Bending log

Fist of Fury

I have decided to do some bending again and I will log it here. It will be primarily reverse bending and maybe some DU as well. I'm not fleixible enough to bend DO unfortunately.

No goals really, it is just for fun. I need a break from gripper training since I feel it's really tough mentally for me right now.

• Like 6

Tried some DU bending today. Ordered some steel, round and square HRS. Just can't find proper steel to train with. I also ordred some type of CRS, going to try that on next session, then I will try the 8 mm HRS, hopefully everything goes well. Really need to find steel in the right range that is CRS though, since HRS doesn't have any carry-over to CRS in my experience. Kink is too easy.

I've done some work with the WD2 over the weekend as well. Wrists are sore, also done more thumbless thick bar training and grippers as well. Did 15 singles with the 153# #3 yesterday and today I did 3x3. I'm doing MMS with 3 seconds paus (in the open position). Going to keep doing that to work my technique up again, which I've lost for some reason.

Ordered some more sandbags as well, need to find sand for them now. I should have 70, 90, 115 and 135 kg bags now so that should be enough for me.

• Like 1

Some log posts disappeared due to the server crash...

Of what I can remember I did.

Attempts on 8 mm HRS, couldn't bend them completely, also did some grippers, singles, paused with 162~ elites spring and some wrist levering.

After that I did 6x160 mm CRS in one single suede wrap, managed to bend it completely, took 4 minutes, had to find the right way of doing it without destroyng my hands. After that I did paused MMS singles with the Elite spring again 162~, they felt easier than before.

Yesterday I tried another piece of 8 mm HRS and managed a full bend. Still can't kink it in DO or DU, so I have to use reverse in the start. DO feels better and better but only with a pre-kink, so far.

Also tried one lift with the RT, felt terrible. My arms are sore from bending.

Finished some bars I had reversed long ago today.

Did 2 137 kg bars and two G5 bolts all in IMP's. DO is getting better and better by the day now. Hopefully I can maintain some of these newbie gains for a while at least.

Did some grippers in between bends. Paused MMS,
162~: 1, 0.
156#: 1, 0.
153#: 1, 1, 1 (very long pauses).

3 sets of close grip bench and 3 sets of DB rows. Haven't done any rows since November 4th, when I did easy reps with 83 kg, now 36 kg felt like a working weight :laugh

Another GB member made a really nice blob trainer for me, going to focus on blob training with my left hand. I'm having a Legacy blob delivered to me tomorrow. It's going to take a long time before I can lift it, only managed 14 kg on the trainer. I really suck at pinch. I only bought the blob because they are now out of production so I wanted to get one while I had the chance. Going to try to get a lift with it then sell all of it, going to take a while for sure :laugh

Tried another HRS 8 mm today and wasn't able to bend it completely, sweep crush on these are really difficult. Also did 2 G5 bolts, one pre bent to around 20 degrees, the other was bent to only 7 degrees, tried it but couldn't move it DO, so I reversed it to around 20+ and bent it, this was harder than yesterday. So I will rest for a few days now.

Did #3.5 choked to 21 mm, felt very strong so I tried 25 mm and missed it with 1 mm.

Arms are dead now, need a couple of days of rest. 

Got the blob today, can barely pinch it with both hands :blush

You guys who can curl this thing, what (bad word filter)ing planet are you from? :D 

I have tried some more bending and now I managed to bend the G5 bolt from 7 degrees but then I didn't have the strength to crush it down instead :unsure Crush was easy before, now impossible, maybe I was just tired from the first hit I did.

• Like 1

Did some reverse bending and WD2 work yesterday.

Today:

DO bending
Up to 8 mm HRS, first time I managed to bend it with only DO.

Then 7 mm CRS at 190 mm length, reverse bent, leg crushed and chest crushed. Fairly hard steel, probably somewhere in between 166k and 183k at 6". Possibly even harder.

Grippers right hand
COC#3.5 175# - deep set attempt, missed with a hair :rolleyes
156# 37 mm block set - 1x1 (PR).
162~ 20 mm block set - 1x1.
146# 37 mm block set - 2 reps.
GM BTR 30 mm block set - 1x12 seconds.

Blob trainer left hand
5 sets of 10 second holds.

Kettlebell radial deviation - 3 sets.

• 3 weeks later...

Need to update this.

Today I did close grip bench press 5x10 reps for warmup, then DO bending in IMP's.

8x177 mm HRS x 1
7x160 mm CRS  x 3
7x152 mm CRS  x 1
Grade 8 bolt 204k - one hit, got it to 1 degree, which was 1 degree more than I expected so I'm happy with that. Going to order some calibrated steel and hopefully I can use the 7 mm CRS as warmup. I feel stronger at 152 mm than on 170-180 mm.

