Gripper training methods

Ivan Cuk

13 hours ago, Alexander Koss said:

What is your hand palm length @SeNoLD? I think the 19.5cm @Ivan Cuk referred to was your wrist circumference. :) 

I agree 100%, it’s much harder to get strong leverage with just three or even two digits on the gripper! On deeper sets I think everyone’s roughly in the same boat. 

He's right, my palm length and the circumference of the wrist are the same)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Yeah I get that just do what works for you.

I have built 90% of my strength with the Ivanko super gripper so maybe that's why my no sets are stronger than my sets.

You can't set the super gripper and on top of that I usually just do super wide sets with my vulcan because it is a bitch to set.

I remember you saying that a week ago. I'm still eyeballing that Baraban adjustable haha (like this: 🕶️👀🦉👁️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SeNoLD said:

He's right, my palm length and the circumference of the wrist are the same)

How interesting... My hand is about a centimeter longer than my wrist circumference. I think lol.... Will re-check 

8 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Use a very light gripper and do speed closes. With very light I mean very light. Start with a gripper you can do more than 50 reps with.

Use 20 mm block so you get 100% accurate setting on each rep.

You will notice your speed will go up pretty quickly. Then you can slowly progress to harder grippers.

Thanks! I'll try that for sure. Luckily I have a setting block. So that'll be 50 closes starting with the setting block... Seems interesting. I'm gonna try it with an unrated 100lbs gripper. 

17 minutes ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

I remember you saying that a week ago. I'm still eyeballing that Baraban adjustable haha (like this: 🕶️👀🦉👁️

I'd say if you don't care about carry over to torsion spring grippers get an adjustable one. Torsion spring grippers do have carry over to adjustable ones but it doesn't work the other way around. If you are looking for general hand strength nothing beats the ivanko if you want to close big grippers I would get a vulcan or a baraban.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Thanks 2

@Terry Conjugate Iron, no I did not mean you should do 50 reps. I meant you should use a gripper that you can do at least 50 reps with, to start with. Speed work is done with low reps usually. I'd say say between 3-8 reps will be enough. How many sets you should do depends on how tired you want to make yourself. But remember it's not about building muscle, so you don't have to do high volume.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

@Terry Conjugate Iron, no I did not mean you should do 50 reps. I meant you should use a gripper that you can do at least 50 reps with, to start with. Speed work is done with low reps usually. I'd say say between 3-8 reps will be enough. How many sets you should do depends on how tired you want to make yourself. But remember it's not about building muscle, so you don't have to do high volume.

Oops haha... OK that makes more sense. I usually don't do more than 5 but it'll be with a 200 gripper since I can close all my 250 grippers. 

So it is indeed like speed work, you generate more force than needed. Doesn't Kinney refer to that as over-crush? Am I wrong?

My best right now is a CCS with the #2.5 by the way. 

And yes I agree on not destroying your hands. It only affects the next session after a certain point. 

6 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I'd say if you don't care about carry over to torsion spring grippers get an adjustable one. Torsion spring grippers do have carry over to adjustable ones but it doesn't work the other way around. If you are looking for general hand strength nothing beats the ivanko if you want to close big grippers I would get a vulcan or a baraban.

Alright Baraban it is! By the way, Crabhold just re-released their adjustable spring torsion grippers 👀

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 10:16 PM, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Personally, I've noticed that my explosion in the deep sets or MMS is very poor. 

Probably cause I compete in powerlifting and all my reps are paused. Bench, overhead presses and almost all of my squat variations are paused. So I'm really good at maintaining good strength under tension but when it comes to my goal grippers I'm very very slow to improve. And by goal gripper I mean less then 4-5mm before it closes. 

I'm impossible. I seem to have no explosive strength whatsoever in my hands lol.

My TNS is decent provided that I can set the gripper. If it's super wide it taxes my fingers greatly. My hands are both a bit over 20.5cm in length by the way. 

Been trying to strengthen the ring finger and pinky as well. But I see that if I focus on that for say 2-3 weeks and skip regular gripper training, I lose a little strength. 

Thought I should share this on here. Seeing some of your insightful comments definitely helps me ponder a little more 🤔

I think you might be on to something Terry. I too come from a powerlifting background and my MMS is shite lol. Like you said I'm used to the long pauses, making sure proper squat depth is achieved etc. My hands aren't meat hooks(7.6" and 7.7") but surprisingly my CCS is quite close if not almost the same as my MMS. Maybe speed work is the remedy 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I think you might be on to something Terry. I too come from a powerlifting background and my MMS is shite lol. Like you said I'm used to the long pauses, making sure proper squat depth is achieved etc. My hands aren't meat hooks(7.6" and 7.7") but surprisingly my CCS is quite close if not almost the same as my MMS. Maybe speed work is the remedy 🤔

I know right?? I see those guys on here going from setting the gripper with both hands for an MMS and then boom as soon as that left hand is off the right hand explodes. It might be just a matter of approach. I can hold the setting block between my 300 gripper handles for almost 30 secs yet I still can't close it lol.... 

Yeah man I've done 17 meets in powerlifting and all my reps are super controlled. I literally get a mini stroke in every heavy rep haha

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

I know right?? I see those guys on here going from setting the gripper with both hands for an MMS and then boom as soon as that left hand is off the right hand explodes. It might be just a matter of approach. I can hold the setting block between my 300 gripper handles for almost 30 secs yet I still can't close it lol.... 

Yeah man I've done 17 meets in powerlifting and all my reps are super controlled. I literally get a mini stroke in every heavy rep haha

I hear you, the explosive of some of the MMS closes I've seen on here blow my mind. 

