Mike The Destroyer Challenge

Scott Styles

I held the REAL World's Strongest Grip contest this weekend @ my home. No one showed up, but I complete the Vertical Shifting Grip lift, Twisting Butterfly Lift, and the Munger Bar in record time with record weights. I am the World Champion. Print that, Strossen. :rolleyes

Seriously, if he has "no control" then what is his roll as editor?

here's a question. If IM sponsered this contest, how come no IM implements were used? I'm pretty sure they don't make a banana dumbbell or decks of cards.

Someone please tell me why IM sponsored this "contest"???? Shit, if i was putting my name to something, they better make damn sure to use my product somewhere.

I don't know what getting on Strossen's case will do about it. It's not his contest, he didn't crown Mike the world's grip champion, and he's said before that basically his hands are tied. Not defending him, but I think you're just shootin the messenger here.

Ask Joe Roark. We ALL have a responsobility to pass on the facts as best we can. I am sure we may exaggerate our lifting prowess from time to time, adding a few pounds when memories become a little vague. But to make the claim that one is World Grip Champion having beaten three others and then to have Iron Min give it their seal of approval by letting it go on their news ticker just isn't right.

I have had 2 more emails. One, from Randall, suggests helping rather than being a critic - I did. I spoke to Mike Roy, as reported before, told him WE were a little disappointed and that WE were trying to standardize grip and made what I thought were helpful suggestions. I also had an email from the guy who supplied IM with the news re the same and have just replied to him as well.

Is it accurate to say that Ironmind "sponsored" the contest? It just seems to me he was doing the promotor a favor by announcing it on his website.

-Jedd-

I am sure we may exaggerate our lifting prowess from time to time, adding a few pounds when memories become a little vague.

Not me. I ALWAYS round down, not up. Don't want to catch myself not able to do something I said I could.

I am sure we may exaggerate our lifting prowess from time to time, adding a few pounds when memories become a little vague.

Not me. I ALWAYS round down, not up. Don't want to catch myself not able to do something I said I could.

Ditto that.

Same here. In any case I am always at my strongest overall in competitions anyway.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

It even seems like Randall isn't even getting the facts straight from Mike himself. The contest name was no longer the world's strongest grip contest as it once was, it was changed to the Mike Destroyer Challenge. So, Mike Destroyer won the Mike Destroyer challenge I don't see anything wrong with that, but is it Mike or is it Randall that has resurected this world's strongest grip crap?

The day also saw Michael 'The Destroyer' Roy crowned the 2004 World Grip Champion.

Exactly!

Come on guys?

What a load of crap!

Look at the headlines of the 'Title'of this news report also.

"MIKE ROY WINS GRIP CHALLENGE"............the way THAT is worded gives it some credibility.

How about?'Mike Roy wins his own contest'or 'Mike Roy beats 3 other complete unknowns for his own grip challenge'.

"The day also saw Michael 'the destroyer' Roy 2004 crowned the WORLD GRIP CHAMPION"

P-L-E-A-S-E??!?!?Give me a break. :whistel

Strossen did NOT have to report this absolute crap and he could have absolutely changed the wording IF he felt it necessary to report it at all.

There is such thing a journalistic responsibiltity.

IS this a strength magazine?Or The Enquirer?Or some other magazine you find in the check out line at a grocery store.Sheeeesh! :dry

Don't drink the kool-aid.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

I don't know what getting on Strossen's case will do about it.  It's not his contest, he didn't crown Mike the world's grip champion, and he's said before that basically his hands are tied.  Not defending him, but I think you're just shootin the messenger here.

Randall J. Strossen

Publisher and Editor- in- Chief

This would appear to mean that HE he has COMPLETE control of what is published and or written?

Published by Iron Mind Enterpises INC.

This would appear to mean his equipment company/corporation,Iron mind Enterprises,Inc publishes MILO.I don't think there are too many other share holders?

On the cover:

MILO

'A Journal for Serious Strength Athletes'

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

This might just come down to an issue of federations, and a different World title for each federation. As in boxing you can have many World Champs, but if somebody is great enought he can win his way to being the undisputed champ.

The world's strongest man is a title given to: Hossein Rezazedeh, Super Mariusz, Gary Franks, Brian Siders and Mark Henry.

Mostly different sports or different fed rules, what it will boil down to for grip will be the question of wether to follow the brute strength aproach or the functional strength aproach.

Max lifts are the brute strength aproach, along the lines of powerlifting.

Timed lifts on progressivly harder implements, repetitions, various destruction events and the occasional max lift would resemble the functional strength comps.

It's two different grip sports: the current Brute Strength Lifts and now the new Grip Challenges. It is now divivded into Lifts and Events. I suppose the two can co-mingle and eventually there might be one undesputed grip champ.

