6th man to bench press 700#

Tommy J.

6 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

It’s very sad... what people believe is “natural” and what is a good lift of not these days and achievable without drugs. BUT.... the advantage of being a natural is YOU can compare yourself to anyone in ANY  time period with confidence to  See where you stand. A science project Cannot do that....

Yes! Excellent point. 

4 minutes ago, PronatorKyle said:

Definitely not 500 that's for sure that's achievable natty for a completely average joe at 170 body weight. with good training  

Haha yea that's for sure :D I'm natural and have a 240kg squat and 280kg deadlift and I'm no superhuman or trained hard for a long time (3 years of powerlifting) 

• Like 1

Just now, Lennix said:

Haha yea that's for sure :D I'm natural and have a 240kg squat and 280kg deadlift and I'm no superhuman or trained hard for a long time (3 years of powerlifting) 

i'm 170lbs  myself and i have a 240 kg deadlift ,  no squat or bench numbers anymore as i had major spinal surgery and a shattered kneecap  but i am not a power lifter (I wouldn't even enter a competition with such a low number lol)  i just enjoy dead lifting  once every few months for a short while and keep my self strong other than that.  years of rugby and grappling.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lennix said:

That is cool. But how much you bench?

1 minute ago, Goran Paulinič said:

That is cool. But how much you bench?

I suck at bench, 150kg since 4 weeks ago  :D

In my opinion and it's only mine, 500lbs is going to be natural limit and 700lbs for deadlift. There could be some absolute freak that nudges above those numbers but it's such an anomaly that it's the exception, not the rule. And the exception doesn't make the rule.

And I'd say that 700lbs in the DL would be more doable than the 500lb bench, naturally. 

I believe pete rubish said he hit 720lbs naturally before going on gear. He is a very gifted puller so like I said, 700lbs would be something to behold naturally. 

I mean look around most gyms across America,  even a 405lb bench done properly is pretty rare. And it's been my experience that almost everytime it's someone who looks enhanced. 

First time I really benched on an Olympic bar and plates was in 10th grade. I was 167lbs and we had to try our weight for reps. I got 165x4. And I failed to lockout 175 right after that.

I didnt try a deadlift for a few years and hit 365lbs but had a few years of basic weight training by then too. My arms always gave me more of an advantage at dl vs bench. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, king crusher said:

In my opinion and it's only mine, 500lbs is going to be natural limit and 700lbs for deadlift. There could be some absolute freak that nudges above those numbers but it's such an anomaly that it's the exception, not the rule. And the exception doesn't make the rule.

And I'd say that 700lbs in the DL would be more doable than the 500lb bench, naturally. 

I believe pete rubish said he hit 720lbs naturally before going on gear. He is a very gifted puller so like I said, 700lbs would be something to behold naturally. 

I mean look around most gyms across America,  even a 405lb bench done properly is pretty rare. And it's been my experience that almost everytime it's someone who looks enhanced. 

First time I really benched on an Olympic bar and plates was in 10th grade. I was 167lbs and we had to try our weight for reps. I got 165x4. And I failed to lockout 175 right after that.

I didnt try a deadlift for a few years and hit 365lbs but had a few years of basic weight training by then too. My arms always gave me more of an advantage at dl vs bench. 

Agreed!

and FWIW I actually appreciate everyone’s sentiments on it. Many will pass on a topic like this out of fear of what others might think of their sentiments. So to that I say- salute fellas!

also am liking the sort of self loathing optimism most here have on barbell lifts, and what’s possible as it pertains to others’ natural ability. Mad kudos to those who have the ability to estimate the best raw natty possible lift at over 150lbs or more than their best lifts. AND say it publicly! 👍🏻

Random side note note on the DL.. who all is aware that PK pulled 500 his first try deadlifting? 😳

Edited by Tommy J.

