2017 June - NAGS thoughts (promoter perspective)

MCrushetta

11 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Um. No. I dont akways drink beer but when i do i prefer Dos Equis. Like, seriously. Dos Equis is my jam.

So what beer are you drinking

19 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Im drinking my beloved Mexican beer!

by golly!

Still dont see beer

4 hours ago, Geralt said:

Lol oh yes I read the stuff I give a like, but I do have to say that I interpreted your remark about hurt feelings not in terms of that previous post of JamesG. I would say my bad then. 

I do follow Kapman that no one implied that previous records were the reason for discarding the axle. 

Jhenze made a good post. The Euro however doest cost more time as single event compared to the several implements in a medley of which the ones named are part of. So not really sure if these compare right....

Ha! Grippers, true. Lots of technique, though strength has a lot to do with it. I train grippers a lot and set is buttersmooth, only strength is missing, otherwise I'd be CCS-ing freak #3's for breakfast. 

what beer are we talking about btw. Don't tell me Budweiser? Better be Grolsch or Heineken yes. 

If you want to see if it's your setting ability or your gripper strength - choke some grippers to parallel and have at it.  My set is something to laugh at but in a choker I can hang with lots of the good grippers guys.  Best contest was a calibrated 191.8 - best training was an easy #4 at 194.+ of Heath Sextons.   And a full range of grippers costs as much as a Euro :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, climber511 said:

If you want to see if it's your setting ability or your gripper strength - choke some grippers to parallel and have at it.  My set is something to laugh at but in a choker I can hang with lots of the good grippers guys.  Best contest was a calibrated 191.8 - best training was an easy #4 at 194.+ of Heath Sextons.   And a full range of grippers costs as much as a Euro :)

True, my closing strength for choked grippers is higher then from any set but this is because of different positioning in the hand and momentum, just like with an unpaused set. Being able to explode against the handles is so much different. Although I couldn't close a 180+ gripper from choker now. But that's also because I don't train chokerwork. Well, every piece of gripequipment is super expensive for me. Getting a gripper from whatever company means paying an extra gripper for shipping. So for the money, I could have had double the amount of gripstuff I have now. Quite devastating realising this now :blink Ha! I sold my Euro, it's now in Indonesia with Theo Burggraaff, a Dutch COC from 2005. Flask works well for me since I since I am just that cellar dwellar doing my thing. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Geralt said:

True, my closing strength for choked grippers is higher then from any set but this is because of different positioning in the hand and momentum, just like with an unpaused set. Being able to explode against the handles is so much different. Although I couldn't close a 180+ gripper from choker now. But that's also because I don't train chokerwork. Well, every piece of gripequipment is super expensive for me. Getting a gripper from whatever company means paying an extra gripper for shipping. So for the money, I could have had double the amount of gripstuff I have now. Quite devastating realising this now :blink Ha! I sold my Euro, it's now in Indonesia with Theo Burggraaff, a Dutch COC from 2005. Flask works well for me since I since I am just that cellar dwellar doing my thing. 

In reality it doesn't take too much equipment to develop a very strong grip.  Where the equipment comes in is learning all the techniques to maximize performance in each event.

Theo - a blast from the past - very strong guy!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

And lol to all the bright ideas of growing the sport. Lets say that those of us that argue against the new "ideas" decide to up and move on and let you change what you want to change. Then in a few years when grip is still the same size or smaller on YOUR new ideas, you can take it to the bank that another "new" group with "better" ideas will come along on you as well. And you'll see then that all the "new" ideas you had prior didnt change anything significant, and thats the moment youll realize all the "new" isnt worth jack.

If you are so against all new ideas for growing the sport and don't care if it grows or not, why not stay out of a thread that was intended to start a conversation about ways to make the sport more accessible and easier to manage from a promoter perspective? Nothing was brought up to water down lifts and talking about "purism" in grip is flat out ridiculous. I plan to continue bringing up ideas -  and ultimately the consumers of grip products and the attendees at competitions will decide whether or not it grows and/or what they like to use. 

• Like 2

Grip sport might grow at a faster rate if a few individuals want to eliminate the DO axle at NAGS championship that was attended by 17 or so athletes? I like the guy who bent 3 red nails in under 1 minute argument. Crossfit and powerlifters is your growth both enjoy deadlifting

• Like 1

Like I said, gripsport. The other powerlifting

This is pretty much what it feels like. Except we have a medley.

Edited by KapMan