Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride

JHenze646

Party all night Friday

Squat 225 3x10 last set was with a belt and felt easy

Strict press 110 3x10

Finger walks 8# x 4, finger extension 3x30, pro/sup 4# hammer 3x10, Ttk 12 3x10, wrist curls 45 3x10, rev. Climber curl 20 3x10, some hammer levers.

Looks like a good session to me!

Strong work bro

Thanks, Dave. How is your bent press training going?

I'm actually working mostly the big 3 lifts now with some fat bar for grip.

Party all night Friday

Squat 225 3x10 last set was with a belt and felt easy

Strict press 110 3x10

Finger walks 8# x 4, finger extension 3x30, pro/sup 4# hammer 3x10, Ttk 12 3x10, wrist curls 45 3x10, rev. Climber curl 20 3x10, some hammer levers.

Looks like a good session to me!

Strong work bro

Thanks, Dave. How is your bent press training going?

I'm actually working mostly the big 3 lifts now with some fat bar for grip.

I hope you didn't drop them entirely. You were hitting some sweet lifts. I usually watch your YouTube videos but I don't check your log as frequently as I would like. Your squats look really solid. You should be able to hit some good numbers, 2x bw.

Work has been busy and stressful. A work/life balance is not easy. I was fortunate enough to have an open Saturday, no life stuff, no work headaches. I went to the park and threw hammer and caber. I had a couple better hammer tosses, as I realized I needed to and started to relax. I threw the light caber(~70 lb) and practiced yelling. - helped even more with relaxing

The evening was the neighborhoods trick or treat. I took some phonebooks, 60D nails, and several packs of cards along with the candy in case anyone asked for a trick.

I tore two phonebooks, reversed 3 nails, and quartered a deck of cards mostly to entertain my niece and nephew, but some to taunt my younger brother. He fought with a deck of cards forever but eventually ripped them in half. My older brother, making a better study of the technique, ripped a deck in half in about 30 seconds.

Another fun Sunday

Deadlifts C-P wk4 some reps felt fast also I started pulling my warm ups thumbless. All but maxes are pulled DO for the most part.

Grprs CBT week3 - mixed bag at this point.

Farmers 170 50 ft turn&return x3

Shoes Dc0 x R, 0hind x L I had to really work for the hind.

I set up a grip medley.post-23285-0-67790900-1446435377_thumb.jpost-23285-0-65776200-1446435397_thumb.j

I ran through it twice and noticed a few things. I have to be prepared for the lift, my blockweights are coming back, and I am terrible at hubs.

The medley took so long to setup and break down, I didn't have the time or energy to do stones.

Stones 190 2 lifts

Next weekend will start a deload most likely as I will be traveling for work and after starts training for Gripmas!

Thank you for reading my log. If you have any comments, programming suggestions, or questions, I would love to hear them.

• Like 1

Tuesday

Axle PP 170 3x3 the cleans were terrible but the presses felt fast and easy.

Lots of bw Pullups mostly sets of five

Bp 210 5x5 OAR 100 5x6

Inc Db, shrugs, bent row, curls, r.flye, floor press

Why do I have to stop now Wednesday

Squat 315 5x1 Crusher 125 5x1, 140x1 - progress!

DO bending 60dx2, 1/4sqr, 5/16 G2, 70D, BBW 5/16 ?steel, hexabastard fail - not even a wobble

Something is way too tight in my shoulders and I can't even fight the steel into position. I was kinking low on my chest and way around the bar.

Rev.Hyper, side bends, Situps, kb swings, and Fitness squats.post-23285-0-09236300-1446693520_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

On the road Wednesday

After travel and several long days, I made sure I had a clear evening to get a least one workout in. I had limited time so I had to choose something close. It was either planet fitness or La fitness. I called La fitness and made sure they offered a guest pass. When I arrived the desk attendant gave me the whole sales pitch, blah blah blah $30 a month. I tell her I only need a guest pass for that evening. She says that its $20. Are you serious...

Dead lift C-P wk5 pulled warm ups thumbless

Squats 255 5x5

Pull ups lots of sets of 5 varying grips

Bp 205 5x5

Ohp 115 5x6

Pullover machine, low row machine, and leg extensions.

After lifting in my own gym and other athlete gyms for the past year or two, comercial gyms boggle the mind. There was one squat rack, after my third set of anything some one would ask me if I was done with the piece of equipment I was using, and no matter what execise I was doing someone would set up right next to me and try to out lift me by reps or weight. Strange places.

The leg extensions were so weak and pathetic, I was laughing loudly.

Honestly if you have or can make better options why would you choose a commercial gym.

I am looking forward to returning home for regular food and resuming training.

