Different Pieces Of Grip Equipment

Rick Walker

I was training tonight and I wondered why no one ever mentions other pieces of equipment on this board. Specifically:

- Hub

- Claw curl

- Eagle Loops

- Outer Limit Loops

- Pinch block

- R Ring

Who uses this stuff? Why do you use it? Why dont you? Do these pieces of equipment have a place in a well rounded hand strengthening program?

Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks-

Rick Walker :rock

I have the hub, does not feel like a real hublift with a plate and do not use it much.

The R ring I like as onehanded lifts are my favorite.

Eagle loops I use rarely, and keep meaning to try some onehanded lifts with them.

Pinch block I do not like, much and prefer to use wood of the same size.

Of all of these I use the R ring the most.

Thickbar is preferred to any of the above.

I have a hub but rarely use it. I use my Eagle Loops for chin ups quite often as being able to rotate freely seems to really help with elbow soreness. I have homemade steel pinch blocks from 1/4" thru 5" - Just have regular flat black paint on them, not superslick but not rough. The thin pinches are the hardest for me if I don't "cock" the plate. I don't have a ring.

Edited by climber511

I have a homemade hub from Austin Slater, so I don't need IM's

The claw curl looks like it would be too similiar to a plate curl for me to spend any money on it

I have homemade pinch block so I don't want to shell out any dough to IM for their's

Outer limit loops: there are just too many other extensor exercises I can do without spending the money on these

Eagle loops: I'd like to get a pair eventually but their is a lot of other grip stuff I want first

R-ring: this is on the Christmas list but so are 400lbs of weights to go with it. The ring is cheap enough but buying the weights will kill you. I don't lift at home so all I have is 120lbs of weights for my HH. I'd have bought this thing a long time ago but I could never justify spending all the money on weights for it. Hopefully that will all change in late December :D Same thing with the V-bar, cheap to make but you have to have the weights to use it.

I think they're all great exercises. I use/used my HM 2.5 inch pinch block or hub the most of all these. The pinch block took me from 25's to 35's pretty quickly.

I have the hub, does not feel like a real hublift with a plate and do not use it much.

Can you explain this further? I did the 45s at GGC with ease by the hub-actually getting it a bunch of times with only my index, middle, and thumb. However, my best on this damn hub is only 36.25 pounds. So it is much harder then an actual hub IMO.

I used my eagle loops tonight that I got from Shrug. Worked up to 300 pounds deadlift with middle and index from each hand. Very painful-but it seems this type of training would carry over to other aspects of grip as you are working the fingers in the closed position.

I have all those things except the R ring.

It's nice to be able to have some variety when you get stale on one you can move on to another. Recently i've been doing finger curls with the eagle loops like Clay suggested on a recent post with diffrent fingers and especailly the pinky and ring with as heavy of a weight as i can handle.Good hit on the fingers.

I have an IM pinch bock and hub and use them fairly regularly, I like em.

I rotate them in and out and my pinch workouts. I think it's good to pinch on different surfaces - wood blocks, plates, etc. so the IM block is just another one. And I think the hub is good for finger strength, and is pretty natural movement.

Also have a little big horn, which I never use :( ...maybe I'll brush the rust off and have another go.

Variety is good.... I've come to the conclusion that I make better progress when I do a bit of everything rather than a lot of one thing.

Just a few days ago I ordered the hub, R-ring and Rolling Thunder from IronMind. I plan on using all the stuff regularly.

I like variety in my routine, and rotate all possible exercises on a weekly basis. I think there is just so much overlap when you do an extensive grip/wrist/forearm workout that your performance will improve in all aspects regardless of which specific exercises you happen to do in any one workout.

Like Jad, I also have some worries about running out of plates with the R-ring. I guess I'll just have to get more if and when that happens. :rolleyes

Rolle

I have the IM pinch block stuffed in my locker at work-gym. We don't have smooth-sided plates there, so there's no way to pinch plates. Now, I have no idea if the pinch block is a reasonable substitute, but I figure it's better than nothing at all. It's really nice to have some options at McGym.

I tried the Outer Limits Loops a couple of times but I think it's too big for my fingers.

I have two pinch blocks that can be used one or two handed. One is 4" thick that I also use for blob like ring and pinky pinch training, the other is an old piece of wood I got from a friend that's

2 1/2"thick X 7 1/2"wide X 15"long. The 2 1/2" one has two holes in the middle of it about 3" apart that I thread a steel cable with carabiner through so both ends are on the same side. this offset arrangement lets me put more stress on my thumbs or fingers as I choose by which way I hold it.

I also use eagle loops for chins and 1 & 2 finger hangs. I use a canvas lifting strap with loops in both ends - one for the weights, the other for individual finger curls and holds.

I feel these are great assets to my grip training.

- Hub.......Don't have one, but need one.

- Claw curl ....Don't have one, but need one

- Outer Limit Loops....Don't have one ,but need one

- Pinch block....Have used it a few time, its good.

- R Ring...Don't have one, but need one

Eagle Loops. I have a pair and they are awesome. I do 1 arm deadlifts with 1,2, 3, or 4 fingers with them. I do ,1,2,3,4 finger deadlifts using both arms, but using a different number of fingers. These are some of the most painful exercises ever, as well as chin ups. I would have to say that Deadlifts using the loops and bending make me feel the strongest, espically in the forearm, great stuff.

yeah i was looking to get a pair of eagle loops, do they just sit about half way down the finer or all the way to the bottom by the knuckles?

As I'm waiting for my R-ring to arrive, I've been forewarned that I'm in for some serious pain. :ohmy What kinds of precautions should I take when starting lifting with it? What kind of results can I expect from R-ring work - other than getting better at R-ring lifting? :tongue

Rolle

OldGuy,

Wasn't there a place you could recommend on getting lifting rings? I did a search on the 'net but didn't find anything worth while; I did check out Tom Black's site BTW.

OldGuy,

Wasn't there a place you could recommend on getting lifting rings?  I did a search on the 'net but didn't find anything worth while; I did check out Tom Black's site BTW.

Ironmind and Weightlifters Warehouse seem to be the cheapest

I have the IM Hub and the R-Ring Handle. The Hub is very slick and I've only done a bit over 25 pounds on it. The R-Ring Handle is awesome but I've stopped doing it except for very infrequent testing purposes. It took a lot out of my recovery that I couldn't justify at the time. Still can't. Besides, I have discovered that I can pull over 300 (@312 or so) almost any time I try it. Training or no training. I just can't seem to go over that. Even when I focused on it. Great tool though.

What can you pull with your R-Ring Handle, Rick?

I use to work the outerlimit loops alot now they are collecting dust they're just too awkward to use and it's too easy to cheat with them. I now prefer to do self resistence extention work or my towel extention idea.

The claw curl is great but I just find I don't work it at all anymore as I ifnd setting it up is a nusciance compared to grabbing a gripper.

Jon@han

Good question! I havent tried to hit a max weight with it yet. The most I have done is 300 for triples.

However, I went hevy with my eagle loops finally and managed this: 505

It was actually not a max effort and I think I am good for close to 600. Ultimately, I would like to see just how far I can push this lift, though I think there is a certain element of danger with it. Is 700 possible? How about 800? When will the skin tear and the fingers get severly injured?