In The Beginning....

jariley

Well, this is the beginning of my grip strength training log. Definitely a good idea--helps keep a check on consistency. Don't have a lot of tools where I am now, but have enough to build strength. Gripping, bending, and pinching (not necessarily in that order) will all be things I will be doing (and do). So, sit back, and enjoy the updates (sorry, no pics at least for now). Oh, and by the way...I'm deployed in Iraq so you'll get some updates on what's going on here as well. In fact.....

17 Sep:

Began grip workout but aparently the iraqis didn't want it to happen. They decided to attack us with Rockets.....

Workout: Cancelled due to rocket attack!

18 Sep: 1430

Pinching

2 10's x 5 x 2 (single handed)

3 10's x 5 x 2 (single handed)

2 25's x 5 x 2 (two hands)

2 35's x 5 x 1 (two hands)

2 45's x 5 x 1 (two hands)

Plate Curls

2 10's x 5 x 3

25 x nothing x 1 (ha, not this time)

Trying to find some bolts or nails around this base....you'd think Marine Corps engineers would have some timber ties or 60D's or something. The search continues.....

Left the grippers in my seabag at another undisclosed location....won't be able to get them back until next month.

19 Sep

Two excercises:

Sort'a blob (have no blobs in iraq...so just have to grab the dumbbell on end)

20 x 5 x 1

25 x 5 x 1

30 x 5 x 1

35 x 5 x 1 (NEGATIVES)

Pinching

2 25's x 5 x 1 (two hands)

2 35's x 5 x 1 (two hands)

2 45's x 1 (3-5 second holds) x 2

2 25's x 3 x 1 (negatives with 1 hand) **on third rep with left hand crushed left pinky between plates as they hit the deck, pinky bruised and slightly swollen.**

that's all for today.

Still, haven't found any nails.....

21 Sep

Had to get blood drained from my finger due to crushing it the other day...so will be out of commission for a couple of days....can't grip, pinch, or bend. Oh well...ordered "Mastery of Hand Strength" so will have to wait until it gets shipped to my house and then will havw to wait till it gets shipped here to Iraq. Got plenty of time to wait though....not like I'm going anywhere for a while.

I'm putting together a box of bending stock for you, big guy!

Best excuse ever for canceling a workout....Rocket Attack!

You could still pinch. Just curl your pinky up by your palm and use index, middle and ring only to grab the plates.

Got my finger bled yesterday....kind of like they used to do when someone had a headache....just poke a whole and watch it bleed. Should be able to lift today...it is definitely not as swollen and should be able to pinch. We'll see and I'll update this later. I may have to get it bled again if it swells up any more. Well, hopefully no rocket attack today or mortars or anything...we'll see.

Oh yeah....the doc (before bleeding my finger) wanted to numb my pinky, but finally we did it without any numbing. it didn't hurt though (but I braced myself for some pain...wan't sure if it would hurt).

19 Sep

Two excercises:

Sort'a blob (have no blobs in iraq...so just have to grab the dumbbell on end)

20 x 5 x 1

25 x 5 x 1

30 x 5 x 1

35 x 5 x 1 (NEGATIVES)

Might want to be careful doing the blob work this way. It can easily lead to wrist strain.

Well, I guess any strength will help in the field....but I don't think that wrist, forearm, handstrength will assist me in anything specifically. I'll think about it more though....

Today...

left pinky still sore

Attempted to deadlift....

135 x 10 x 1

185 x 10 x 1

225 x 3 x 1 (pinky couldn't hold, left hand couldn't hold any longer)

275 x 1 x 1 (pinky couln't hold.....) I hate my pinky

one handed DL's with bar between legs

135 x 5 x 3 (rt hand)

95 x 5 x 3 (lft hand)

Pinch

2 25's x 10 x 2 (two hands)

2 25's (+10) x 5 x 1

2 25's (+20) x 5 x 1

2 25's (+30) x 5 x 1

2 25's (+20) x 2 for 15 seconds

Tire flipping (got Motor T to give me a 350-400 lb 5 ft wide tire to train with)

Did about 100 m of flipping, maybe 20 flips??

That's it for today......

Nice log! I've heard about using the nails from ammo crates for bending. Might be a free source for you.

Got the finger bled again today....must not have bled it thoroughly enough the other day but underneath the fingernail is mostly clear now....so it should be good in a day or so.

Will post tonight on results of workout....am going to try and make some farmer's walk equipment in a little while. No Rockets or mortars today....at least not yet.

24 September

Pinching (all one handed)

sets weight reps

2 x 2 10's x 5

1 x 25+5 x 5

1 x 25+10 x 5

1 x 2 25's x 4 + 1 attempt

Tried something new...just messing around...

loaded up one end of a barbell with a couple of plates and put the other end of the barbell on the bench. Grabbed the thick end of the barbell and sort of deadlifted it. Trying to get that thick bar experience. It did a good job frying the forearms...

3 sets.... with right hand: 3 x 90 lbs x 5

with left hand: 1 x 90 x 3

2 x 65 x 5

That's it....need to get the grippers back and bend some too. Best of all, just need to establish a workout routine!

Edited by jariley

• 2 weeks later...

5 Oct

Been in the field for a while...done some grip work with sand bags and such....but not a lot. Once I go back out I'll pick it up some. I have some 2" pvc and some wood for block weight training. Well, that's it for now. They attacked my checkpoint the other day. Two RPG's and some small arms. The first RPG hit the pile of sand bags that one of my marines was standing near....it blew the sand bags up but that was it. Didn't catch the buggers though....they're sneaky. Well, I'm out for now....

• 2 weeks later...

13 Oct

Finally got ahold of my grippers...about 1/4" from closing my #2. Got some TT's that I had brought with me too. Crushed a couple of them....still working on getting some 1/4" bent. Well, that's all for now. Can't wait to get back to the states.

16 Oct

Past couple of days did some grip workouts and some bending. I would like to be able to close the #3 by the end of this deployment....I definitely have the time to train, do I have the desire? I guess we'll see.

Poll: Do I have it in me to train hard enough, and smart enough, to close the number three by the end of deployment?

Only time will tell................................................................