Filed #1 (Shrug's)-3 total reps-2 attempts-all singles

TNS-Flog-#2-2 attempts-closest was @ 1cm

TNS-Flog-Wide #2-1 attempt-@ 1.5 cm

TNS-Flog-2.25" HG250-1 rep :rock -1 attempt-this is easier than most #2s though

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I started the "set" work. Actually no setting or pulling the handles together was used. I only positioned the gripper in my hand and then removed the non-gripping hand before starting to squeeze.

--------------------------------------------------

Set-Flog-#2-3 attempts-closest @ 1 cm

Set-Flog-2.25" HG250-1 rep

I did the rest of the TNS Flog reps on the Trainer after most of the hard attempts were completed. Just wanted to get a tiny bit of volume, even though it feels like I didn't do anything. :D

Ben I usually train no set just by placing it into the hand, but I do mention it specifically when I train them, my TNS is actually much stronger inverted than it is for a regular close.

Nice volume that's some pretty sick stuff, ~200 reps and a bunch of attempts then you go and do grippers again today. :ohmy

I'm going to do some thick bar lifting tonight.....just got some weird urge.

Hey guys, like an idiot I posted my workouts in my other challenge log. The Frankyboy and Bencrush challenge log. Good stuff in there that I did over my vacation, which is why I'm typing very fast...and also why I put it in the wrong log. :blush

To abbreviate: I got my #2 to @ 1/8" Flog style last night. Repping out my double filed #1 now flog style. PDA262 Inverted close (4 fingers though) for 3 consecutive reps. Big PR for me there.

12-28-04

Did some TNS work with most of my grippers. Then switched to the flogs...

TNS-Wide #2-Flog-Hose Clamp Set At 1"-AttemptX1-@1/8"

TNS-Flog-#2-AttemptX1-@ 1/4"

TNS-Flog-Double Filed #1-2 singles

TNS-Flog-Wide #1-2 singles

TNS-Flog-#1-2 singles

TNS-Flog-Trainer-2 singles

The #2 flog is proving to be quite hard. As I knew it would be.

12-30-04

A very good day all around. Had a good bench press session which surprisingly seems to warm my hands up for some good grip work.

TNS-Flog-#2-AttemptX2-best was @ 1/4"

TNS-Flog-Double Filed #1-50 reps total-*PR* for total reps

TNS-Flog-#1-1

----------------------

Got a pair of Handgripper Helpers over Christmas and put them to use today. I duct taped one to a #1 and messed around with it a bit. Neat tools. Sort of hard to get accustomed to...but probably worthwhile in the long run.

----------------------

TNS-Flog-#1+Handgripper Helper-AttemptX1-@ 1/8"

I'm wondering if this might be a better method of progressing towards the #2 flog. I really enjoy all the reps though. And will probably do them regardless of whether or not I get stronger for a one rep max. Good times. :D

Flogging should transfer to the standard close IMHO, since you focus on the weaker fingers which have a better leverage in the normal position.

That should be especially useful the final close of the gripper.

If you can close the #2 that style Ben, you should also be much better with no-setting the GM.

Up to now I only did inverted 2 finger closes with ring and pinky but vary rarely.

Should do some Flogs on my own.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't forgotten about this. Well actually I did because I filed my #2 slightly (very slightly, but you can feel the difference), good thing all I had at the time was a crappy file. Anyway I did some lower arm training last night. First workout after my strongman competition. Started off with bending. Did some timber ties, then bent some 1/4 square stock braced. Then did some pinching on my chunk using and elastic band as resistance. Then I got to crushing. I held my number 2 closed for time, for three sets. Getting about 5-10 seconds on my left and 15-20 seconds with my right for three times. Then I did some inverted three finger closes in a choker with my #2. It was easier to get with my left this way. I then realised this didn't mimic the hand positioning of a no set very well so in the future I will use my #1 in a choker using a modified hand position to help develope the closing power. I finished with a set of negatives on my ISG.

Excellent work Foggy! I hadn't tried any flogs for a while but after reading about your workout I decided to give them a quick go again.

Grabbed the #2 and placed it into my right hand without pulling the handles together. Closed it! :rock Barely, but a legit close. I was so close the last few times I tried these that I was becoming slightly pissed about not closing the gap. Guess all it took was some rest and mixing lots of volume with much lower goal gripper attempts. Not rocket science I guess...

Great Job Ben, that's awsome ! :rock

I'm still at 7mm, so it's going to be a while.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foggy, I had practiced with it in the chocker several times too, I think i need more sweeping power.

• 7 months later...

This is a flog related post I put elsewhere, figured I should put it in here:

About to go to bed, I must be up in several hours but right before turning in I decided to click my #2, no warm up, hands cold, forarms sore and tired.....usuall recipe for disater.

#2 clicks, 50 reps, my knuckles cracked on the first 20 or so mellow.gif Sweet.

Picked up my heavy grip 250, no set right, inverted no set left, no set right, inverted no set left, three fingered inverted no set right (but with the dog leg in my palm.)

This is my all time Flog PR.

Now to get it with the spoon, then left handed, then the #2, followed by the RB 180, the HG 300 and the #3. laugh.gif Cough....Narrow Elite...Cough rolleyes.gif

#2 clicks 47, 40 smile.gif

HG 250, 1-2" set and reps: 2, 5iL, 2

I didnt list the various close attempts I made.

I'm lending out my HG 250 tommorow to my friend Grenade so I figured I would have a go at it tonight since he will master it quickly and be ready for a heavier one soon. I would not be surprised if he surpassed me quickly, and I wont mind either. The day he out deadlits, rows or military presses me though.....then i wont be to happy. tongue.gif

Modified due to further training ! Twice.

I'm lending out my HG 250 tommorow to my friend Grenade so I figured I would have a go at it tonight since he will master it quickly and be ready for a heavier one soon. I would not be surprised if he surpassed me quickly, and I wont mind either. The day he out deadlits, rows or military presses me though.....then i wont be to happy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Very Next Day

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grenade Picked me up yesterday to go meet his new girl friend I hand him the HG250 and tell him to train with it.....while driving he picks it up off the dash AND TABLE NO SETS IT :ohmy

Very Impressive ! So I respond with a proper FLOG, followed by a 2 fingered attempt at a regular set close that stopped at 1/8 of an inch.

I can see him closing a three very soon.

Later on at a party, I arm wrestled about 20 people and finally succomed to defeat at my last pull, both left and right.

Various things I heard that nite.

"You probably wont beat me, I'm a rock climber and work construction" ---Well so am I (I destroyed him so effortlessly, with an open hand just like swating a fly)

"Dry walling made my arms really strong" -they were strong, but he still lost.

"I dont stand a chance do I" ----Good intuition, bad mindset

However the guy that beat me did so quite easily, MUCH easier than the last time we AW (3 years ago) were it was a draw.

I consumed 20 beers and got home at 4, exellent post workout nutrition and recovery as usuall.