Off th plane Saturday

My brother stopped to use the gym. I tried to show him 2HP, Deadlifts, braced and reverse bending. I am still learning these things myself and don't feel qualified to be teaching someone but I want him to have some idea of what he is going to be doing at Gripmas. He has a knockoff ISG, his 2HP wasn't bad and will improve, and I gave him 6 or so timber ties and a set of leathers to practice reverse.

Another fun Sunday

I got a little ahead of myself and skipped some of my warm up. I backed up and hit the forgotten exercises and noticed right away how rundown I was.

Deads - warm ups pulled thumbless C-P wk6

Grprs CBT week5

2hp worked up to 170 3x3

Farmers 160 50ft turn&return x3

Shoes R Dc0, L 0hind, SCF Lite Rim1 to heart - PRpost-23285-0-33838900-1447642931_thumb.j

blob37 hula x 2 sets, figure 8s x 2 sets, tosses x 2sets, several flip attempts, cleans 2x3, snatches x several singles/attempts

Inch trainer 105 2 x5 switching

Stones 190 x 2, 220 2x3, 190x3 - lifted outside to chest height.

10 more training days till Gripmas!

Torn Tuesday

They delivered phonebooks to the area where I work & one of my co-workers ga e one to me as a present. It was the smaller but thicker size. When I walked into the gym I saw that this size phonebook was starting to pile up. I tore it perpendicular to the binding for a pretty good feeling tear, for me anyway.

Axle push press to 200 4x1 I wore a belt for these, still being cautious, Bw Pullups 7x6

SP 150 3x2, B.rows, floor press w/ chains, OH/Shrugs, curls, tri. ext, rear/side laterals

SCF PL3 attempt to 140 ish.

Wednesday

SSB 260 5x3 w/ belt 135x16

Crusher 105 5x5

DO bend 60D x2, 1/4 sqr, rev 3/16 x 2, 1/4 titanium to wobble this is a good iso piece with all the spring

Rev.Hyper, side bends, and situps

8 more training days til Gripmas.

• Like 1

From memory Friday

Finger ext., finger walks, pro/sup rotation, Ttk, wrist curls, rev. Climber curl.

Cleans -worked up to 165x3 all awkward & caught 155 with my throat.

Squats 225 3x10

Bp 225 3x2

Another Fun Sunday

Grprs CBT week6 3 hard singles afterward.

Deadlifts C-P wk7

2HP 180 3x2 - then several dangerous attempts at a deloaded 2x45 pinch

Shoes L 2 SCF LR1 to 140ish to work harden. Workman 3 slight kink

Stones 190x3, 220 3x3

Farmers picks 180, 230, 250x1post-23285-0-57954300-1448324908_thumb.jpost-23285-0-39923200-1448324935_thumb.j

Tuesday

Push press - axle 185x3, 160 3x5, Pullups 7x6

Strict press 90 3x10 ovh/shrugs 3x10

Floor press, OAR 70 5x10

Tri ext., curls, rear & side laterals

A little club swinging

Gearing up Wednesday

Grprs CBT week7 failed the first three sets, dropped back a gripper for last two sets

Squat 335 5x1, Crusher 120 5x3 solid

Fr. Sq 2x10, G.morn 3x10, DO bending IMP 60D x2, 1/4 sqr

My right hand is bruised from a spike weeks ago so these are just maintenance bends but my shoulders were looser.(swings?)

Side bends&Situps

Played with my welded(for now) inch trainer.

Four more training days til Gripmas!

Black Friday

I debated on going shopping today when the metal supermarket's email newsletter let me know that they were in fact open today, but I have had such poor luck with getting good steel, I decided against it.

Snatch* 95 3x5 back and shoulders were fighting me every rep

Squat 235 3x10, Bp 260 5x1, 135x20, B. Row 135 4x10

Fing. Ext&walks, pro/sup rotation, wrist&reverse climber, Ttk, phonebook tear

Clubbell swings - I have done a bunch of these in a while and they felt so good.

Sheaf tosses x 10 or so

Another Fun Sunday

Deadlifts -warm ups thumbless

C-P Week 8 465 x FAIL This was supposed to be a double but I couldn't even get it off the ground. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to finish the program correctly because of an upcoming work trip but I didn't even need to concern myself with it.

I don't even know what to do with this. My deadlift hasn't moved in 3 years or so.

2HP 190 2x1

DOAD up to 290x1

Bent a spike, reversed a 60D, and finished off one of the LR1 @140

Farmers 160 50ft turn&return 2 trips

Stones 190 x 5 loads

Tuesday

Push press 190x3, 160 3x3, Pullups +25 5x2, Bw 2x5, band assist 3x8

Strict press 100 3x8, floor press 155 3x5

B.row, ovh/shrugs

One more training day before Gripmas!

