Gripboard Grip Bash Vll Rules

EricMilfeld

Hmm, since there is the V-bar event I should really compete even if I'll get my butt kicked in the wrist curl event.

However:

Since I have not access to the 25lbs plates:

Is it ok to use 10kg plates and add some weights on the lower sides so thats

about 22.7 in total.

Using a pipe is obviously not allowed. So is taping ok?

Edited by FrankyBoy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• sigmfsk

• OldGuy

• Mikael Siversson

Since I have not access to the 25lbs plates:

Is it ok to use 10kg plates and add some weights on the lower sides so thats

about 22.7 in total.

Using a pipe is obviously not allowed. So is taping ok?

Another contestant posed the same question. Tape would be fine, as would running a rope through the plate's holes to hold the additional weight.

And thanks for competing!

I'm in. I'm glad to see the v-bar made it. Thanks Eric for putting this on.

I'm in. Got to get a Vbar made up.

Sorry, doubled.

Edited by John Beatty

I think I may just stay with my short v-bar so I have a good excuse when I'm outlifted.

A shorter bar may actually increase the poundage. It is easier for me to lift a heavy weight on a 24'' v-bar if I grab it lower down than allowed by the rules.

A shorter bar may actually increase the poundage. It is easier for me to lift a heavy weight on a 24'' v-bar if I grab it lower down than allowed by the rules.

That makes sense, of course. With a shorter bar it is easier to apply more (even if only fractionally) sideways pressure with the wrists, which decreases the downward pull through the hand.

I think I may just stay with my short v-bar so I have a good excuse when I'm outlifted.

If you grab the LGC bar lower you take an advantage since the bar is braced against your forearm.

That definately eases the lift. Its not much buts its measurable.

I'm not sure if its easier if the bar itself is shorter.

Frank,

I was assuming an unbraced bar - ie. in accordance with the rules.

At home I have a self-made pinch block, approx 12"x8"x3", with holes drilled so that you can pinch both across the 8" edge and the 12" edge (if you see what I mean - of course, both are 3" across). More weight can be handled pinching across the 12" edge as the weight is closer to the hand - it is easier to apply wrist pressure which means that the block is not merely pulling straight down.

I believe David Horne has made some mention in the past that a factor in his great pinch is his ability to use his enormous (some would say unparalleled) wrist strength on the apparatus.

We are not talking a massive amount of difference here with the V-Bar, but it might be the difference between making 100kg or 99kg.

This is a mix of theory and a little pratical experimentation, so please take it in that light!

Absolutely true.

Actually I wanted to reply to Mikaels post only but I just hit the wrong button. :blush

Frank,

I was assuming an unbraced bar - ie. in accordance with the rules.

At home I have a self-made pinch block, approx 12"x8"x3", with holes drilled so that you can pinch both across the 8" edge and the 12" edge (if you see what I mean - of course, both are 3" across). More weight can be handled pinching across the 12" edge as the weight is closer to the hand - it is easier to apply wrist pressure which means that the block is not merely pulling straight down.

I believe David Horne has made some mention in the past that a factor in his great pinch is his ability to use his enormous (some would say unparalleled) wrist strength on the apparatus.

We are not talking a massive amount of difference here with the V-Bar, but it might be the difference between making 100kg or 99kg.

This is a mix of theory and a little pratical experimentation, so please take it in that light!

Ya'll have raised some good points. But there's only one way to find out. I think I'll go buy the 24" length.

This question is mainly theoretical, but I'm still learning about plate pinching, and have just gotten to the point that I can hold the plates for any amount of time whatsoever.

When I pinch the plates and pick up, I seem to naturally tilt the plates so that the thumb side is starting to face up. Maybe a 15 degree angle from vertical. I presume this is legal, and maybe even desirable for longer holds.

At what point would the angle become illegal? For example, if you picked up, then rotated 180 degrees, the weights would be resting against the palm of the hand.

