Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride

JHenze646

37 minutes ago, Jörg Keilbach said:

Yes i have both the formal and the casual Bowtie. The casual ( black )   could be worn for longer periods during the day. The formal ( red ) should be used during your warm up. The Bowtie pulls you into and teaches you good position. It will save your rotator cuffs and labrums.

Thank you, Sir.

Bah Humbug update

I had some vacation time to use up and decided to take a few days off before the end of the year. That was a mistake. 

I had hoped to catch up on some reading, finish up\start some projects, and get in a few extra workouts. None of which will happen. I decided to start the program I was trying over again after the new year. With all the disruption it would be futile to try and continue. I hit blockweights, stones, hearted a DC0H, and brought a DcHind0 to 180. I will probably just have random workouts like this til I can start back up the program again.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to travel for the week before Xmas and got a nasty cold when I returned home, so no gym time in 2 weeks+.

1st of 2017

Sp, pullups, Bp, rows all light weight and moderate reps to easy back in.

Grprs up to 136 5x1, then speed closes 109 2(3×1)

DO bending IMP's 1/4 sqr x3

Shoes Sx7 to heart

Edited by JHenze646
Added link

Bp, pull ups, Sp, bent row all with light weight still working back into things.

Tried grprs but my hands were a bit too fried. Did 3x1 with 109

Did a couple sets of finger curls* and rolling handle wrist curls- think Country Crush.

Squat &.Deads with chains

Something about pulling against chains makes my form better and just plain stronger

Crusher up to 120 3x1 

Bw lunges, finger walks*, wrist roller, side bends*

*In talking with different competitors and reading training related posts, I have noticed a theme. This also holds up when reviewing my own training log. for each athlete there is an exercise done as active recovery, warm up, low intensity volume, or unrelated accessory that affects their competition lifts. Most recently both Gil and Lucas talked about Ball/shot rotation helping their overall grip strength. Kody and Jon Vance have also regarded this exercise. I believe Andrew Durniat has mentioned wrist rollers along these lines. I have personally found that finger walks indirectly affect my pinch and finger curls help thick bar. (The finger curls were to help with grippers but did not.)  Side bends, since done one handed with a barbell help with wrist stability, think bending. I am hypothesizing (read wild unfounded guess) that these "accessory exercises" are very important for conditioning, balancing and coordinating the hands. I hope to find a select few to incorporate into my training moving forward for continued improvement.

If you have any thoughts on this or exercises you would like to share that have aided in improvement, Please comment. I look forward to any responses.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

*In talking with different competitors and reading training related posts, I have noticed a theme. This also holds up when reviewing my own training log. for each athlete there is an exercise done as active recovery, warm up, low intensity volume, or unrelated accessory that affects their competition lifts. Most recently both Gil and Lucas talked about Ball/shot rotation helping their overall grip strength. Kody and Jon Vance have also regarded this exercise. I believe Andrew Durniat has mentioned wrist rollers along these lines. I have personally found that finger walks indirectly affect my pinch and finger curls help thick bar. (The finger curls were to help with grippers but did not.)  Side bends, since done one handed with a barbell help with wrist stability, think bending. I am hypothesizing (read wild unfounded guess) that these "accessory exercises" are very important for conditioning, balancing and coordinating the hands. I hope to find a select few to incorporate into my training moving forward for continued improvement.

If you have any thoughts on this or exercises you would like to share that have aided in improvement, Please comment. I look forward to any responses.

My biggest recovery exercises have been the dexterity balls, which I learned about through Kody, and sledgehammer work, which I also got coached on by Kody. I don't know if these exercises necessarily make me any stronger, but they definitely allow me to continue training when I would otherwise be too injured or sore to do so, which indirectly contributes to my strength gains.

• Like 1

Well, I forgot to log a whole week.

Catch up update

Monday - Sp, pullups, Bp, Bent row 

Grprs Up to 129 3x2  my hands were still fatigued to a point, grippers are usually affected first

DO Bending 1/4 sqr.  I couldn't get the bar anywhere near the correct position and stopped here.

Shoes SX7 x 2 to 180 The second shoe was faster than the first

Tuesday - Squats, Deadlifts with chains, rev.hypers, situps

1hp - 35's 5x1  Blockweights blob37 AMRAP x2 loaded to platform Finger walks  a few sets

Thursday - Sp, pullups(band assisted), BP, Bent row

Finger curls 2x20, Wrist roller 2 sets

Friday - Squats, Deadlifts with chains, side bends

Crusher 110 3x5

Some time ago I stopped buying alcohol. I occasionally have a glass of wine, but nothing much. I was not a big drinker to begin with but I appreciate Irish Whiskey and Bourbon. I also stopped drinking coffee completely at first but now I hope to only have coffee occasionally. I love coffee.  Changing these two things have had some interesting consequences. It is nothing major just little things i was not aware of before.

I am continuing to try to eat more and gain some mass with mixed results. It is a continuous struggle to eat all the food I should be eating and life situations are complicating meal planning and preparations. My weight is slowly climbing though. Conditioning is also a struggle.

Next week I hope to move into a more structured training program.

Started back up with HoB program

Mon.

Bp, 3 Brd, band assist, 

Dbp, skulls, pull ups b.a., bent row

Grprs up to 135 5 attempts

DO bending 1/4 sqr x2 couldn't get to position

Tues

Box SQ, lunges, sit ups, back ext.

