New #3

austinslater

I just ordered a new #3 and this thing is a beast. By far the hardest #3 ive tried to day. Its right at 3" wide and the sweep is huge. I would say about a 3.5 and harder then both the mm1 and mm2 replicas. Morgans hard #3 is similar as well. Has anyone else gotten a #3 lately and what was it like? I hope this is how things will be in the future and love this gripper. If anyone is after a hard #3 order a new one!

Austin

Are #3's usually wider than #1's and #2's? Because I got a new #3 earlier this year and it's a full half inch wider at the base. I think it's a beast, but then, I have never tried any others, so I have no comparrison. Just ordered a HG250 tho, so maybe that will give me some relativity.

3.5....WOW! I realize you're bound to get some variance with grippers but goooood night. I traded my brother my 2002 #3 for his 2004 #3 with the engravings. The 2004 #3 I have is definetly harder than my old 02 #3 but it's no 3.5 and definetly not as hard as my MM replicas. When I worked out with both #3's and I would start missing the 04 by around 1/8 I'd drop down to the 02 #3 and I'd still have 4-5 closes left in me. I'll have to measure the spread when I get home but if I remember right my 02 was actually a little wider(almost 3 inches) but the 04 was mounted a little deeper.

My newest #3 is a beast too, harder than the MM1 for sure.

How do the new #2 and #4 feel?

I bought a #2 for a friend. The Gripper has a dark silver spring and not a black and it feels average. Are all new springs silver coloured? What's with the new #4s?

Im sure the 3.5 will drop somewhat as it seasons. The spring binds up pretty bad so that and a little oil will help with the sweep. This thing will still be the toughest 3 ive ever tried though. Great gripper for sure. All the new springs on mine are a gray color as well and not the black springs that I have on all my other coc's. They look great.

Austin

So are grey springs a new feature? I assumed when you said new you meant the ones with the engravings on the rings.

Im not sure to be honest. The springs do look different then in the past for sure. I like the looks of the spring though, not that it matters but it looks better. :tongue

I just got a brand new 3 from the contest as well. It isn't that tough I think. I mean, it's strong, but the sweep isn't that bad. It is spread right at 2 3/4" and the sweep is smooth.

I got a new #3 earlier this year and it sounds about like the one you have Clay. 2.75" and alittle above average and this new one isnt even close. Maybe I got an oddball who knows.

Austin

My new #3 is very tough as well. It has a 3" spread and a monstrous sweep, but still smooth. I can get the handles a little past parallel on a good day. I'm going to work on finishing with my Bb Super Master before I close in on the #3.

Austin, mine is very hard. Definitely in the 3.3 range, closing in on the MM2 I'd say. Far harder than any other 3 I have tried.

Austin,

just got a NEW #3 for the cut #3 work we talked about and it is a beast! :cry it makes me feel all scared inside and hurts me where my feelings live :tongue I tried it in comparison to the #3 I ordered back in March and it is quite a bit harder. I tried it during my warm up and where I usuall fall somewhere in the 3/8"-2/8" from close on my old #3 I was 3/4" with my new bad boy.

-SMP

I have a 2004 #2. It's well above my #1, I mean alot more than the intended gap should be. And I'd rate my #1 as average or slightly tougher. I have a PDA 295 which is supposed to be a 3.1 but it's been sounding like the new #3s will be tougher! I do not have a #3.

No, the new #3s are murder. At venice beach a couple months ago, i tried Randy Strossen's own 2004 #3 and i got it as far as i had gotten an easy #4 that day.

Definately 3.4 or 3.5. At least.

MEAT

I just read more posts. One 3" and one 2.75"??

Looks like nothing has changed with the #3 typical variances.

I have 2004 #1, #2 and now #3. I haven't tried other #3's but I'm very sure that mine is a BEAST. It feels impossible to even get down to parrallel(barely can do that). I can chest crush it but that's about it for now. I thought I'd be able to get it down farther since I've started to rep my #2, but I guess not. I guess I'll just do some negatives with it for now. I'll try it on my actual hand grip workout day to see if there is a difference. I just measured my handle to handle length( I guess this is the sweep?) and it's 3''.

I have an '04 #2, #3, and #4 all with a 3" spread. The 3 is very stout and hard on the close, the 2 is above average and the 4..well its just damn crazy.

What's with the new #4s?

I bought a new #4 a month ago and it has the same spread as my previous one (from feb -03) and it feels about egually heavy. The new one being a little bit heavier, but I haven't seasoned it yet and I won't either. Want to keep it as is, so the if/when I close my other #4 regularly some day and start thinking about getting certified, I want to have an unseasoned #4 to compare with).

I think small differences i resistance is hard to give an opinion about, if the gripper are far from what you can close - when I got my RB300 i thought it was almost as tough as my #4, but now after gaining some strenght, I am just 5 millimeters from closing it, but still have a long way to go on the #4... By that, I mean that there could be a larger difference between my two #4 than I can judge for the moment.

//Jim

After puting some oil on the spring and playing with it some its just like Bob said and is about a 3.3 or so. Still harder then my mm1 replica. Great gripper though.

Austin