Supplements

Jeff Parker

Because of all my recent injuries and sickeness, I have not been able to work out as much as I used to. I was not taking any supplements while out of the game, and when I got back in, I never started up again. Now, I am stronger than I have ever been, taking nothing but a multivitamin. Has anyone used supplements and then gone off them? Do you think you got weaker, stronger, or it didn't change?

After 30 years of working out and attempting to grow I think I have taken almost every kind of supplement that has been offered to the public.I wish I had my money back. Like you I have discovered that I feel much better if I stay away from supplements.If you eat right and lift hard and you can't grow you picked the wrong parents.The only supplements that REALLY work are steroids and thats not the path for me. Well theres my humble opinion.

There are supplements I sell and some I buy. I use them all. Ones I buyt for myself include a good one-a-day multivitamin and mineral. I also buy and use Glucosomine Sulphate. I'm currently trying out a freebie I was sent Humanovar.

What I sell and use (UK/EU only) is Whey Protein Concentrate, Creatine and Gaba. I also sell but do not use (plenty of Glutamic acid in my whey) L-Glutamine.

When I first took Creatine (well before I owned a company) I loaded it as suggested and added 7 pounds in 2 weeks. I was getting pains in my wrists etc and within a week of taking the Glucosomine the pain stopped. I stopped taking it and the pain returned ergo - it worked for me. With the WPC I take this regularly during the week and as required at the weekends. I find I can get away with being loose on my diet if I am supplementing and it takes about 10 seconds to prepare. If I have been out late and get in starving hungry I have what equates to a meal in no time.

However, supplements are not drugs and do not work in the same way. From asking my customers and being a member of a bunch of forums where suppelements are discussed I have found the following:

1) people do not have their normal diet right and then bitch about some supplement or other 'not working'.

2) Creatine: the same damn questions get asked, reasked and asked again and yet evwen with huge reams of info people still don't dissolve it, or take it right or use enough water and more. When you have plums like Greg Valentino talking of using 40grams a day and tipping it in his mouth then shitting 'creatine bombs' is it any wonder!!

3) Food comes first - supplements are called what they are cos they 'supplement' food - not replace it.

4) I only use and sell what I think of as solid supplements. I have tested a bunch and found them to be a complete waste of time including but not limited to the following: NO2 (IMO shite), Boron (even worse), Dibenozide (sp), Inosine (worked once only probably placebo effect), any Creatine 'serum' like product (major rip off - the biggest company that produces this has been fined again and again - recently $70,000) and more.

I love the slang, Mobster:D I can't wait to call someone a plum next time they do something stupid.

When I ran out of protein I found my capacity for exercise went down until I got back on it. When I first started taking it I could work harder for longer and recover quicker. When I went off I tried the same volume and intensity and was sore for much longer periods of time.

Hmm.

I used to be on creatine...which had absolutely no effect on me. But, whey protein worked miracles. I stopped taking supplements a long time ago though...because I stopped powerlifting.

What I am curious about is whether you guys thing whey protein is a good supplement if the only excersize I am doing is grip work? I am not sure whether it is necessary (If I already get enough protein from my normal food), and that is why I am not taking it.

S.C.

I take 100% whey protein isolate with water 1st thing in the morning, 45 minutes before workouts, and immediately after workouts with some raisins for carbs. This has made a big difference in my work capacity, strength increases and speed of recovery. Beyond that I take B-Complex, Zinc,Sodium Ascorbate, Chromium Picolinate, Calcium, Magnesium, vitamin A & E and extra Magnesium and Folic Acid an hour before sleep which I find really helps me relax. I've tried heaps of different supplements over the years; these are the keepers in my book. But, like they say on the packaging - supplements will only help if you are deficient in those nutrients, which varies from person to person.