Im New Pinch Block Vs. Plates

Rick Walker

I recently aquired an IM pinch block (the new, larger ones) from a grip board member. It is basically brand new. Maybe 1 scratch on the top of it, but still slick as hell.

For those of you that own the pinch block, or have used it, I was curious what your best pinch to date is on it in relationship to your best plate pinch. So far, without chalk or any other aids, I have a PR pinch of 50 pounds with the block. My best plate pinch is 2-35s with 2 fingers, and 2-35s with a 10 pounds chain through the holes with my entire hand.

I am trying to figure out some sort of ratio-if that is even possible, which it most likely isnt. :blink

I am especially interested in those of you who can pinch 2-45s. Whats you best on the big block???

I am certifying Big Steve on the 11th with the MM1 gripper. You can be sure him, and anyone he brings with him, will be trying their stuff on the pinch block.

Rick Walker :rock

I have piched 60 on the block and 75 with plates. So block is 80% of plates.

If you read what I wrote-I have done 2-35s with a 10 pounds chain = 80 pounds. And, I have only done 50 on the block.

Again-maybe there is no ratio....

There can't be a ratio. The plates we pinch are different widths for starters. Secondly, someone with larger hands may have an easier time with the 3" block than someone with smaller hands.

I read what you wrote. My ratio is 80%. Your ratio is 62.5. All very uninformative. There are no formulas for what you should do on one lift, based on another lift or what others can do. For example I have a huge 3'' thick handle dumbbell lift, but have only once broken a 50 Blob from the floor once. I am very good at the RT, but poor at pinching plates and hub lifts. :calm

There can't be a ratio. The plates we pinch are different widths for starters. Secondly, someone with larger hands may have an easier time with the 3" block than someone with smaller hands.

I agree. However, most 2 Olympic style plates together are 2.5" right? I have 20-45 pound plates and they differ by very, very little. They are also all makes from Yorks to TDS.

Texture does have a lot to do with it though. Some of my 45s are pretty smooth and some have grooves. However, the 45s used at GGC had small grooves and I think all the contestants will agree that the grooves did not make it any easier! :ohmy

As far as hand size goes...this is a tricky one. We are talking a max of 3" for any of the implements, and even a under 7" hand could still grasp a 3" block. After seeing Rob V. lift the 50-pound blob at GGC, I am starting to think hand size really doesnt mean anything when it comes to pinch.

Thoughts?

Anyone else use one of these pinch blocks?

Rick,

I've got both the old IM block and the new one and use both combined with plate pinching and there's a good difference between them.

Old narrow IM block, PR of 72.5 lbs.

New IM block, PR of 50 lbs. if I remember correctly (dont' use it all too often)

Plate pinching, PR of 35's with both hands, wide plates that are around 1/4" larger than average Oly plates I've used.

The narrow block would be way easy if it wasn't smooth as glass, but I suppose that's the fun of it. New block isn't much rougher, and the width puts a new twist on it and is way harder than pinching plates. However, most of the plates I pinch have no paint on them, so that obviously makes a difference.

Can't seem to find a correllation of ratios on this, but those are the stats for what I've done with these things!

VeGripper

My best with the IM block is 70lbs (mine is 3" wide, not sure if its new or old). I'm oh so close with the 45's (mine are cheap, black plates, 3 1/8" wide). I pretty sure since the widths are very close the only real difference is the slick-as-hell powder coating on the IM block.

I have the big block. Without including the device's weight, using the large loading pin, I have done 55 of plates on it. On a good day, I can get a pair of York 35's a foot off the ground. A month of practice on the block will increase the poundages on it significantly; it wouldn't surprise me if 10 lbs happened in that time period for you.

Hubgeezer

The big problem with the IM Block is the slippery surface.

My best on a clean block is 60lbs after a long long hot bath.

Usually I don't get more than 50lbs on it.

My best on the same block uncleaned is 73lbs about 1/2 year ago. I got this (reproducible) result after having trained with the block each day for about 1 month or so and the surface totally lost its slippery nature.

Then I cleaned it. :trout

My best in plate pinching is 83lbs using two plates and a pipe with extra weights.

Indeed plate pinch and IM block aren't comparable.

The big problem with the IM Block is the slippery surface.

My best on a clean block is 60lbs after a long long hot bath.

Usually I don't get more than 50lbs on it.

My best on the same block uncleaned is 73lbs about 1/2 year ago. I got this (reproducible) result after having trained with the block each day for about 1 month or so and the surface totally lost its slippery nature.

Then I cleaned it.  :trout

My best in plate pinching is 83lbs using two plates and a pipe with extra weights.

Indeed plate pinch and IM block aren't comparable.