DB press - 3x10
Tricep push down - 3x12

• Like 1

Monday 10/2/20

Some mobility for shoulders and back.
Band pull apart:
In front of chest: 3x20. 
Behind the head: 3x20.
To the side: 3x15.

Face Pull: 3x15.

Close grip bench press: 5x10.

DO Bending
8x178 mm HRS in suede x 1
7x160 mm CRS in suede x 1 crush down hurt a bit but it didn't stop me.
7x152 mm CRS in IMP's x 1

Reverse
8x178 mm HRS in IMP's.

Some gripper closes.

Wednesday 12/2/20

Some mobility for shoulders and back.
Band pull apart:
In front of chest: 3x20. 
Behind the head: 3x20.
To the side: 3x15.
Close grip bench press: 5x10.
COC#1.5 - 2x8.
COC#2 - 2x8.

Press and tricep/biceps after bending.

DO Bending
Todays victims:
8x165 mm HRS, 7x152 mm CRS, Grade 5 bolt and 8x178 mm CRS 183.25k @6" all in IMP's. Then 7x157 mm CRS in suedes. Feeling good about DO bending now and my shoulder mobility is better than ever.

IMG_0991.JPG

• Like 2

Sunday 16/2/20

Reverse 
Up to one attempt at 7x165 mm CRS in IMP's, got it to 10 degrees. Reverse bedning is weak and has been ever since I quit training it two years ago. Back then I trained only 2 times a week and I think less is more for me when it comes to reverse bending. I think that and thick bar is the only grip related exercises that holds true for me. Probably becuase it basically no technique involved in it.

Monday 17/2/20

Upper body mobility
Band pull apart
behind head - 2x25
to chest - 2x25
to the side - 2x15

Face Pull - 4x12

Bench press - 3 sets

Few gripper closes.

DO Bending
8x178 mm mild steel, pre bent to around 60 degrees, in 180 mm suedes. I had to bail out on this one, was too painful, didn't expect it to be that painful.
7x178 mm CRS in 180 mm suedes x 1 (I'm still weaker at 7", have to place the bar slightly more in to my hands.)
Grade 8 1/4 x 6" 204k in IMP's, from 1 degree to 6.1 degrees with two hits. (This hurt my left knuckle quite a bit, took around 20 minutes before  the pain subsided.)
7x147 mm CRS in IMP's x 1, quite easily, knuckle pain made it harder that it could have been.

DB Rows - 42 kg 3x10

Lat pull down - 2x10

Tricep push down - 2x8

Got really tired after the isometrics on the G8 bolt so I stopped there.

Thursday 20/2/20

Double Overhand
WU with some pre-bent pieces of 8 mm mild steel. I did two of them in IMP's.
7x178 mm CRS in suedes x 1 (I can bend these with ease now).
7x150 mm CRS in suedes x 1
7x143 mm CRS in suedes - sweep stopped me, was tired and it's a bit too hard with suedes, will try with IMP's next time.
Finished with two more pieces of 8 mm mild steel, started with one hand open to train the sweep.

Did grippers before bending. Also did wrist levering before and after bending.

• 1 month later...

Okay so now when I've finally let my grip go I have decided to continue bending. It's the only grip related exercise that I actually enjoy so why not continue when I don't have anything else to do. I feel that bending is way better for me than grip training. It forces me to train the rest of my upper body in order to stay healthy and to get stronger.
With grippers it was almost the opposite, the more I trained my body the weaker I got. At my strongest with grippers I didn't train my body anything, zero, nada, absolutely nothing. Which I find very strange.
With bending I'm forced to train my upper body, especially my shoulders, which is a good thing since my shoulders really need training.

I've lost a little bit of strength but not much, it should come back within a few weeks I think.

Today I did 9 pieces of 7x180 mm CRS in IMP's. Was very sore from yesterday when I did dumbbell rows and a bunch of shoulder exercises. Tried to do 3x3 but I had to stop during the second set and do them with some rest in between, I think it was because I didn't use chalk. Added some chalk on the last bar and it felt easier than all previous eight bars. Tried to do that one as explosively as I could.

Goal will be to bend the red nail or equal, however I will not be sleepless if I don't get there. It's all about having fun anyways, not going for cert or anything like that.

Will try reverse bending once every 14 days as well. I don't have high hopes for it but I will try and see what happens. 

DU I don't know, by far my weakest of the three common styles. Not sure if I'm going to bother with it, I have quit grippers so I don't think there's much to gain from it to be honest.

