Super Novice Grip Workout

lane

Ok,  I am still trying to put together a productive routine.  My goals are still ambigous at this point.  I would like to one hand deadlift my weight from a 2 3/8 dumbell.   I would like to close the #2 and I think that is possible shortly but who knows, it sounds like the last 1/8 is the hardest.  Here is my last grip workout.  I apolgize in advance for the miniscule poundages being moved.  

One handed dumbell deadlifts.   2 3/8" bar.  

All sets are for both hands

85 lbs x 5

105 lbs x 3,2,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,1  

Pinch grip 2 inch wood hold each hand

20 lbs til failure

30 lbs til failure

35 lbs til failure

Weighted pull-ups

15 singles or doubles x approx. 28-32 lbs (my 4 year girl holds on to my back and yells encouragment - this is my "Milo" exercise)  

Grippers #1 5 singles each hand

#2 5 negatives each hand

3 inch barbell hold to failure (this is an embarassing amount of weight!)  - 55lbs  

One handed pickups of different sizes / shaped rocks - I need to weigh these I guess...  

thoughts -  I do this once a week, I would like to create a second workout per week with different exercises.  Maybe I will move the grippers to their own day and up the volume.   Maybe include more wrist work on the 2nd day as well.  I feel strong on the pull-ups and that's about it.  Right now on the one handed deads, my grip is the limiting factor for sure.  

Any thoughts?  

thanks,

lane

(Edited by lane at 11:57 am on Mar. 8, 2001)

This may sound silly but it helped me close the #2.  Make sure you heat your hands before gripper work and after use some ice on them, I bet you'll notice the diffrence soon.

If you add a second workout SQUAT.  SQUATING, and DEADLIFTS are the best way to crank up your bodys testosterone levals, which will make you stronger all over.  Also your gripper volume per workout seems fine but you could probably add a few sets on this second day.

Also pick one goal if the #2 is more important at this time(or closer to attain), focus on it first in your workout and then once you can do it make your next goal your focus.  

And remember the amount of weight is never as important as progress made.  Good Luck on the 2!

Looks good to me.  The fact that you own, or have access to, a 3-inch barbell is fantastic.  Add the second workout, but watch the volume.  If you don’t continue to get stronger every workout, or within a couple of weeks, reduce the volume and see what develops (just a little strength gain per week is fine, be patient).  

Keep feeding the girl and lifting her regularly, when she's 18 you'll be as strong as Milo!

I am going to do a gripper only workout on Thursdays so here is the Sunday workout update.  Thanks Tom and Cap for the comments.   The 3" inch bar just feels huge in my hands.  It makes the 2 3/8" feels small.  I will give the hot water soaking a try to see how it feels.  

One handed dumbell deadlifts.   2 3/8" bar.  This is a very smooth galvenized steel bar with another 2" bar inside.  It revolves a lot..    

105 lbs x 2,2

110 lbs x 2 (only 1 for left hand),1

105 lbs X 2,1,1,1,1,1  

20 lbs til failure

35 lbs til failure

45 lbs til failure

Weighted pull-ups

15 Milos (see above)  

3 inch barbell hold to failure 2 sets

65 lbs

It was raining outside so I skipped the rock pinch lifts and instead did

plier hammer curls with a 40lbs bag of salt for a softwater system.  These bags have a really heavy duty plastic handle.  I alternated hands for about 6-7 reps each arm.  My form was terrible.  

I then did two finger holds on the bags for as long as possible.  

I am still trying to figure out appropriate poundages.  I think progress on the one handed deads will be slow.  I am pretty sure I can jump up on the 2" pinches next week by 10lbs.  I read Mastery of Hand strength this morning.   Mr. Brookfield suggests (at least to me) a lot of dynamic training.   Gives me something to think about.  I think I will stay with the static training for a couple of months until I can build some base hand strength and then phase in some dynamic movements.  

Good luck,

lane  

03/15/01

Thursday night gripper workout.  

Warmed my hands in hot water.  

2 closes each hand with #1.  Light closes

2 positives attemps each hand with #2

3 Negitives each hand with #2

6 closes each hand with #1.  Overcrushed them, basically rammed the handles together and held for as long as I could.  

It's only been a couple of weeks of grip training, but I am coming to the realization that this is a long hard road.  A marathon instead of a sprint.   I am going to try some strap holds next week with the #1.  Start off really light, maybe 2.5lbs...   I can toy with the #1, but the #2 is still a ways away.  I wanted to close it by my birthday next week, but that does not appear to be reality.  Very humbling.  I know this has been discussed but closing the grippers with your left hand feels harder than your right.  I am left handed and 'feel' stronger with my left but I wonder how much of that is because my left is more coordinated and gripping things is more comfortable.  If I was right handed and didn't have that level of cordination I don't think I could close the #1 with my left.   I am really looking forward to Sundays one handed deadlifts.  