• Like 1

Wednesday

Deload workout

Crusher and light blockweights

It wasn't a deload week for Gripmas. It is a deload week because the day after Gripmas I have a work trip for a few days where it going to be hard to eat let alone get workouts in on some kind of program. I will have to make some changes when I get back anyway.

Goals for Gripmas

Make it there.

Get a chance to talk and hang out.

Make a decent medley run.

Here we go!

Wednesday

Deload workout

Crusher and light blockweights

It wasn't a deload week for Gripmas. It is a deload week because the day after Gripmas I have a work trip for a few days where it going to be hard to eat let alone get workouts in on some kind of program. I will have to make some changes when I get back anyway.

Goals for Gripmas

Make it there.

Get a chance to talk and hang out.

Make a decent medley run.

Here we go!

The Medley is pretty sweet this year. Oh it's tough too :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And here is my medley run.

There are lots of mistakes but a slight improvement over the past couple medleys.

• Like 2

And here is my medley run.

There are lots of mistakes but a slight improvement over the past couple medleys.

great job in the medley dude, that thin 2hp you got looked impressive, also that 2 handed wrist wrench.. solid run through and way to come back and dominate the saxon bar. Showed your well-rounded strength... always nice to hear Brent barkin at you in the background lol

• Like 1

On Wednesday I hit a reload workout of squats, strict press, and deadlift for 3x8 with light weight. Later tonight(Fri) I am going to max squat, push press, and deadlift because I haven't done it in a while and I can use the numbers to set up a new training plan. I will try to video the lifts and post it for criticism.

Gripwork has been lots of light weight/high rep stuff on wrist curls, Vulcan, Ttk, and finger walks. I don't have any immediate plans for grip training so I was going to try a few week of lighter flushing exercises.

• Like 1

Friday

Enjoy!

Squats

I rarely ever squat to a 1rm. Sometimes I do singles but the last time I did a 1rm was over a year ago(360#). My brother had stopped to lift(&ask when the next grip comp is). I was telling him I see people hit easy lifts and be like "that was a max". My third squat was real close if not a max on this night. 345, 365, 380

Overhead push press

These felt off from the start and I could not get a good camera shot. My drive was off and I was throw and catching the weight, then trying to press it. 200, 210, 220x fail

Deadlift

No surprises here. I need to work on technique. 435, 455,465x FAIL

Did a bunch of finger walks & finger ext.

DO bend IMP 60dx2, 1/4sqr, 9/32 SSpost-23285-0-09402600-1449930096_thumb.j

• Like 1

Gripmas report (sort of)

It was very good Gripmas for me this year but not necessarily only from a competition stand point.

Ultimately we all make the choice to compete for ourselves depending on whatever factors affect us, real or imagined. I wanted to spread the word this year and get as many people as I could involved. There are tons of people that grip comps would be good for, for enjoyment, for a break from life, for goals, for realizing there is more out there, for realizing competition is not a me/us against them endeavor. It was very forntunate to have so many new and beginning competitor. It was amazing to see so many people make a long trip to be there. It was worth it to be there to meet and spend time with them.

I wish I had more time and wish I didn't live far away.

ISG

I pull a spot in the line right after Andrew P. I immediately realized this was perfect. Andrew and I are close strength wise in grippers(overall he has the advantage). I didn't have to pick my attempts. I just tried what Andrew picked. I joked with him about this. He eventually beat me in this event too.

The "gripper" event at Gripmas is always good because it's hasn't been TSGs since I started going and everybody is at the same disadvantage. "Show up strong and compete."

2HP

My 2hp has almost always under performed at contests. This was not that day, however. I had the pleasure of sharing the platform with Mr. Sundin. The pace was perfect. The competition 2hp felt drastically different than the warm up one and I entered too low. I made a few ten pound jumps and finished with a five pound increase to my fourth attempt at 216 for a solid pull and a contest PR. I took an unofficial attempt afterwards...

Axle

Axle sucked. My top two lifts were sloppy and questionable.

Medley

The last few medleys I have done have been terrible, tons of misses, no plan, flailing, one mistake after another.

I still made mistakes left and right but made a few improvements. It is a move in the right direction. Video above.

Mostly it was amazing to be there with good people. Thank you everyone.

• Like 4

Sunday that never was

I pinched a nerve or something in my shoulder today doing light power snatches* right after warming up. I tried to to roll it out, put liniment on it, and stretch. To no avail. It hurt to touch my fingers together. After about an hour I gave up. I just signed up for an event in January. So very frustrated.

You've made impressive progress man...month after month after month. This is just a speedbump on your journey. However long this setback is...take a moment to appreciate how far you have come.

• Like 1