• Like 1

Monday 6/4/20

7 mm CRS

200 mm IMP's x 1 - Funny how much mobility is involved in DO bending. These are actually harder to kink than pieces all the way down to 160 mm, after the kink they are super easy though.
170 mm IMPS's x 1
170 mm Suede x 1
165 mm Suede x 1
160 mm Suede x 1
150 mm IMP's x 1
170 mm Single IMP - Got some movement, maybe to around 15-20 degrees then it felt like I was going to spear my left hand so I stopped.
145 mm IMP's x 1

Ordered some rated steel to play with:

166.3k Grade 5 bolts
182.45k Grade 4.8 bolts
190.05k Grade 8 bolts

All the bars from 207 to 233 kg should be equal to the red nail, so hopefully I can progress up there.

• Like 2

Just now, Tom Flesher said:

Nice purchases! Are those David Horne bars?

Yup.

• Like 1

Thursday 9/4/20

Done some DB rows on the off days, lost a tremendous amount of strength in this exercise, haven't trained it since October. But that's okay, I'm not going to push the weights I will just train with high reps instead. Did some reps with 66 kg. I first thought I hade loaded 56 kg and I was really disappointed in how it felt :D Very sore in my back and core from it, which is good. 

Tried some DO bending today with 7 mm CRS...

200 mm in IMP's x 1
170 mm in IMP's x 1 (tried without rubber band for the first time, absolutely no difference, not sure why rubber bands is not allowed, made no difference at all)
170 mm in Suede x 1
165 mm in Suede x 1
170 mm in Suede x 1 (put the bar in the freezer, made the sweep and crush significantly harder, which makes sense since the bar should not heat up as much).

Was going to do 10 bars like last week but after the freezing experiment I decided to save five bars and put them in the freezer, will do them next time instead.

Unfortunately the pain I got in my radial bone is coming back. So there's some sort of damage there. Resting for 1-2 months didn't help :( Pain is not as pin point exact as last time, it's more spread out, not sure if that's good or bad... It's not as intense this time, at least not yet. Might have to rest more and see what happens.

Also injured my left wrist but not from bending and it doesn't seem to affect my bending either. I think that will go away in a few days.

• Like 1

Monday 13/4/20

Been doing light wrist levering every day since last time. Tried some DO bending today. After warmup:

Shoulder mobility and warmup
RB400 Chest crush x 1 (easy)
7x200 mm CRS in IMP's x 1
7x160 mm CRS freezed in IMP's x 1 (much easier than the 200 mm bar)
7x180 mm Stainless Steel round bar x 1 (this was perfect, not easy and not too difficult and could do it without feeling any pain. Wish I had more of these, I've had this bar for years in a drawer without doing anything with it.)

I'm trying to write up a plan to follow for three months, which will consist mostly of wrist levering and shoulder training to get ready to attempt harder steel. My right forearm is not ready for hard attempts unfortunately and I will probably break something if I try.

Wednesday 15/4/20

Some reverse bendning. Really suck at it, probably should train it more to improve my DO but I'm not sure I will, just don't think it's fun to fail all the time.

Thursday 16/4/20

Some pushups and some levering as warmup.

DO Bending:

12 AM
2 x 6x152 mm taped together in IMP's & Suedes x 1
7x200 mm in IMP's x 1
7x160 mm in IMP's x 1
8x180 mm square mild steel 183k - one attempt in IMP's, no movement at all :(
Grade 8 190k in IMP's - one attempt, to around 7 degrees, same result as I got with the 204k bolt. Seems like the initial kink isn't the problem, rather the part right after that.

7 PM

7x180 mm in IMP's
1x1
1x1
1x3
1x3
1x2

Tried to add a small nail in the middle and it became impossible, might have to use a longer nail. Will go to the hardware store and get some to try. If it doesn't work out I have to just add volume instead. 6 mm double bars is the next step after these I think.

Really disappointed that I couldn't move the square bar one bit to be honest.

But today was a very bad day, very tired and I did reverse bending yesterday as well.

Monday 20/4/20

Banded Face pulls - 4x10
Push ups - 3x10
Plus some other shoulder stuff
Wrist levering rad & uln devation SS - 2x20 and 1x30 second hold SS.

DO Bending

7x200 mm CRS in IMP's x 1
7x150 mm CRS cooled down in IMP's x 1
Grade 8 Bolt 190 kg in doubles (suede on IMP's) - Holy (bad word filter) these are springy. Will try in singles next time.
7x180 mm CRS in IMP's - 3x4

Felt pretty good today, manage to do all bends without the arm hurting too much. Seems like there's some sort of adaptation after all, let's hope so. Going for six bars in a row next time. But on Thursday I think I will try a harder session with double bars, then next Monday more volume, hopefully 18 bars in total in the same tempo as today.

I have started to do contrast baths again, haven't done them in over two years. I feel they are necessary when bending steel though, so I will keep doing them. 

Will do some more levering tonight as well.

• Like 1

Thursday 23/4/20

Some push ups with elevated feet as warmup.

