Counting Down The Pushups

ishred

starting my pushup countdown with todays workout.

start ....180,000 pushups

10/6

+50 pushups (todays total=180,050)

set #1

40 pushups, fingers facing out

set #2

27 pushups, pyramid style (1 pushup, rest, 2 pushups, rest, 3 pushups, etc(note: rest is the amount of time it takes to do the prior amount of pushups))

wow these were tough, but fun.

set #3

30 noraml pushups

more coming later. (maybe i should update at nite when i finish the days pushups)

also doing situps and hindu squats, but no need to log those.

also started to do no set closes with my grippers. A little harder for me since have smaller hands, but well worth the effort.

trainer 5 reps, no set each hand

couldn't find my #1 so went to #2.

did a few good single attempts with each hand. about 1/2" or so with each hand no set.

did #3 just to make #2 feel easy.....for some reason my left hand seems stronger for no set closes. got the #3 down further with the left.

See you tried "the ladder" (remembered - that's what pavel calls 'em)... ? :cool

So you finished on 27 reps, or was that the total? If you finished on 27 reps, you actually did 378 reps total!

And if you would have done a couple of ladders, you would have gotten a lot more :D

Neat, isn't it? It's part of something Pavel calls "greasing the goose", which is basically making the body efficiant at doing a certain movement and thus building endurance and strength in part by neurological efficiency. I'm going to start using it on deadhangs with one hand, to get me in gear for when I start climbing, but then I won't use reps but seconds instead.

Edited by nagual

Billy,

It's weird how the hands will do that, I take it you are right handed so that normally your right hand is superior. Here's my theory why in this case your left hand is doing better at the moment:

Being righthanded you have more cooridination in that hand so it got really good at set closes, meanwhile your left hand tried to keep up with brute force. Now that you are focusing on no sets your right hands skill is not a factor yet. A little more practice and it should catch up.

My hands take turns being the stronger all the time, one of my favourite topics!

Jon@han

I do something that I call Walking Sets. But I start on the high side and work down. If I start at 15 reps, walk across the room - which takes about 3-4 seconds - drop and do 14, walk back across the room, drop and do 13, ect, ect, down to 1 rep, thats 120 reps. And that's one walking set. You can then rest a few minutes and start over. You can do as many as you like each workout or everyday for that matter.

I use them mostly for Barbell-curls and Hammer-curls along with the cards and other types of routines I have came up with over the years.

Sixgun...

nagual.....it was 27 total reps. it was killer. i did that after i did the 40 pushups. I'll probably do the ladder thing twice a day. its fun. But i'm not just looking for total #, i'm gonna mix up the different types of pushups....wide, fingers out, diamond, hindu, etc.

Sixgun, great idea, i'm gonna try that tonight. sounds like fun.

Jonathan, that theory makes sense to me. I'm enjoying doing the no sets. It seems like it will be more impressive when i can close a #2 with a no set. When i hand the grippers to someone who never seen them, they instinctively try to close it with one hand. So if i could do it like that, they will be more impressed....Also its better for hand strength.

Naqual, I noticed in your post you mentioned "greasing the goose." I was arrested for doing that in Russia. Be careful buddy. :D But seriously...Ishred, good to see you've started the gripper training again. Good luck on the #2 no set close. You're right, I think most lay people are much more impressed with it than the set close.

Uh, Naqual, that's "greasing the groove" java script:emoticon(':D')and it actually refers to doing about 50% of your 1RM (the most reps you can do in one set) in sets spread throughout the day. For example, if your one set max reps in chins is 15, do sets of 5-7 reps spread out throughout the day. You probably know this, but for those who don't... "Do as much quality work as possible while being as fresh as possible" - Prof. V. Zatsiorsky, quoted in Pavel's "The Naked Warrior"

Uh, Naqual, that's "greasing the groove" java script:emoticon(':D')and it actually refers to doing about 50% of your 1RM (the most reps you can do in one set) in sets spread throughout the day. For example, if your one set max reps in chins is 15, do sets of 5-7 reps spread out throughout the day.  You probably know this, but for those who don't... "Do as much quality work as possible while being as fresh as possible" - Prof. V. Zatsiorsky, quoted in  Pavel's "The Naked Warrior"

Haha, yes you are right. I used that slight modification when me and a friend were making up names for different routines. We came up with a few interesting ones. :D

But from what I've read "greasing the groove" is not a specific method just a principle that the more you do something, the better you get. You gave one example of that.

The ladder is another excellent way for upping the volume and avoiding burning out the cns, to achieve as neurological efficiency.

I haven't read "the naked Warrior", but I do have "Power for the People".

Naqual, I noticed in your post you mentioned "greasing the goose."  I was arrested for doing that in Russia.  Be careful buddy. :D  But seriously...Ishred, good to see you've started the gripper training again.  Good luck on the #2 no set close.  You're right, I think most lay people are much more impressed with it than the set close.

I'm sure you are quite familiar with all the barnyard animals.

:whistel

10/7

soreness in my chest. yey...its working.

my lower back (or my hip) has been bothering me alot lately, so i have not been able to do 10 sets like planned. so i've been doing a few sets throughout the day. I'll work up in volume as i feel better.

(btw, i add 50 pushups to the total i owe everyday)

Set #1

55 pushups (dropsets recommended by sixgun). started at 10 and worked my way down. lots of fun. hard too.

Set #2

37 diamond pushups

Set #3

18 hindu pushups

keep up the work billy! I think the pushups will help you a great deal once you get the double overhand down pat. Train hard man!

10/9

100 hindu pushups for the day. man those things are rough, but fun.

soreness prevent me for doing more of other pushups.

I'll have a total tomorrow.

thanks kurt, i don't think upper body strength is my problem, i think its just the movement it self. I need someone to really show me and critique me. DO seems really unnatural for me.

You know, I think I missed why you are doing these, but the more I think about it, I think it's a great idea. I think you're going to end up with an enormous amount of strength in your pec's, front shoulders, triceps and who knows where else. Nice log. Nice training.

Sixgun...