Beginner Going For The #1

rwindleyme02

I've been lurking for a while learning all I can about gripper work. I bought a trainer to gauge my starting level then quickly bought the KTA program and got a #1, #2 & #3 on order.

I can currently close the Trainer for reps so my first goal will be to start out slow and use KTA to master the #1 using the Trainer as the gripper I can close and the #2 as the one I can't close. Once I can rep the #1 for 10 reps or so, I'll move up and try for the #2.

For Dynamic Thumb exercises, I've got a large binder clip with the handles covered in duct tape. When I get to where I can open this all the way (or bend and deform it) I'll step up to a bigger clamp.

I'm not in a rush so I'm starting out low, but I like to see progress so I'm hoping KTA will do that for me, even at the low levels.

My ultimate goal would be to close the #3 (isn't everybody's) but my main reason for the grip work is to supplement my weight training. I actually came to this board from another board (bodybuilding.com) and am a student of the teachings of the book "Beyond Brawn," which encourages grip work as an important aspect of lifting.

I should get my #1, #2, and #3 in the mail today and am going to start today if possible. Wish me luck!

good luck...but start a new log now for the #2 because if you don't get the #1 in the first try, i'm sure you will within a week.

LOL, yeah I'm hoping the #1 falls that quick. We'll see :)

Oh yeah, I have a 7-3/8" hand.

Edited by rwindleyme02

good luck...but start a new log now for the #2 because if you don't get the #1 in the first try, i'm sure you will within a week.

pffftttt......my hand is sub 7"....stop crying :tongue

pffftttt......my hand is sub 7"....stop crying :tongue

Not at all, I was actually just saying that FYI. I've read lots of posts about people with small hands being at a disadvantage with the new rule but I don't think it's that huge of a deal (for me at least).

I am training with a credit card set per the IM rules.

10/26/04

Did the 1st day of Week 1 all in one workout yesterday after my weight training. Wasn't too bad. My skin kinda hurt a little but I decided to get a jump on the healing process and did 3, 60 second contrast baths and moisturized my hands afterwards to make sure I'm doing everything I can to keep them healthy. I even slept with gloves on last night just for the hell of it to see what it felt like. Weird, but I don't hurt this morning at all so I guess that's good.

As for initial benchmarks, I started out doing a warmup of a single on the Trainer and a single on my "goal" gripper, the #1. Closed the Trainer with my left and right. Got to 1/4" & 7/8" with my right and left hand respectively with the #1.

My left hand is much weaker than my right. I also don't have as good form on my left which is contributing to this. I'll work on the form more and hopefully things will improve. On the LH OCs, I could not close the trainer consistiently after the initial warm-up.

It seems that I got a 2nd wind at the end of the workout and was able to OC much more forcefully. Weird.

As for dynamic thumb training, I did the recomended sets and got 3/4" open and 1/2" open for 10s with the binder clip with my right and left hand respectively.

I'm going to Lowes tonight to go ahead and get a metal file to file down my Trainer on Monday of next week. I'll also get some metal washers and shoelace so I can do my strapholds in Phase 2.

The only thing I can see that would improve my results is to break up my workout into morning and evening. I'll try and do a workout when I wake up and later in the day from now on.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. This should be fun.

10/27/04

Day 2 of Phase 1, Week 1: From now on, I'll start my posts with the results of my warm-up attempts. Here was yesterday's:

RH: T - Closed; #1 - 3/8"

LH: T - Closed; #1 - 1/2"

Did the scheduled Smooth-out negatives and OCs. Went great with the RH, LH was able to OC the Trainer the first set but not on the subsequent sets. Better than last time though.

I also made some progress with the dynamic thumb with a new best of 3/4" open on the LH.

As for pain and soreness, I haven't really gotten any really to speak of. This isn't from lack of effort I can assure you. When I'm OCing, I'm crushing as hard as I can so that my face hurts after I'm done. This is accompanied by much grunting. :)

I can definitely tell a difference though as my palms are a slight bit more tender but not hurting at all. I'm doing 3 contrast baths for 60 secs after my workout quickly followed by Aveeno lotion with menthol. Seems to be working well. I'm not going to sleep with gloves at night for a while to see if it really makes much difference.

I'm also going to continue doing all of my reps in one workout b/c it seems to be working for me and is convienient. If the volume get to be too much later on, I may end up spliting it up.

I know these entries are somewhat lengthy but I wanted to try and put together a log for people that are interested in making the jump to buying KTA to see what it's like and get a better feel for whether it's for them. I'm starting from almost the ground floor in terms of initial strength so I think it will be interesting to see how a true beginner responds to the program.

Again, if you have any comments or questions, let me know.

Edited by rwindleyme02

Ryan, nice log here. Good luck with the #1. I think you'll conquer it in a month or two with your sensible training and attention to hand health/recovery.

Are you interested in certifying with the Super Master? It would be an intermediate gripper that's easier than the #3. Might be a stepping stone on the path to the #3 cert. It is done with no set though, which might pose a problem if you're not training them or even interested in them.

10/28/04

Warm-up Attempts

RH: #1 - 1/4"

LH: #1 - 1/2"

Did my SONs and OCs. Could not close the Trainer with my LH on the OCs.

Got my Thumb clamp 7/8" open with RH and 5/8" open with LH. Added 15 quick reps to the end of the thumb workout.

10/29/04

Warm-up Attempts

RH: #1 - 1/8"

LH: #1 - 3/8"

Things went really well today. I upped the volume per workout and after not being able to OC the Trainer with my LH, I was able to in all sets this time. The last set, my LH OC came apart just a bit.

Got my Thumb clamp 7/8" open with RH and 3/4" open with LH. Did 16 quick reps at the end of the thumb workout.

10/31/04

Went to Six Flags and got in no gripper work today (unless you count gripping the ride's handles :))

Ryan, nice log here.  Good luck with the #1.  I think you'll conquer it in a month or two with your sensible training and attention to hand health/recovery. 

Are you interested in certifying with the Super Master?  It would be an intermediate gripper that's easier than the #3.  Might be a stepping stone on the path to the #3 cert.  It is done with no set though, which might pose a problem if you're not training them or even interested in them.

I'm making quick progress with the #1 so far. Very pleased with the program. I'm thinking I might actually be able to close it after this week with my RH. I'm being conservative, I know, but I wasn't to do things right.

I've definitely looked at the other intermediate grippers and will probably look into getting some of those when I get up to the #3 area. My training is using a set with the credit card rule.

Are you using chalk when you use the grippers? It helps to ensure you spend your effort crushing the gripper instead of trying to keep it from sliding around.

Are you using chalk when you use the grippers?  It helps to ensure you spend your effort crushing the gripper instead of trying to keep it from sliding around.

Nope, I'm not. I don't have a real big problem with them sliding but I will probably pick some up soon.

Oh yeah, I'm in CA for a week, keeping up my training. Will post my log when I get back to ATL.

• 3 weeks later...

11/1/04

1/8" away with my Right and 1/4" away with my left

Edited by rwindleyme02

11/2/04

1/8" away with my Right and 1/2" away with my left.

I've got bad pain in my left.

Edited by rwindleyme02

11/17/04

Ok guys, I've been really bad about logging and keeping up with my grip since I went out of town. I'm back now and will be starting over again. Suprisingly, my strength is right back where it was when I left off.

1/8" with Right and 1/4" with the Left