Mike The Destroyer Challenge

Scott Styles

Wow great events. Good to see the big names showed up for that one.

Trying to be funny.

Dude,

I think some of those events look bad-ass! Especially Events 8, thru 12.

8. grip power stairs, grabbing the plates by their lip

- We were toying with a similar idea for Global, but decided to keep it simple.

9. banana dumbbell press

- We will have a very similar Strength Prize Challenge at Global. A bottom's up press for reps of a very heavy Kettlebell, donated by an area enthusiast, Dave Bellomo, maxkettlebells.com. Definitely would take some serious strength to maintain a grip on that device.

10. one-finger curl

- Looks painful, man!

11. mini-Atlas stone, lifted with a thumb’s up pinch grip

- Looks very challenging. A different type of leverage trying to rip your hand off.

12. holding onto a vertical bar with weight hanging from the wrist

- This ended up looking much different from what I imagined. Better have some shoulder and elbow integrity as well as a bad-ass Grip!

A few things about this contest, in my opinion:

1. Insufficient and inaccurate marketing. I think the intent of the promotion of this contest was far different from the publicity it received on this board. What happened between "Warrior" and many other members of the board only made matters worse, in effect creating a boycott of his contest, so it seems.

2. Obviously, Mike Roy did not go "with the flow" when selecting his events. I think he should be commended for the variety. I would love to be able to play with some of the implements demonstrated on that link. Very different stimuli from what I am used to. Very challenging.

3. Hopefully we can get an accurate report fo how it all went down. Was there video? Will copies be sold? Can't wait to find out.

-Jedd-

Jedd, you make some excellent points. Ijust reread the orignal thread on the contest. Warrior made it very clear that mikeroy would lose at our events. If people on this board started training on those events and got good, mikeroy would throw new event in the next contest that people haven't tried. But i could see some of these events being in our traditional contest.

Mike roy seems like a strong guy, but he's out to make money. Can't make money by challenging people to events that are widely practiced.

Apperently Videos will be available from Iron mind.

The day also saw Michael 'The Destroyer' Roy crowned the 2004 World Grip Champion.

There we go again!!

i was gonna reply to this with a sarcastic comment on a contest that i'm holding, but i figured it might get me a 5 day ban or something.

Edited by ishred

Ban me then - this is what I just sent to Randall: World grip champion? Is this a joke? I think and please correct me if I am wrong, that no one other than the three mentioned entered and he trains with them.

Steve Gardener

The day also saw Michael 'The Destroyer' Roy crowned the 2004 World Grip Champion after completing the grueling grip strength circuit in just over 5 minutes and 8 seconds. He cemented his victory by following the series immediately with a near 47 second 200 lbs. vertical bar hold, dominating the competition with an impressive 135 out of 145 possible points. Placing 2nd, 3rd, and 4th respectively were Dave Daneault, Robert Daigneault, and Yan Demeuls."

Agreed and I have said as much for next year but 'grip world champion'?? As we Brits say is he having a laugh?? I know IM and Randall do their bit to support grip but how can they allow him this. I'd have emailed Mike and said 'come on Mike, I have a list of grip guys as long as your arm and not one entered your comp' and 'I'd be embaressed to say you are grip world champion'. If Randall lets this go I'm issuing a press release which I will want him to publish saying I'm a grip god!

Randalls response:

Steve,

Sorry, but I really don't know who entered - I only have the information that Sam Dube had sent (that's his quote you picked up). If so, it's really too bad that anyone who objected to Mike's contest made things easy for him by not showing up. Incidentally, I referred to this contest as the Destroyer's Grip Challenge, which was the last name Mike told me he was using.

I'll forward your email to Sam Dube and to Mike Roy, and maybe they can give you some more information on this.

Best wishes.

And mine (as promised):

Randall, it's being posted on your site. You take responsibility - no one else. You KNOW he is no where near to being World Grip Champion. You also are more than well aware, both as a fan and a sponsor of such, that there are many competitions. If you are merely a conduit you can announce me as a grip god on your news section!! I spoke by phone to Mike Roy and he is well aware of how I feel. I suggested to him that he adopts some of the more standardized lifts and adds, from a pool, some of his more obscure lifts (banana dumbbell whatever). He made it clear that he did what he did to 'honour's old time strongmen. I pointed out that they each had their pet lifts but a whole competition? And then to be announced, through your site, as World Champion having beaten THREE other men? Give me a break - you nigh on give it your seal of approval by allowing him to get away with this BS. You are aware of your place in the Iron Game - don't let those that know better loose respect for the IM site and it's news section.

Steve

I really cannot believe what Randall made by way of reply. He may as well have said 'it's out of my hands'. I also find the reference to none of us going almost insulting. IF Mike makes the changes then I, for one, will compete next year - even if it's the only comp I enter.

There was a lot of controversy BEFORE this contest and it seems there will be much AFTER it as well.

It makes me want to set up a contest of my own - "Universe's Strongest Grip" - of which I will be the only entry - I will notify Ironmind, and as it shall be written so shall it be known..... :(

I don't know what getting on Strossen's case will do about it. It's not his contest, he didn't crown Mike the world's grip champion, and he's said before that basically his hands are tied. Not defending him, but I think you're just shootin the messenger here.

I don't see this as shooting the messenger at all - in your world-reknowned magazine, wouldn't you put something different about the contest if you were trying to convey "all the facts"?