Blockweights up to 45 x 1 then reps with 37

11hp 2 x 35'  3 x 6 second holds

Strange thought of the day:

Some projects seem to take on a life of their own. It will often feel like I can't rest until a certain project is complete. Sometimes I miss meals and lose sleep just to work on something. Its not like it's dedication. Its like I have no choice. Other projects meander or sit idle with hardly a care. 

Upcoming Comps:

The first games of the season is Feb. 18 and I am hoping to attend. I am looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Training update

Regular lifting has continued and...

Injury report: 

Something happened to my left index finger. It was swelled and painful for a few days. It however didn't bruise. It still feels off-ish. I have ceased all grip training and bending.  I hope to start rehab/active recovery in a week or so.

• 4 weeks later...

Bp and wrist work

A dozen 60D nails in leathers 

Proto-type Griplement testing - cleared & ready for finish

Today I received a grip gym upgrade.

0224172138.jpg

• Like 2

SSB box squats with chains - sometimes you have to accessorize.

Finger walks, fingers curls, & finger ext.

I have this time after a set of exertion on any kind of exercise or activity were I haven't quite returned to normal. It might be focus or fatigue or lack of oxygen. I don't know. But I do the dumbest stuff.  I will miss load my next weight, pour my drink on the floor, take my shoes off, etc. Hopefully nothing sharp or explosive is near by.

I usually draw on my power rack with a dry-erase marker. Tonight I permanently put 4 more sets on there that I will never get to complete.

I call the occurrences Meathead Moments.

Thanks for reading my log.

• Like 2

Grprs - light work including a few CCS

DO imps 1/4sqr x2, 8"Bastard attempt(wobble)

New toys are the best!

0228171946.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Still puting in work. Aside from one good grpr work out, nothing worth mentioning. I need to focus on some goals and train to achieve them. I need the weather to break.

So I made this mini rolling handle the other day. I got carried away in the idea of it, made lots of mistakes, and didn't really have a plan on what to do with it. It's too big for novelty and too flimsy for use.  The batteries are AAA for scale and it's 304 stainless. I Need to start thinking this through better. What am I going to do with all this stuff?...

0316172228.jpg

Here are some recent misses from training. I did get the first close on a new Ghp7 so there is that.0318171221.thumb.jpg.840075b27320a4263587d3e21dd5b923.jpg58d15197e63c0_QuickMemo_2017-03-20-19-43-46-1.png.f147e6e0c05f99bd6dfc3dd62f089e4e.png

Hit SSB box squats with all the chains. 5x2

It was supposed to be 100%+ at the top- best guesstimate

Grprs 152 4x1 both hands like butter 136 3x2 110 3x3

Setting into my left hand has been on lately. Psyched.

Although the weather wasn't ideal, I headed to the park hoping to throw.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the winter barriers open. The throwing field is open!

Knocked some of the rust off my glide, HWFD, and hammer. Sadly I discovered my cabers did not fare well last winter and are deteriorating.

Hit the gym when I got back

2brd press with bands and chains 5x2

Do bending in IMP 1/4sqr x2, 8" Bastard attempt - No go

I need to completely rebuild my bending technique

• Like 1

Threw Thursday, at like 9pm, in the dark.

Braemar, LWFD, hammers

Felt beat up Friday, decided to lift and throw Sat.

Deads with chains, sumo block pulls, pause pulls.

First time training the Flask. I couldn't get a tight fit on my loading pin. It felt loose. Worked up to 75 freedom units, then hit 62 for 3x2.

Went throwing afterward

Both stones and weights, hammer, caber, wob-practice, and sheaf. I practiced yelling while throwing.

During throwing a mentally challenged man ran up to me, shook my hand, then ran past me and tried getting in the drivers seat of my van. The whole time his caretaker was in hot pursuit yelling, "he is disabled. Don't hurt him. He's disable."

0401171448.thumb.jpg.ab089d31e15203b1d9725f7680d7464c.jpg

This is my practice heavy weight. Its a bunch of 3/8 plate steel scraps now welded together. I need to replace the eye bolt with a proper loop welded to the top. 

And in case your wondering, I throw about as good as I stick weld(see weight above).

Thanks for reading my log.

• Like 2

Welds look good - 6011 AC?

7 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

Welds look good - 6011 AC?

Yes 6011 ran on DC.  There is also some 7018 & 6013 under the mud and on the other sides.

Thank you but as with most things I feel I am capable of better.

I don't have my own shop yet and have to take my opportunities where I find them. I have had the most opportunity to tig but I want/need to spend some time with and practice stick.

• Like 1

Bp and squats. 2brd, overhead, oars, and good mornings.

Grprs - easy come, easy go

I missed singles all over the place, left and right(pun intended) 129 3x2, 109 3x3

1h Flask up 75 2x1, 65 3x2

On 4/2/2017 at 7:53 PM, JHenze646 said:

Yes 6011 ran on DC.  There is also some 7018 & 6013 under the mud and on the other sides.

Thank you but as with most things I feel I am capable of better.

I don't have my own shop yet and have to take my opportunities where I find them. I have had the most opportunity to tig but I want/need to spend some time with and practice stick.

If you are already running tig that is pretty much the hardest process to master imo. Stick is hard to learn but easy to master once you get a feel for the slag'n'drag. 7018 DC is a staple and just needs a tight arc. Don't even worry about the arc just drag the tip and watch the puddle. 

• Like 1