DO Bending

7x200 mm CRS cooled down in IMP's x 1
7x160 mm CRS cooled down in IMP's x 1
G8 Bolt 190k in IMP's - to around 20 degrees, improvement, need to hold the hits longer though.
2 x 6x180 mm CRS in IMP's x 1 (too light unfortunately)
8x180 mm Square mild steel 183k in doubles - one attempt, no movement :whacked
8x152 mm Square mild steel 183 in doubles - one attempt, no movement there either. thought it was a mobility issue at 7" but apparently not.
G8 Bolt 190k in IMP's + 3/4 Suede - same bolt as I started with, bent fairly easy, felt about the same as doubles did last time.

The best part was that my arm didn't hurt anything at this point.

WD2

Hardcore style - orange spring 2-2 x 3 reps

Reverse Bending

7x180 mm CRS in IMP's x 1
7x180 mm CRS in Suedes x 1
7x180 mm CRS in IMP's touching x 1 (maybe not entirely to 40 degrees, maybe 35 or so. Will check when I have tools to do so)

Best reverse bending session since I quit training bending two years ago I would say.

WD2

Chrome spring 2-2 x 1 rep
Chrome spring B3-F2 x 1 (not completed entirely, a few mm's off)

KB Swing
3x20

No pain at all in my arm, I'm happy about that. Not so happy about how hard the square steel is.

Also got some red nails in the mail. Also some blue and yellow. I will not train with these I will have all of them as goals:

Red Nail - Any style
Blue Nail - Hardcore style (this is the Heslep style in case anyone wonders)
Yellow Nail - Barehand maybe??? 

During the off days I've been doing some more levering, also done light underhand work with the WD2, close grip bench press, tricep work and light pinch with the euro. I'm going to up the weights for levering with 500 g from now, will run that for one month then try some higher intensity work for a month.

Monday 27/4/20

Levering, shoulder work, push ups and some TNS closes with #2 as warmup.

Gripper Chest Crush
G5 x 5
#3.5 x 1
RB330 x 5
RB365 x 1
RB400 x 2
Grippers are too easy but are good as warmup.

DO Bending
7x180 mm CRS cooled down in suedes - 5 in a row, tried the sixth but couldn't kink it. I will skip the IMP's and use the harder suedes instead.

8x180 mm Square mild steel 183k - pre-kinked over leg to around 7-10 degrees, then bent to the position seen on the picture below. My CNS felt absolutely trashed after this so I finished with some push-ups. Looking at the kink I did on this bar I'm not surprised I was not able to kink it DO. Angle was extremely sharp. I have some square HRS that I bought earlier and I will use that to train with as long as it last so I don't have to waste the rated steel. I think it should be similar in difficulty. Will try to kink it DO next time. Not sure I have the strength to crush these (ever). Hardest RB grippers are like toys in comparison to this steel.

IMG_0996.JPG

Wednesday 29/4/20

Did some squats finally, have lost mass on my legs because I have not been able to train with heavy weights these last few months.

Hardcore Bending
2 x short pieces of 6 mm CRS. After 50 reps with the WD2 each side.

Do Bending
8 mm square steel I have is harder to kink than the 207k rated round bars I have. Can't move them one bit. Tried the 207k bar because I wanted to know if it was because of bad mobility or just lack of strength. Mobility feels fine, it's just much harder to kink square steel I guess. Got some movement on the 207k bar in IMP's, only a little, like 1-2 degrees but that's more than nothing. Tried three more hits in doubles and got it to around 7-8 degrees. I think I will skip ordering a bunch of different steel. I will use padding as progression instead.

Friday 1/5/20

A bit overtrained right now. I will go back to twice a week again. Tried three times this week and it's a bit too much for me with this intensity.

Tried som Reverse bending today, didn't feel like doing DO.

Attempt with IMP's touching last week was 39 degrees. Today I got 32 degrees.

Will rest completely for two days now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been feeling terrible for a long time now. Today was my best training session in a long while. I've been upping the frequancy on powerlifting, so maybe that's why I'm starting to feel a little bit better. Still feels like I'm 85 years old when squatting tho. Today I did box zerchers squats. Then I was going to do bench press but as always my hips started to cramp during the sets. I just can't do squats before bench. I won't even try again. Will do bench next session instead.

Then I went on and tried grippers for the first time in over two months and to my surprise I was able to close the GHP7. Had no chance at the GHP8 tho.
I tried grippers a week ago and I wasn't able to close my lightest #3 then, so this was a pretty good result for me. Left hand is extremely weak from bending, I could probably not even close a #2.5 if I tried.

So on to DO bending, I managed to bend my first Red Nail, it was done in doubles and it took me around 50 minutes in total.

IMG_1002.JPG

• Like 2