Okay so I just had a quick grip comparison to the bench topic we have going..

it seems like most sort of agree that 500’ish is the highest possible natty bench. Which happens to be roughly %70 of the current all time raw bench press. Which is a fair estimate by you guys, considering PEDs add up to 30% in a perfect situation. So it does fit!

lets apply this same logic to, say, the DO axle record? 😬

the current DO axle record is what? 515’ish? Obviously enhanced. Then by your logic, does this mean the highest possible natty DO axle is only 365’ish?? Which would be roughly 70% of the current all time WR.

lol! Uh oh... 🧐 things just got complicated, huh?

18 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Okay so I just had a quick grip comparison to the bench topic we have going..

it seems like most sort of agree that 500’ish is the highest possible natty bench. Which happens to be roughly %70 of the current all time raw bench press. Which is a fair estimate by you guys, considering PEDs add up to 30% in a perfect situation. So it does fit!

lets apply this same logic to, say, the DO axle record? 😬

the current DO axle record is what? 515’ish? Obviously enhanced. Then by your logic, does this mean the highest possible natty DO axle is only 365’ish?? Which would be roughly 70% of the current all time WR.

lol! Uh oh... 🧐 things just got complicated, huh?

Obviously the answer is a hard “no”. The best possible DO axle natty lift is not a measly 365.

which leaves only 2 plausible scenarios “why” the best natty lift is way more than 365 on the axle.

1. Either Mikes record is no where near the best possible enhanced lift.. (which is highly unlikely considering no one has touched his record)

or 2. Steroids actually don’t help grip much.. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Tommy J.

6 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Obviously the answer is a hard “no”. The best possible DO axle natty lift is not a measly 365.

which leaves only 2 plausible scenarios “why” the best natty lift is way more than 365 on the axle.

1. Either Mikes record is no where near the best possible enhanced lift.. (which is highly unlikely considering no one has touched his record)

or 2. Steroids actually don’t help grip much.. 🤷🏼‍♂️

My first time to ever do a deadlift was when i was 15. I was 6’2 250. I managed to pull 450lbs. The first time i ever bench pressed was in the 7th grade i threw up 225. Ive never taken anything in my life. I dont even use protein powder... i agree with what has been said by some. That is that some people are just born gifted with certain abilities or it is passed down through genes. And some just have to work a hell of alot harder..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stephen Anderson said:

My first time to ever do a deadlift was when i was 15. I was 6’2 250. I managed to pull 450lbs. The first time i ever bench pressed was in the 7th grade i threw up 225. Ive never taken anything in my life. I dont even use protein powder... i agree with what has been said by some. That is that some people are just born gifted with certain abilities or it is passed down through genes. And some just have to work a hell of alot harder..

And where you stand at deadlift and bench today? And are you all life natty or not?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stephen Anderson said:

Cold hard truth pill that so many don’t want to swallow.

4 hours ago, Stephen Anderson said:

Good lord, hope you got athleticism with those size genetics and played football.

I've never been as big as you were at 15 haha it took a lot of overeating for me to get to a high of 242 when I was 22-23 @6'1" my body just doesnt want to be that heavy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goran Paulinič said:

And where you stand at deadlift and bench today? And are you all life natty or not?

Like i said above i dont even use protein powder. Right now 365 bench and 600 dead

3 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Good lord, hope you got athleticism with those size genetics and played football.

I've never been as big as you were at 15 haha it took a lot of overeating for me to get to a high of 242 when I was 22-23 @6'1" my body just doesnt want to be that heavy. 

I played college football yes! Im 6’3 300 right now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goran Paulinič said:

And the funny thing is all i train is grip.... i dont even workout with barbell weights anymore

• Like 1

I think if the axle deadlift was popular we would have a 600lb lift shortly, it just doesn't draw enough attention for everybody to chase it. 