°

Edited by Darco

The world's strongest man is a title given to: Hossein Rezazedeh, Super Mariusz, Gary Franks, Brian Siders and Mark Henry. 

I think I see your point. But I don't see Joe Garcia (world record holder in the hand-and-thigh lift) claiming to be the world's strongest man. And if he did, I hope a respectable strength journal wouldn't report him as such.

If a guy can beat anyone in a few weird events, he is the world champ at those events, that's about it.

°

All these guys(you'll also see such claims/implications on Svends,Magnus S.,Magnus Ver,Anthony Clark,Karelin,etc. etc. etc ;) websites) have at least some sort of relevant claim to some sort of World Title in the Superheavy weight division of a Strength Sport. Thus,IMHO. they can make some sort of argument that they ARE the strongest man in the world........IF they aren't a world champion now? then some have had a world championship in the past. They are all 'super'heavyweights.Big Huge powerful men that HAVE been on top of their federation or sport.They are all legitimate competitors.....in some sort of organized,legitimate, federation....In some sort of organized ,legitimate,strength sport.

THis Mike the Destroyer exhibition/contest was won by an individual that as far as I know is NOT a competitor in other grip contests(is not a legit competitor in Strongman,powerlifting or 0-lifting for that matter).He chose the events.The were atypical grip events.This was NOT an established federation. There were NOT any legitimate competitors there.There is NOT any basis for any kind of legitimate claim to this contest winner being the World Grip champion.There is NO basis for the claim(World Grip Champion)to be justified or legitimized and there was IMHO no legitimate basis for a Journal For Serious Strength Athletes to report it as such..........

Just my opinion.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

more From ironmind

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

The Destroyer Demolishes Grip Contest Standards

When we first announced Mike "The Destroyer" Roy's grip contest, we had some questions about the events, but most all, we wondered if he could pull off what he was trying to do.

After all, Roy was saying that he was going to take a backyard-level activity and give it the exposure and staging of a major strength contest, partly by selecting events that had historical significance and that would also look good to spectators, and partly by giving feats of grip strength and their top practitioners unheard of levels of visibility.

Roy succeeded in doing what he said he would: With a crowd estimated at 5,000 watching, grip events never got so much exposure, and a purse of this size had never even been imagined before. TV and newspapers covered the event, Roy's stock as a talk-show guest has soared and he just got a call from Ben Weider, who pledged his support.

Rumor has it that The Destroyer is already planning the 2005 edition of this contest, and given where he just set the bar, who knows what he might pull off next year.

This is starting to read like a bad episode of the twilight zone. I wonder what the weather is like on Randall's planet.

According to Randall he's not responsible for this kinda crap. I did suggest that he then use my 'news' of my being a grip god then. So far it hasn't been used.

Steve,

I applaud your interest in keeping things on the straight and narrow, which is why I encouraged people to discuss Mike's contest and events with him, rather than just knocking everything before they even understood the details. Also, I think that it should be apparent that by merely bad-mouthing Mike and his contest, the critics made it easy for him to claim the title. I would guess that if some guys - grip gods or not - had put half the energy into training for this contest that they put into knocking it, they might have done really well and maybe even won it.

In any event, I understand both your concern about the title and agree about IronMind's responsibility here, but especially because I am aware of at least three different names for this contest, this has hardly been carved in stone; nonetheless, especially given the sensitivities involved, I now think that I should have re-confirmed this before we posted Sam's report. I am sure that if Sam Dube got the title wrong, he will let me know and we will be happy to print a correction.

Thank you again for both wanting to keep things square and for looking to us to do just this.

Best wishes.

Randy

Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D.

IronMind Enterprises, Inc.

On Sep 6, 2004, at 3:58 PM, Steve Gardener wrote:

Randall, it's being posted on your site. You take responsibility - no one else. You KNOW he is no where near to being World Grip Champion. You also are more than well aware, both as a fan and a sponsor of such, that there are many competitions. If you are merely a conduit you can announce me as a grip god on your news section!! I spoke by phone to Mike Roy and he is well aware of how I feel. I suggested to him that he adopts some of the more standardized lifts and adds, from a pool, some of his more obscure lifts (banana dumbbell whatever). He made it clear that he did what he did to 'honour's old time strongmen. I pointed out that they each had their pet lifts but a whole competition? And then to be announced, through your site, as World Champion having beaten THREE other men? Give me a break - you nigh on give it your seal of approval by allowing him to get away with this BS. You are aware of your place in the Iron Game - don't let those that know better loose respect for the IM site and it's news section.