Franky-

What do you mean uncleaned? Was it covered in chalk? I only ask because I dont use chalk on it (I dont think it helps any) and the more I use it, the slipperier it gets. After a few uses, if I look at the block closely, I can see grease marks from my fingers. This makes it much harder. So, I wipe the block clean with a dry towel. I seem to get 5 more pounds with a clean block.

I like the block because I can train with high volume and not worry about destroying my webbing on sharp plates. Also, it seems like I work my thumbs better with the block-I really dig into it with my thumbs and fingers.

I am going to use it and stay away from plates as long as I can. When I get to 70-pounds, I will test on plates and see where I am.

I get the best grip on the new IM pinch block if I first chalk my hands and the spit(spelling?) in my hands...

Edited by Griparn

Rick:

I chalked up my hands before each attempt and after some days the block got some friction like hell. (Even if I wiped the block from time to time with a towel, but I never used any chemicals to clean it).

It felt like a wooden surface.

There are several things you can do to get a better grip on a clean block:

1. Clean you hands with alcohol before the attempt. That really helps a lot.

(eg Cleaning Sheets for glasses work very well)

or

a slight humidity seems to work better, therefore:

either breathe into your hands as if you want to warm them up in winter or try that spitting thing into the chalked hand, I'm using it on the vertical bar, never thought of it for the Pinch Grip Block.

I recently aquired an IM pinch block (the new, larger ones) from a grip board member.  It is basically brand new.  Maybe 1 scratch on the top of it, but still slick as hell.

For those of you that own the pinch block, or have used it, I was curious what your best pinch to date is on it in relationship to your best plate pinch.  So far, without chalk or any other aids, I have a PR pinch of 50 pounds with the block.  My best plate pinch is 2-35s with 2 fingers, and 2-35s with a 10 pounds chain through the holes with my entire hand.

Hey Rick, glad you're enjoying the block. As you saw by the condition I sent it in, I wasn't getting much use out of it. :blush

Chris

I guess I am trying to keep the block as slippery as I can in order to force me to squeeze harder. David Horne once told me to pinch plates while wearing work gloves-suddenly, even 2-25s becomes a chore!

I would rather work with the slippery block, and develope the strength neccesary to hold onto it, then try and find ways to make it easier. I am thinking if I can haul up 70 pounds on this thing, without anything on my hands, and with the block slippery, I should be able to lift 2-45s with chalk and a rough surface.

Just a thought. Thanks for the ideas.

I get the best grip on the new IM pinch block if I first chalk my hands and the spit(spelling?) in my hands...

Similar to what I do with the blocks. Chalk up, dab fingers on a sweaty forearm (since I always toss it in at the end of training) and I find that it makes the surface feel tackier and I can get a few extra lbs. out of the pinch. Plain chalking it doesn't help for crap and only makes it harder, but add a little moisture into the mix and it sure seems to help.

I would rather work with the slippery block, and develope the strength neccesary to hold onto it, then try and find ways to make it easier.

I totally agree with you Rick!

Edited by gerryg

I am thinking if I can haul up 70 pounds on this thing, without anything on my hands, and with the block slippery, I should be able to lift 2-45s with chalk and a rough surface.

Just a thought.  Thanks for the ideas.

IMO, that'll depend on the plates you're pinching Rick, but I think you're pretty damn close.

Most of my 45s, if not all of them, are around 2.5 inches in width when 2 are stacked together.

I have a pair that has a good texture on them that I have broke free from the earth's gravity many, many times but have yet to lock them out.

All though I would love to get 2-45s, that isnt the goal of the pinch block for me. I love the way it allows me to focus and drive my fingers and thumbs into it-I just feel like I am getting a better workout. Also, with plates I can tip them a little into my fingers, making the pinch easier. I cant do this with the block.

This topic is killing me!Here I am trying not to spend anymore money on grip toys and now I have a huge interest in the IM pinch block!I feel my credit card slowly coming out of my wallet! :whacked

This topic is killing me!Here I am trying not to spend anymore money on grip toys and now I have a huge interest in the IM pinch block!I feel my credit card slowly coming out of my wallet! :whacked

I think the Tetting block is exactly the same in feel, at least it looks the same, but it is cheaper.

You can get it from http://www.wwfitness.com

Yesterday was a bad day on the block! It was real slick, no matter how much I wiped it down. I did singles with 40 pounds...tough.

the tetting block isnt quite as slick as the IM block. I have both.

Could you maybe coat it in some paint to make it slick?

Im not sure but I would guess you could. The tetting block is only slightly less slick. I think I hit 66 on the tetting and 50 on the IM block so about a 15 pound difference. Ill try to get a few of us to take some attempts on both to see the difference.