• Like 1

Ya, we can’t compare weight lifting with grip. Our sport is so niche and relatively young. Very few mainstream people even know about it. Almost everyone knows what a squat, bench and deadlift is. Most people are shocked there is such a thing as grip competitions when I tell them.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

The whole PED thing is so disheartening. Every girl on instagram seems to deadlift 500lbs, every guy 800lbs or more. It's hard to believe all of those people are using PEDs. Maybe I'm a naive romantic but I like to believe there are genetic outliers out there that can do that stuff natural. With the current state of drug testing however we will never know for sure and personally I think that's extremely frustrating because I want to know what is really possible and what is not. I am however completely fed up with all of those people saying 'you just have to put in the hard work'. After training for 25+ years and focusing on the deadlift for the last 10 years I still haven't deadlifted 500lbs, so sadly it seems I'm a complete moron in terms of genetic ability. Well at least I can say I'm a lifetime drug free..

On the topic of the 700lbs bench. I doubt if Strickland will get it, he seems to have stagnated. I do however believe that Maddox will get the 800lbs bench. He still seems to have lot of momentum going despite being at the 750lbs level already.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Royz said:

The whole PED thing is so disheartening. Every girl on instagram seems to deadlift 500lbs, every guy 800lbs or more. It's hard to believe all of those people are using PEDs. Maybe I'm a naive romantic but I like to believe there are genetic outliers out there that can do that stuff natural. With the current state of drug testing however we will never know for sure and personally I think that's extremely frustrating because I want to know what is really possible and what is not. I am however completely fed up with all of those people saying 'you just have to put in the hard work'. After training for 25+ years and focusing on the deadlift for the last 10 years I still haven't deadlifted 500lbs, so sadly it seems I'm a complete moron in terms of genetic ability. Well at least I can say I'm a lifetime drug free..

On the topic of the 700lbs bench. I doubt if Strickland will get it, he seems to have stagnated. I do however believe that Maddox will get the 800lbs bench. He still seems to have lot of momentum going despite being at the 750lbs level already.

I'll help you out. 800lb deadlift is not possible naturally.  

Putting the time in is a thing of the past for these young internet influencers.  They will do whatever they need to do to get views, take what they need to hit numbers that will bring in those views and subs etc. 

21 hours ago, king crusher said:

I’m 5’8” 195-ish with a fairly athletic build. I don’t consider myself a freak in anyway and I’m closing in on a 405 raw bench. All of my benching is elbows in, back tight, and with pauses. I don’t do any kind of drugs because one side of my family has a history of heart disease, so I am 100% natural. 

I think with the right training and level of commitment people can go beyond what they think they’re capable of, even if they’re all natural. 

I don’t go into training or start new programs with pre-set limits in mind. I don’t have a number in mind where I think I’ll “top off” or “reach my limit”. Thinking like that is for losers. Those who want to be the best shut up and train.

2 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I'll help you out. 800lb deadlift is not possible naturally.  

Putting the time in is a thing of the past for these young internet influencers.  They will do whatever they need to do to get views, take what they need to hit numbers that will bring in those views and subs etc. 

Plus one on this!   Many of These folks that use PEDs  turn from zeros to heroes almost overnight. 

5 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

I’m 5’8” 195-ish with a fairly athletic build. I don’t consider myself a freak in anyway and I’m closing in on a 405 raw bench. All of my benching is elbows in, back tight, and with pauses. I don’t do any kind of drugs because one side of my family has a history of heart disease, so I am 100% natural. 

I think with the right training and level of commitment people can go beyond what they think they’re capable of, even if they’re all natural. 

I don’t go into training or start new programs with pre-set limits in mind. I don’t have a number in mind where I think I’ll “top off” or “reach my limit”. Thinking like that is for losers. Those who want to be the best shut up and train.

It's great to dream big. Make sure you post your 500lb bench when you get there 100% naturally. 

Closing in on 405 and hitting 500 are worlds apart. Not even the same universe.  But go get it.

8 minutes ago, king crusher said:

It's great to dream big. Make sure you post your 500lb bench when you get there 100% naturally. 

Closing in on 405 and hitting 500 are worlds apart. Not even the same universe.  But go get it.

Oh I will, no need to worry about that.