Have a great weekend everyone,

lane

Howdy all,

Perfect day here in Scottsdale Az.  Did my sunday grip workout a day early.  Here are the results

1 one hand deadlift  2 3/8" dumbell

All reps for each hand unless otherwise noted.

105 x 1

115 X 1

115 X 2 (only got one with the left, db rolled right out)

115 X 2

115 X 2

115 X 1

105 X 1,1,1,1

3" Barbell hold  X 65.  

15 milo pullups (see above)

2" pinch holds X 35, 45, 47.5  

A bunch of hangs from a pull up bar.  Two hands, one hand, 1 finger one hand + other hand etc. etc.  

My spring allergies are kicking in and I felt a little low on energy.   The thick handled deads felt pretty good.  I am happy with the progress.   I will probably do a gripper only workout on  Wendsday.

Happy St Patricks Day,

lane

Wendsday night gripper fun / 31st Birthday

Grippers #1 2 singles each hand

#2 5 positive attempts each hand...  

Best result - 3rd try right hand 1/4" (maybe an 1/8" but I want to be conservative)  

#1 3 singles each hand

I was going to do strap hold this week, but had to travel for work and just brought the grippers with me.   I had thought that I could close the #2 by my birthday, but alas!  I really focused and gave it all that I had.  The first part of the close is so easy it doesn't even feel like there is much resistiance and then it's like hitting a brick wall.  I can hold it at it's closest point for 10+ seconds, but it doesn't want to close.    I will get it, it's just a matter of time.   I am really looking forward to the one handed deads this weekend.  I am inspired by the tales of challenge dumbells, inch replicas and of big rolling thunder lifts.   This will be my forth workout of mostly singles and doubles.  I will stay with my set/ rep scheme as long as there is progress.  RogerS posted that 20lbs of progress in the first month is possible/expected, so I will load up 125 and give it a go.   Just for comparisions - I am about 6 foot tall and 170-175 lbs.  60 hour a week desk job.  about 8" hands from the edge of the palm to the tip of my middle finger.  In my fourth week of planned grip work.   I have had the grippers for, I think, six weeks.  

Have a great weekend everyone!  

lane

One handed dumbell deadlifts.   2 3/8" bar.  

105 lbs x 1

125 x 1 (right hand only)

125 x 0

115 lbs x 1,1,1,1,1,1

105 x 3    

35 lbs til failure

45 lbs til failure

50 lbs til failure X 2

Weighted pull-ups

15 singles or doubles x 36 lbs (Milo got weighed)  I am going to start adding more weight next week.  

That's it.  I kept it short as I had to do a ton of yardwork.  I also took some wire cutters and cut different pieces of wire for a while.    Something is just wiping me out with my allergies.  Was very hard to get up for working out today.  I was happy with 125 on the ohd.  130 next week!   I am also going to start hanging additional weight for the pull ups.  

good luck to everyone,

lane

Gripper workout - starting to get a little frustrated.  The #2 should go down easier.  I must have a "hard" #2. :-)

3 singles each hand with #1

2 solid positive attempts at the #2.  1/4" from close.  

3 more negitives with #2

Shoelace straphold with #1

As many singles as I could with the one until I couldn't close it.  Maybe 10 more a hand?

I have been thinking about gripper volume and I don't think 1x week is going to do it for me.   I am going to go to 2x week for a month and see if there is progress.  I am also concerned about the jump between my #1 and #2.  The #1 is easy.   I can close it at will at any time any day.   The #2 feels very stiff.  I can only imagine the #3.   As an analogy its like jumping from benching 135 easily to throwing 225 on the bar and not being able to get it.    So the plan is continued strap holds with the #1 and increase workouts to 2x week.  

Sunday - 130 is going up for the ohd and 15 milo pullups + 10lbs (46lbs)!

- lane

ugh.  two steps forward one back.  I don't know what is going on with my allergies, but it is very hard to get up for a workout when you can't breathe.  I almost blew it off today.

Here are the results

ohd 2 3/8"  

105x1

115x1

125x1 (0 for the left hand)

130x0

115x1

115x 1 (0 for the left hand)

105 x3,1,1,1

15 milo pullups no added weight

2" pinch grip 45,50,55

one handed hangs from pullup bar as long as possible

farmers walk 40 lbs each hand - down the block and back

Pinch grip various rocks, found one that I could toss and catch with a pinch grip.  I've want to start to introduce dynamic work.

Some sort of weavers stick work I think.  I put a 5 lbs weight on a shovel handle and lifted it holding the end.  The weight was about 27" from the end.  I plan on moving it out next week.   You guys who can lever sledge hammers are awesome.  My wrists need work.  

And thats about it.   I plan on one more week of singles on the one hand deads, then I am going to drop back and do multiple reps and timed holds.  

have a great week,

lane

• 2 weeks later...

This week it is work that is trying to kill me not the assorted grasses, molds and pollens.  Here are the results

ohd 2 3/8"  

105x1

115x1

130x1 (0 for the left hand, left is lagging by 5lbs.  It is my dominate hand I think it gets a lot of work carrying kids.  I also though my left was stronger.. maybe it is just more coordinated giving the illusion of strength.)

