Strongman Training Today

Clay Edgin

Picked up Dale Harder today on my way to do some strongman training up in the bay area and to also purchase a couple atlas stones since they were cheaper than what I could make myself. Arrived around 9:30 at Dale's place and we were on our way. Dale was kind enough to show me a copy of his new book hot off the presses and then tell me that the copy I was holding was MY copy :) I have some reading to do later tonight for sure.

Got up to Richmond around 10:15 and things got started from there. Warmed up with some farmer's walks for 50 foot bursts. Did 115, 205, 295, and 315 (twice) for 50 feet. I wasn't able to make the next jump up in weight so I watched. One guy there who converted to strongman from powerlifting took 405 per hand for a 50+ foot ride which was impressive as heck.

I matched my previous PR on the log press with 250 but this time it was on a 12" log. My overhead strength sucks.

Then was the medley. I hate the medleys because it shows just how out of shape I am. 600lb tire flip for 80 feet, then sled drag backwards with 605lbs. I was already sucking wind and cottonmouthed halfway through the tire and was relieved to push it over the line, then I jumped (okay, hobbled) to the sled and began the slow painful drag. Took it about 40 feet an inch at a time until I couldn't even fall backwards I was so spent. One guy immediately pulled 4-45's off and I continued to the end, falling 3 more times. After 45 minutes of nearly passing out, nearly vomiting, and nearly dying, I finally got back into it.

Then we got into stones, something I had been practicing a bit at home recently. Lapped the 265 easily but could not get it loaded on the 72" platform. Lapped the 296 stone but could not load it. Broke the 340 off the ground and almost into the lap, which surprised me. Then I bought two of their used stones that were in great shape; a 325 and 350 pounder. One of the guys was kind enough to load them into the back of my truck. We set them in tires that were in the back of the truck so they wouldn't roll around and they didn't move the whole trip.

One of the guys there who took 405 per hand for a walk wants to get into grip stuff because he says it looks like a lot of fun. He's a powerlifter with a 2000 total (equipped) and a heck of a strong base. He could be freaky strong if he got some toys. He lives an hour away from me though.

Came home this afternoon and rolled the stones into the house much to the chagrin of my wife who apparently did not remember me telling her about me buying these.

First off, awesome report.

I

matched my previous PR on the log press with 250 but this time it was on a 12" log. My overhead strength sucks.

That's a good press, IMO, especially on a 12 inch log. Those things are a bitch.

Way to get the 340 up a pretty decent height. Were you using tacky? If not, that's frickin great! Can't wait to see you latch onto these stones here in PA!

-Jedd-

There was a bit of tacky on the stone from the last guy to try it, but not much. I usually just use chalk. I am enjoying stone lifting, but don't have much room here on my patio. I now have just enough room to move them around to do my lifting, but it's worth it!

Yeah, Clay. Those 12" logs are a bitch. I pressed a 230 log and barely missed 240, and i could clean a 250, but couldn't press it (didn't try).

Your stone performances are awesome because stones are hard as hell. I have huge scars across my forearms because of those damn things...well, i didnt use any tack or athletic tape, but i will next time.

600lb tire for 80 feet then 600lb sled drag for 40 feet....hmm....

At the Freak Factory we do an 800lb tire for 50 feet (7 or 8 flips) and then a 380-400 sled drag but it's for 80 feet. I wonder which is worse....the medleys kick my ass so hard....

"I matched my previous PR on the log press with 250 but this time it was on a 12" log. My overhead strength sucks" Yeah, dude. Boo freaking hoo. We all know how much of a puss hippy you are. 250 IMHO is really good for a fat log like that.

MEAT

Actually, the flip was 80 feet one directions and the drag was 80 feet the other direction. Either way, it was hard. I don't remember much of the last 40 feet of the drag.

Hippy? Me? How could you tell - what is my head full of dredlocks? My strict vegetarian diet? ;)

One guy there who converted to strongman from powerlifting took 405 per hand for a 50+ foot ride which was impressive as heck.

One of the guys there who took 405 per hand for a walk wants to get into grip stuff because he says it looks like a lot of fun.

Sounds like he has a pretty good grip already. :blink

That IS a world class farmers walk.Many pro strongmen could not do that.

Impressive......who ever he is.

His first name is Ricky and I think last name is LaRocca or something like that. He's a powerlifter from Nor. Cal. with a nearly 2100 (equipped) total. He says his best deadlift from the floor now is 735 and he has done a rack pull with 1,000 without straps. I think he squeezed 78kg on Dale's dyno which aint' too shabby. He got my easy #3 to about 1/2" on his first try.

His first name is Ricky and I think last name is LaRocca or something like that.  He's a powerlifter from Nor. Cal. with a nearly 2100 (equipped) total. 

Definitely a real freak with great grip and brute strength.

A 2100 total is nice.VERY respectable.....A 735 dead off the floor.Very nice?!! :D

But 405 per hand for 50 feet??Incredible!! :bow:bow:bow He's got some kind of useable strength/power!! :rock

(Remember ad Odd Haugens Contest several 'Pro'strongmen....couldn't move those #385lb farmers implements very far at all.In fact?I believe Jon Andersen...moved it just a foot or so.Others went '0'.)

This guy is something.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Yup, I competed against him in March when he was less experienced on the implements and beat him but yesterday he smoked me good! He is a very enthusiastic guy and should go far.