I certainly don't have the wrist strength to do this standing still, but I can envision swinging the weights up and down a bit, then on the upstroke, doing a dive, running underneath them, them pressing them up while rotating, and not violating any of the rules (other than the definition of "pinching the weights").

Thinking outside the box...

Maybe I could get a set of plates into the skydiving booth...

Tilting of the plates allows more weight to be lifted for most people. Impossible to regulate against I would say. It is less of an issue with larger diametre plates. I lift more if I tilt the plates but only to a certain point. I tried to copy David Horne's style but found that it did not work for me. Obviously, it becomes progressively harder to tilt the plates as your thumbs get stronger and the weights go up.

Good point Mikael; once the plates progress to 45 size, there's probably not much of a tilt angle at all. Can you describe David Horne's style? The only experimentation I've done is the tilting and positioning of the thumb (straight vs. all crooked back).

A change yes, but come on Eric, we do four lifts max out in just 1 workout! 

Do I understand correctly that the events just need to be completed sometime during the week allowed (not necessarily in the same workout or same day), such as: day 1: v-bar left; day 2: v-bar right; day 3: pinch left, etc.

On a side note, just did my first v-bar. I think all the skin has departed my hand; man that smarts! But got bodyweight. Now only if I weighed 300 pounds...

A change yes, but come on Eric, we do four lifts max out in just 1 workout! 

Do I understand correctly that the events just need to be completed sometime during the week allowed (not necessarily in the same workout or same day), such as: day 1: v-bar left; day 2: v-bar right; day 3: pinch left, etc.

On a side note, just did my first v-bar. I think all the skin has departed my hand; man that smarts! But got bodyweight. Now only if I weighed 300 pounds...

Provided the lifts are completed within the one week time frame, you may contest them at anytime and in any order you prefer. You are also free to take as many attempts as you wish.

Here's a little update. I tried out a 24" v-bar and have come to the conclusion if it does provide a leverage advantage relative to the 18" length, it's too small for me to notice. After training the event hard the day prior, I was able to come within 5 lbs. of my PR using the longer length. I'll continue my training with the standard length and compete with it as well.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys ready?!!!

It starts in two days...

Ready!

Weak, but ready. :D

Had a trial go at v-bar this weekend using a 1" loading pin with a slick-ish paint job. Only managed 80kg right and 70kg left, and while I'll probably get more next time, this seems pretty bad in comparison to Mikael's top 50 list.

I think I'm going to have to make a bar with raw metal and see how much difference the paint is making... or take to the loading pin with sandpaper :)

What's everyone else using for the v-bar?

mcham,

Get a 1"pipe cut it to 24"with one end threaded,then get a flange that fits the bottom.Took me about five minutes to make after i got the material.

Went away this weekend, and ran out of time to make a v-bar... so I sanded the paint on my loading pin, just a little, enough to take the sheen off it, and it made a huge difference. Managed 108kgs left and 113kgs right... taking the shine off the paint allowed the chalk to sink in and was able to grip the bar properly, and get that "my skin may come off" feeling. Problem now is I ran out of room to add weight, but I think I was pretty close to my limit anyway :) I now like this lift a lot more... I'd only done it on slick bars before... lots more fun this way... I think I'll make it more of a regular part of my training.

That's the trouble with my galvanized pipe - super slippery. And unless your hands have just the right amount of moisture, chalk only serves to make it more slippery. I'm thinking about getting a better bar tomorrow. My results are just way too touch and go, and can vary by as much as 70 pounds per hand!

From the way Mikael talks about chalking up the LGC v-bars, I think the surface needs to be just porous enough to let the chalk really sink in... I sanded the loading pin so little I thought it would make no difference, but as soon as I chalked it up, it was totally different. It also seemed like I couldn't have too much chalk on my hands, which is certainly not the case with a painted surface normally.... damn I have sore fingers now though, the skin is bright red :D