135x0

105X1 held it for about 10 seconds each hand to see where I would be for next week.  

15  pullups w 35 lbs added weight  (ms. milo was asleep)

2" pinch grip 45,50,55.  I still had my 2x4 loaded from last week with 55lbs I tried to give it a go cold, but I couldn't crack it off the floor.  Had to do the lower weight sets first.  I thought I only went to 50 last week but looking at my previous post I went to 55.  So no real progress.  

one handed hangs from pullup bar as long as possible

Pull ups with different finger combinations.  3 from left + 2 right.  2l+2r, 1l+4r,  etc.  did about 15 more pullups in this fashion.  

weavers stick work lift  5 lbs weight 30" out.  both hands front and back.  As soon as I can wrap up my current project and spend more time at home, I want to try Gorilla Hands plate curl workout of everyday work and then a couple of days rest.  

I am very pleased with the 130lbs lift.   I think either last week or this, I found my max and now I can work on true progress.  Next week, lower the weight and do higher reps (5) and some timed holds.  Maybe some lightweight snatches.    I have been doing db snatches with a regular db and now that I have decent form I think I will move up to the thick handle and give it a go.  

have a great week,

lane

Ok,

The quest for the bodyweight 2 3/8" one handed deadlift continues.  6 weeks of singles made for some good progress.  I am shifting to 4 weeks of sets of 5 and then back to the singles.  

2 3/8" ohd 100 x 5,5

80 x 5,5 held the db as long as I could after the set maybe 10-12 sec?  I still need to get a clock for the garage with a second hand.  

10 milo pullups + 10lbs (46lbs total).  These are singles and doubles.  Need to work up to 15 with this weight.  Maybe next week.

Various hangs  and pull ups from bar

Weaver stick work.  front and back.  

Bouced a rubber playground ball and caught it with one hand repeatedly for about 10mins.  Really fatigued my thumb  right in time for

Pinch grips.  Tried to pinch 2 25lbs oly plates, but no go.  Pinched 45, 50 from 2".  Pinched 2 10's and 2 5' (30lbs) for a long time.   Tossed a 25 lbs plate back and forth between my hands catching it with a pinch grip for a while.  

and that's about it.   Since I started grip work my hands look and feel stronger.   My forearms are bigger and stronger.  And I am happy with my progress so far.  

Good luck to everyone in progress or attainment of thier goals this week.  

- lane  

Since you can close the COC # 1 but not the COC # 2, you might want to try a BeefBuilder Advanced gripper. It is roughly half way between a #1 and a #2 or you might think of it as a COC # 1.5.  BeefBuilder also offers a Master which is approximately a 2.5.

Keep up the hard work!

What's a 2.5?  What's between a 1 and 2?  It will likely be hit or miss if he gets one between the one's HE has. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,  I have aquired some sort of injury.  My right hand middle finger, middle knuckle doesn't feel quite right.  None of the surronded tendons seem sore.  It doesn't hurt when I lift things, only when rotational force is apply, like picking up a rapidly moving small child or snapping my fingers.   I have been using the grippers every other day trying to close the #2.   Got within 1/16" of an inch 3 or 4 times.  In lieu of the injury I am going to put the grippers away in a drawer and wait until I feel 100%.   the only grip work I did this weekend was the continued one handed 2 3/8" deads.  

100 x 5 each hand

110 x 5 right, 4 left

100 x 5 each hand.  

This week 2 of the sets of five.  I want to do this for six weeks and go back to singles.  

Hope everyone is having a great week,

- lane

Middle finger on right hand continues to feel... wrong.  I can't pinpoint how I hurt it or exactly what isn't right.  I am going to give one more week of "rest" before resuming my full grip routine.  

This last week the pants were getting tight so I have been running 30 minutes in the morning pretty much everyday.   I have also been trying to learn the oly lifts and get flexible enough to do an overhead sqaut.  So my legs are most likely a little overtrained right now.  

Combine that with the fact that I am trying to cut caffine and (or ECA) out of my diet (one week) and I am draggggggging.  

Here's how sunday's workout went.  

One handled dumbell deads,  2 3/8" rolling, smooth steel in a hot arizona garage.  

110 x 5

110 x 5 (3 left, supposedly dominate left hand continues to lag)

100 x 5

holds of 100 just off the ground for as long as I could, right hand, left hand, right hand etc.  until I couldn't break the ground.  

I don't really like the 5 rep scheme and feel that any higher reps would be a waste of time.  

One more week of this and then either back to the singles or maybe a pavel type grease the groove or PTP

Chins.  I have stayed away from the weighted chins and will re-incorporate them next sunday.  

But I did a ton of chins with every hand position I could think of.  Probably about 50 in all.   I don't think that this is necessarly a grip workout without the extra weight or a thicker bar.  

Well I hope everyone has a good week.  

thanks,

lane