Tire Flipping

Jeff Parker

Im going to be flipping a 570# tire for 75 ft in the scarecrow strongman contest as one of the events. I have never flipped a tire before. I live in the city, Royal Oak MI, and I go to school in Detroit, so there aren't big tractor tires just laying around anywhere. What can I do to help with my tire flipping? What kind of weights and in what type of lifts should I be able to do in order to flip a tire like this?

When I flip mine the areas that seem to get hit the hardest are low back and biceps (specifically around the elbow joint). Anything that works those areas will help. There should be tons of used tire places in your area. Make a few calls, I'm sure you'll find one.

Reverse Cleans aka Heavy Cheat curls.....

Close grip Incline press, pop it over jsut that much faster

Leg work.....obviously.

Don't under-estimate heavy lunges,or lunge walks.

Curls with a telephone pole and rolling giant boulders sound like good training tools to me. Anyway, I'd try to find some exercise similiar to a deadlift that requires forward driving with the legs. Driving up and into the rear of a car or truck to get it moving might help; only a few steps at a time and really thrust into it. I've rolled a few stones, but not the other stuff I mentioned, they're just ideas that I think could help if you cannot get a tire.

Double underhand deadlifts.

From to floor or better yet off a block....to approximate that low starting point.

New exercise for me....good for grip also.

If you have a hack squat machine "svend Squats".......these will sort of help you with the pushover.

All the suggestions sound good, I'm going to be working out strongman later today so I'll give them a try. Thanks guys