Steve

----- Original Message -----

To: Steve Gardener

Sent: Monday, September 06, 2004 11:36 PM

Subject: Re: Attn of Randall

Steve,

Sorry, but I really don't know who entered - I only have the information that Sam Dube had sent (that's his quote you picked up). If so, it's really too bad that anyone who objected to Mike's contest made things easy for him by not showing up. Incidentally, I referred to this contest as the Destroyer's Grip Challenge, which was the last name Mike told me he was using.

I'll forward your email to Sam Dube and to Mike Roy, and maybe they can give you some more information on this.

Best wishes.

Randy

Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D.

IronMind Enterprises, Inc.

On Sep 6, 2004, at 1:34 PM, IronMind Enterprises, Inc. wrote:

----- Original Message -----

To: IronMind Enterprises, Inc.

Sent: Monday, September 06, 2004 12:13 PM

Subject: Attn of Randall

World grip champion? Is this a joke? I think and please correct me if I am wrong, that no one other than the three mentioned entered and he trains with them. Steve Gardener

The day also saw Michael 'The Destroyer' Roy crowned the 2004 World Grip Champion after completing the grueling grip strength circuit in just over 5 minutes and 8 seconds. He cemented his victory by following the series immediately with a near 47 second 200 lbs. vertical bar hold, dominating the competition with an impressive 135 out of 145 possible points. Placing 2nd, 3rd, and 4th respectively were Dave Daneault, Robert Daigneault, and Yan Demeuls."

Dear Steve,

I am truly sorry that my quote offended you so strongly. Such was

definitely not my intention. I reported the news as a service to the

strength world, a world that we all love. Randy knows this, and I am

sure, knows that I would not make anything up. I take full responsibility

for the quote, and I maintain its accuracy, as the event was presented as

the World Grip Championships to the thousands in attendance, with the

title of World Grip Champion and a $5,000 Canadian (about one British

pound) purse under contention.

I certainly understand your distress if you feel there are others

more deserving of the title. I know very little concerning the politics

of the world of hand and wrist strength, but what I do know is that we

must all work together to improve. My role was only that of announcer at

the show, and I met Michel Roy for the first time that day. Although I

certainly do not know the man, the man I met that day was polite,

respectful, easygoing, but above all, genuinely passionate about grip

prowess and old-time strongman feats. The situation here reminds me of

what we experienced with the sport of strongman (or "strength athletics"

as we now say) here in Canada several years ago. Descentralized and

disorganized, there was some dissention in the ranks concerning contests,

titles, and the like. Although we've had the title of "Canada's Strongest

Man" for many years, it was not until 1999 that an organizing body was

far-reaching enough and the athletes cohesive enough to hold a national

championship that was truly national in scope, one with very little

controversy and debate. Now, we have grass-roots level shows which are

qualifiers for regionals, which are qualifiers for provincials, which are

qualifiers for the Canada's. It took a little time, and it is not

perfect, but it had to start somewhere. Perhaps from your perspective a

more apt example is the famed "World Championships of Pennsylvia" episode

in powerlfiting about ten years back, an occurance which riled no less

than the great Ed Coan himself.

I know it is small consolation for you in this situation, and I

won't pretend to understand its dynamics, but there must be a start

somewhere in this case, too. It may or may not be the grip contest held

here in Canada, but on the bright side, hand & grip strength got a

tremendous amount of exposure at a beautiful venue in front of thousands.

I am sorry that you chose not be a part of it this time, for as a grip

aficionado, you would have certainly enjoyed even being simply a

spectator at the event, even enjoyed some poutine or a beaver tail!

Once again, I am sorry that my report caused you anguish. I feel

like somewhat of an outsider now that this controversy has ensued

(Olympic lifting and strength athletics are more my cup of tea). I was

reporting what was said and done at the show, and tried to give the

patient and enthusiastic crowd a lesson in hand and wrist strength. The

show attracted a huge audience, and it certainly won't be the last time

grip strength will be showcased in this way. I'm sure many would like to

see you at that time, perhaps involved in production, design, and

organization as well. Let's try to work together for a better future in

sport.

Yours in strength & health,

Sam.

Samuel Dube, Ph.D.

5,000.00 CAD

Canada Dollars = 2,143.46 GBP

United Kingdom Pounds

5,000.00 CAD

Canada Dollars = 2,143.46 GBP

United Kingdom Pounds

and a $5,000 Canadian (about one British

pound) purse under contention.

Nonnono, Sam D. PH.d's exchange rate is indeed correct. I went to Canada last weekend and bought a car for about $4.50 US, it's just the damn tariff charges trying to get it back across the border...

Why hasnt the spokesman of this thing, here on the board, aka Warrior, responded at all?

Strange....

Rick Walker :rock

Why hasnt the spokeman of this thing here on the board, aka Warrior, responded at all?

Strange....

Rick Walker :rock

Maybe he's basking in the glory of having the fourth strongest grip in the world? :stuart