Almost, But No Cigar

denver

Breif Background:

I have been rock climbing (emphasis in bouldering and sport climbing) for a little over eight years. I have been incorporating grip training into my climbing workouts for a little over a year (first introduced to grippers 08/04). Over the last year I joined the gripboard and became very interested in gripwork beyond it's benifits to climbing. Bending, blobs, pinch and gippers have been my favorites. In the past climbing has alway been the priority and grip feats have been second. This, among other excuses has left me with a large pile of almost...but did not get it done feats in grip. Below is a list of accoplishments that I have been very close to, or feel that I should be able to do in the order that I most likely will be able to do them.

Almost/Need to do feats:

1) Bend the RED nail (10-21-04)

-Have bent numerous Grade 8s and 6" 1/4" square stock from FBBC (Current)

2) Closing a #3 (05-04).

-Have closed SM and HG300 and been 1/16" from #3 back in May '04

3) 50 lb Blob.

-Broke a 45 Blob of the ground each hand but never to full deadlift 07-04.

4) One arm pull-up

-My best performace was a OAP from about 110 degree bend in arm to chin above bar done several years ago. I have done them from 90 degrees or less more recently.

I have not been climbing or gripping (except for bending) for about a month due to a ligament injury to my right middle finger. The injury is now almost totally healed. Now I have decided to finally GET IT DONE with these feats and let climbing take a back seat for a good while. This week will be an re-introduction to each workout (except bending which I have been doing recently) to see where I am at. Weekly work outs will be as follows and will be modified as things progress.

Sunday - Grippers

Monday - Blobs/Pinch and Pull ups

Tuesday - Sledge

Wednesday - Grippers

Thursday - Blobs/Pinch and Pull ups

Fridy - Bending

Workouts will be detailed the day after execusion with intensity and volume increasing over an 8 week period. Ather the eight week I will rest several days and perform max efforts on my goals. With tthe results of the goals I will continue a similar and routine for 12 weeks going for even greater intensity and volume. Then max efforts after rest and then onto another cycle until all goals are met.

Sunday 10-24-04: Grippers (same for each hand unless otherwise noted)

Warm-up:

T = 1X3

#1 = 1

SA = 1x1

#2 = 1x1

HG250 = 1x1

Workout:

SM = 1x1

HG300 = 2x missed by 1/8"

#3 = 1xjust past parrallel

SM = 2x missed by hairs

Cool down:

HG250 1x1

#2 1xhold for time (not recorded).

Summary:

I closed the SM with not to much issue. However I did not have enough in the tank to repeat the SM close after attempting harder grippers. I would like to be closing the HG300 in two weeks time.

Edited by denver