How I Got Started With Weights

kelby

i just wanted to share a little story of myself. when i was about 12 i seen a book and old york barbell books. and when i seen reg park man i just went nuts. i wanted weights so bad. i wanted to look like him. where i come from it is small,and the city is five hours away. all i was doing was push ups and pull ups and hitting the bag. i got pretty strong, but i didn't have that big muscle look, nor did i have that brute strength, that only weights can give. until in 1984, a police officer moved to my town. this was one of the first cops we had. when he move he sold his weights to us. and that is how i started. i did nothing but benching curls shoulders and barbell curls and tricep extensions.( is started squats about five years after that i didn't know the importance of it) i did three sets of six reps each, that is all i ever did. now buy the time i was sixteen i was benching 320 and curling 150 pressing 225. then when i was in my early twenties i was using tricep extensions with 280 pounds and curling 200 and benching over four hundred and shoulder pressing three hundred. and not once did i go to failure. now i do a lot of push ups and chin ups and bodyweight squats. cause i am also into grappling. but i still hit the gym once a week. i can still do the same amount of weights, but i have no need for brute stength, i got enough of it, i need endurance now. and also gripping will help in grappling alot. my brother was also in jail and he influenced me alot, cause when he got drunk he would come to my mothers and fight or be and asshole, so i needed to defend mysef. after about a year i did beat him. never again did he bother us like that. i only learned of grip training two months ago, wish i could of known about in early eighties. thank god for the enternet. i am thirty five years old now, and i went through lots of hard times alcohol, fighting in the bars etc. but now i am totally different. got a wife and family. and i hope my kids workout cause it does give you a better life and discipline. so to all you young guys who want to be strong stay away from booze and drugs (i could of been alot stronger if i didn't have a drinking problem) and for pete's sake do the basic exercies, don't listen to the six day a week thirty set per body part and train till you can move bullshit, cause it doesn't work for us junk toxic free bodybuilders and strength enthusiast. today even though i don't drink or do drugs, i still like to fight(it is something that was in me). but i never look for trouble, never ever man. but i do like a good grappling match. for some reason it is good for the soul and fun trying to beat each other. like playing cards or checkers. gotta be two moves ahead. will hope you take advice young men, life is short and life is great if you don't abuse the pleasures of it.

Nice.

I always like to hear how a person was pulled toward the weights. And it's cool that you overcame some issues while you are still relatively young. We do live and learn, don't we.

Sixgun...

Great to hear your story Kelby.

If you pulled thru that you will conquer the #3.