• Like 1

@Terry Conjugate Iron, first you would not listen to what a fraud has to say :D

Secondly, no it's not overcrushes. That's something else. What I'm talking about is speed reps, just like speed reps are done in any other type of lifting.

That's why you don't need a hard gripper, in fact you don't even need a gripper at all to start with. Just try to close your fist hard really fast. It's about training your neurological pathways, not about building muscle, you don't need any TUT at all. Just a really fast explosive "blow".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

@Terry Conjugate Iron, first you would not listen to what a fraud has to say :D

Secondly, no it's not overcrushes. That's something else. What I'm talking about is speed reps, just like speed reps are done in any other type of lifting.

That's why you don't need a hard gripper, in fact you don't even need a gripper at all to start with. Just try to close your fist hard really fast. It's about training your neurological pathways, not about building muscle, you don't need any TUT at all. Just a really fast explosive "blow".

I've read the comments on youtube and I've seen some discussions online. I even tried to do his program a while ago. Which I found impossible to do in a week's time. If you can elaborate that'd be great. If not on here, send me a PM? 

Didn't Jedd expand on that in an old video as well? 

20 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Alright Baraban it is! By the way, Crabhold just re-released their adjustable spring torsion grippers 👀

Btw make sure you don't buy the chrome edition that one can give you splinters.

The chrome layer slowly comes off over time and gives you metal splinters.

I tried looking up the Crabhold grippers but I couldn't find them.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Thanks 1

I thank this thread... Been sick all week with the stomach flu... So after reading this thread, and realizing how important technique is to closing grippers, I I watched every instructional videos on youtube. I never knew or don't remember to push the "dog leg"  side into the crease as your setting it, and to use your chest muscles.. Even though up until yesterday  I was extremely weak and sick feeling. I closed a 1 a lot easier, and if I wasn't feeling so bad, the almost the 1.5.. On a good day, I can close the 1 and the 1.5... But with better technique yesterday, I did it even easier. 

After two years, of fooling with grippers, I think i'm finally going to make faster progress.  I'm also going to buy the Vulcan soon, orange and crom spring. On a real good day, even early on I've come close to closing the 2... So I have "it" in me. I've just been a sh!t head about it.

Everyone who's new to grippers, don't be an idiot like me.  There is more to grippers than just squeezing them shut.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Btw make sure you don't buy the chrome edition that one can give you splinters.

The chrome layer slowly comes off over time and gives you metal splinters.

I tried looking up the Crabhold grippers but I couldn't find them.

Noted! It's on their IG store page :

IMG_20211204_010338.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Noted! It's on their IG store page :

IMG_20211204_010338.jpg

Those look rather interesting.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I thank this thread... Been sick all week with the stomach flu... So after reading this thread, and realizing how important technique is to closing grippers, I I watched every instructional videos on youtube. I never knew or don't remember to push the "dog leg"  side into the crease as your setting it, and to use your chest muscles.. Even though up until yesterday  I was extremely weak and sick feeling. I closed a 1 a lot easier, and if I wasn't feeling so bad, the almost the 1.5.. On a good day, I can close the 1 and the 1.5... But with better technique yesterday, I did it even easier. 

After two years, of fooling with grippers, I think i'm finally going to make faster progress.  I'm also going to buy the Vulcan soon, orange and crom spring. On a real good day, even early on I've come close to closing the 2... So I have "it" in me. I've just been a sh!t head about it.

Everyone who's new to grippers, don't be an idiot like me.  There is more to grippers than just squeezing them shut.

Technique is pretty damn important when it comes to closing torsion spring grippers that's why I am usually one of the people that recommends the ivanko super gripper to those that just don't feel like learning how to set and just want to get a mad crush.

It comes with 2 springs but you could also add a third and make it as hard as a no.4 without having to learn how to set.

Edited by DevilErik
Typo like a dumbass
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Also the Ivanko moves the fingers through a natural range of motion torsion spring grippers don't.

@CannonHas rated it and has the chart on his website.

It goes all the way from 26 LBS RGC to 180 LBS RGC with 2 springs.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Also the Ivanko moves the fingers through a natural range of motion torsion spring grippers don't.

@CannonHas rated it and has the chart on his website.

It goes all the way from 26 LBS RGC to 180 LBS RGC with 2 springs.

I’m intrigued by the Ivanko. But I’ve I already talked to the Hornes and told them I’d by buying the Vulcan. I don’t like going back on my word. Might end up owning both.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I’m intrigued by the Ivanko. But I’ve I already talked to the Hornes and told them I’d by buying the Vulcan. I don’t like going back on my word. Might end up owning both.

You can't go wrong with either one I have both of them and I honestly can't choose.

I have just been using the Ivanko a bit more lately because I finally have my strength back and I am now stronger than ever I nearly closed the highest setting today which is RGC 180.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Those look rather interesting.

Indeed they do 🤤👀👁️🤔

And I think I'm good with customs too cause they're in the E.U. 

My problem is with U.S. Brands. I'd really like to own GHP and Cannon grippers. But customs will eat me alive in Greece 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I agree, this community is gold! I'm also learning so much. And as time goes by, how much technique is involved in grip

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Indeed they do 🤤👀👁️🤔

And I think I'm good with customs too cause they're in the E.U. 

My problem is with U.S. Brands. I'd really like to own GHP and Cannon grippers. But customs will eat me alive in Greece 

Damn how come?

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

I agree, this community is gold! I'm also learning so much. And as time goes by, how much technique is involved in grip

Yeah man setting a gripper can feel like setting up for a bench press haha

Edited by DevilErik
  • Haha 1